Re: Newbie with a project (macro? simple?)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      I am almost there!

      I have incorporated all of the activity into one clip. But there is
      a problem. I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen
      the research page. My commands ...

      ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
      ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%#
      ^!Delay 12
      ^!Keyboard )
      ^!Keyboard Alt+O
      ^!Keyboard DOWN

      ... are at the very end, after all the navigation, research and
      pasting from the clipboard, and yet, the very FIRST thing that
      happens when I run the clip is the presentation of the Type in info
      box!

      Any way around this?

      Thanks so much for all your help.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
        Hi Sheri,

        > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
        > research page. My commands ...

        You need to use braces for that instead of brackets:

        ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
        ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          This did not work for me

          > ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

          I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

          Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input field but
          I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can live with it.

          The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
          substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows were
          getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't work for one
          vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular title bar has a
          question mark in it. Would comparing the question mark require
          something special? Testing a partial with a asterisk also wouldn't
          work. I tried assigning the title bar text to a variable and getting
          the clip to type it out. I used the result to determine what to test
          for, and it definitely has the question mark. When the application
          is running, the title bar is also formatted (yellow text in italics),
          but no special codes printed out when my clip typed out my variable.

          Any ideas?

          Thanks,
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
            Hi Sheri,

            > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
            > research page. My commands ...

            I forgot to add a line last night and thought about it today. You
            need to put your Titlebar name in below. You really ought to think
            about using a loop instead of Delay in certain places to keep from
            having problems at times.

            ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
            ^!FocusApp "Titlebar name"
            ; ^!Delay 2

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
              Hi Sheri,

              >> ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN
              >
              > I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

              If I remember correctly you had a Delay *before* the ^!Keyboard
              above. It might have appeared that the ")" was causing it to
              fail, but it may have been the delay. I do not see any reason
              where the ")" would make a difference. the following shortcuts
              will not be executed until after the #macro#.

              > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
              > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
              > live with it.

              ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
              switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
              things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
              NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
              OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
              amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
              recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
              in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
              to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
              amount of copies.

              > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
              > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
              > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
              > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
              > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
              > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
              > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.

              Send the full Titlebar name please.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                Hi Jody,

                > > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
                > > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
                > > live with it.
                >
                > ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                > switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
                > things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
                > NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
                > OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
                > amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
                > recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
                > in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
                > to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
                > amount of copies.

                FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the Catalog
                I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by displaying both
                programs simultaneous (not maximized), that didn't happen.

                > > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                > > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
                > > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
                > > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
                > > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
                > > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
                > > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.
                >
                > Send the full Titlebar name please.

                The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My variable
                set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the Windows
                Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left and another
                on the Right with file detail. The two panes are untitled.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Hi Sheri,

                  >> ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                  >> switching to NoteTab and back.

                  > FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the
                  > Catalog I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by
                  > displaying both programs simultaneous (not maximized), that
                  > didn't happen.

                  OK, I understand now, but you still might want to use FocusApp to
                  make sure once you fill in the field that the focus is indeed back
                  on your edit field.

                  You might want to copy the field in the Edit window of your app
                  putting it into a variable and then use braces in your wizard with
                  the variable in it so you can stay max'ed in both programs if that
                  is the way you prefer it.

                  You would get the focus in the edit window and then (if not already
                  selected):

                  ^!Keyboard Ctrl+A Ctrl+C ^!Set %Vari%=^$GetClipboard$ ^!Set
                  %Vari2%=^?{Input=^%Vari%} ^!FocusApp ... ^!Keyboard ... >> Send the
                  full Titlebar name please.
                  > > The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                  > italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My >
                  variable set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                  Try this:

                  ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                  ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-1

                  or similar

                  ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2

                  You might have to play around with it for awhile, but something on
                  that line should work and once you find it then it should not err
                  and the there will be no wasted delay time to speak of.

                  > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                  > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                  > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                  > untitled.

                  That might be a problem. ;)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 7, 2000
                    Hi Jody,

                    Just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Its working quite
                    nicely now, and is considerably faster than before. I must have been
                    lacking quotation marks when I tried focusing "Where*" in the loop
                    before.

                    I also added a

                    ^!KeyboardDelay 0

                    which helped, and got rid of the Keyboard typeout of my input field.
                    Also enhanced the input field to include some multiple choices <g>

                    Now if only I could get through all the records -- over 1000 of them!

                    > > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                    > > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                    > > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                    > > untitled.
                    >
                    > That might be a problem. ;)

                    That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
                    swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>

                    I am very impressed with what I've learned of NoteTab. Reading the
                    feature comparison, I noted that labels are excluded from the Light
                    version. I imagine they would be pretty important for complex tasks,
                    logical branching, etc.?

                    Take care,
                    Sheri
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                      so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for us casual
                      observers?

                      ---
                      Don Passenger
                      Court Page: http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/~dpasseng/grdc
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                        --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
                        > so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for
                        us casual
                        > observers?

                        You really interested? <g> The keystrokes used are pretty special
                        purpose, but if you're following the discussion, I guess it could be
                        helpful. If is a work in progress though. -Sheri

                        :Start
                        ^!KeyboardDelay 0
                        ^!FocusApp "Search"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+T
                        ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2
                        ^!Delay 3
                        ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                        ^!Delay 3
                        ;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the left
                        and right panes)
                        ^!keyboard DOWN
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                        ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                        Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!FocusApp NoteTab*
                        ^!Delay 2
                        ^!Keyboard HOME
                        ^!FocusApp Learn*
                        ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Choose a value=NA|101|102|_201|205|210|320|400|400-
                        S|XXX}
                        ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                        Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!Keyboard ALT+C
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                        ^!Delay 3
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+F
                        ^!FocusApp "Search"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!ActivateApp
                        :GetTit
                        ^!Find \t R
                        ^!Keyboard Shift+Home
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
                        ^!Keyboard HOME DOWN RIGHT
                        ^!Skip Correct Title? ^$GetClipboard$
                        ^!Goto GetTit
                        ^!FocusApp "Search"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                        ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                        Next else Skip_-1
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!Keyboard CTRL+A
                        ^!Delay 2
                        ^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
                        ^!Keyboard Alt+O
                        ^!Delay 12
                        ^!Keyboard DOWN
                        ^!ActivateApp
                        ^!Goto Start
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                          Hi Sheri,

                          >^!KeyboardDelay 0

                          I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                          >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                          >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                          >^!Delay 3
                          >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                          >left
                          >and right panes)

                          It is still reading the other Titlebar then.

                          >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)

                          Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                          use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                          Jody with a "y" says, Good NoteNite! :)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                            Hi Jody,

                            > >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                            >
                            > I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                            The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                            > >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                            > >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                            > >^!Delay 3
                            > >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                            > >left
                            > >and right panes)
                            >
                            > It is still reading the other Titlebar then.
                            >
                            > >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                            >
                            > Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                            > use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                            ok, but it works ;)

                            I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to work
                            either.

                            Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                            enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                            find the option to show unprintable characters.

                            Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                            possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                            should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                            Thanks,
                            Sheri, with an "i" <g>
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                              Hi Sheri,

                              >> >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                              >>
                              >> I forgot what you said you used that for like that?
                              >
                              >The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                              I guess that is what Eric meant by "Set nnn to 0 for maximum
                              speed." in Help. ;) He might have a delay built in the command
                              already - I'll find out sometime.

                              >> >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                              >
                              >ok, but it works ;)

                              Yes, but you should still keep your quotes or not quotes even and
                              also the spaces:

                              ^!If "^%NewData%" <> "NA"
                              ^!If ^%NewData% <> NA

                              ^!If Integer1 <>= Integer2
                              ^!If "String1" <>= "String2"

                              >I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to
                              >work either.

                              Try ^$GetField(row:col)$ when in NoteTab. If it is from your
                              other program you might try copying the line and use something
                              like:

                              ^!Toolbar Paste New
                              ^!Set %Field%=^$GetField(1:col)$
                              ^!Close Discard

                              "Col" is not a character column, but a field column:

                              field1=column1 field2=column2 field3=column3

                              >Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                              >enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                              >find the option to show unprintable characters.

                              View | Nonprinting text (Shift+F12) or the Toolbar/Shortcut menu

                              (I checked this time to make sure I was right instead of going
                              from memory like the Perl/Number Lines thread <g> thanks Larry)

                              >Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                              >possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                              >should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                              I don't think you will have any problem installing over 4.81.
                              You might get lucky and reset the timer. <g>

                              >Sheri, with an "i" <g>

                              ;)