Re: [Clip] Re: Newbie with a project (macro? simple?)

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
      Hi Sheri,

      > One thing neither of you addressed was how to assign execution
      > of a clip to a keystroke (like say ALT+F12). At the moment, I
      > am doubleclicking the name of the clip in the clip list.

      We do not have customizable keystrokes at this time; they are
      coming in version 5 though. You can execute the focused Clip
      with Ctrl+Spacebar though. In registered/Trial versions you can
      put the Clip on the Clipbar, but me thinks you are not the mouser
      type. ;)

      > Also, must the focus be in NoteTabs to initiate a keyboard
      > macro?

      Not from the Clipbar generally speaking. The Library does not
      even have to show up on the Libraries bar either, but can have
      the hidden attribute set removing its button from the bar. You
      can still access the Library from the combo-box above the Clips
      though.

      > Here is what I had come up with. Works, but only sometimes.
      > Am hopeful that the !Delay command will solve the problems. I
      > think the more data is pasted from the clipboard, the longer
      > the delay must be. Also, more native clipboard commands would
      > have made this less cryptic.

      Actually, Ctrl+V is fast. I would suspect the timing problem to
      be in the edit portion especially if it is opening a different
      window. If so, send in the title of that window (like you did
      Search) and I can give you some loop code to wait for that window
      to become focused before continuing. No delay is needed then.
      You might find you do not need any delay at all before Ctrl+V.

      > In this one, after some preliminary navigation, TAB DOWN ENTER
      > should take me to a detail record and show the description
      > (long enough to read it) and then more keystrokes navigate back
      > to the starting point. Unfortunately in most tests the TAB
      > seems not to get executed, and it goes DOWN from the wrong
      > place.

      Is there an Alt+something to get there instead?

      > BTW I am running NoteTabs Light 4.81 with Trial Features
      > enabled (26 days left). Is all this clip capability included in
      > the freeware version ?!

      Everything you are doing is in Light, the Freeware. There are
      only a few commands that are not and that is because they are not
      in Standard at all.

      You are getting better on the name of the program you are using.
      ;) You changed Note Tabs to NoteTabs. Now take the "s" off and
      you will have it right! <g>

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
        --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Jody <KJB1611@a...> wrote:

        > > One thing neither of you addressed was how to assign execution
        > > of a clip to a keystroke (like say ALT+F12). At the moment, I
        > > am doubleclicking the name of the clip in the clip list.
        >
        > We do not have customizable keystrokes at this time; they are
        > coming in version 5 though. You can execute the focused Clip
        > with Ctrl+Spacebar though. In registered/Trial versions you can
        > put the Clip on the Clipbar, but me thinks you are not the mouser
        > type. ;)

        I had not even discovered the Clipbar yet. Now I've made one, with
        customized icons. If I can get this right, and only need one
        clip/macro, I think I will prefer Ctrl-Spacebar though <g>

        > > Here is what I had come up with. Works, but only sometimes.
        > > Am hopeful that the !Delay command will solve the problems. I
        > > think the more data is pasted from the clipboard, the longer
        > > the delay must be. Also, more native clipboard commands would
        > > have made this less cryptic.
        >
        > Actually, Ctrl+V is fast. I would suspect the timing problem to
        > be in the edit portion especially if it is opening a different
        > window. If so, send in the title of that window (like you did
        > Search) and I can give you some loop code to wait for that window
        > to become focused before continuing. No delay is needed then.
        > You might find you do not need any delay at all before Ctrl+V.

        !Delay did work, I found, but Focusing the new window is faster and
        works better. Thank you. It doesn't seem to want a loop.

        > > In this one, after some preliminary navigation, TAB DOWN ENTER
        > > should take me to a detail record and show the description
        > > (long enough to read it) and then more keystrokes navigate back
        > > to the starting point. Unfortunately in most tests the TAB
        > > seems not to get executed, and it goes DOWN from the wrong
        > > place.
        >
        > Is there an Alt+something to get there instead?

        No, but SHIFT+TAB was an alternate method, and that works in the
        macro. Thanks again ;)

        Now I want to get a little more complicated and combine the clips.
        Starting in NoteTab (singular <g>), I want to copy the information in
        the current line to the clipboard as before.

        Then, focusing the Catalog, and then the detail screen I want to do
        the research. While the information I need is displayed, I want to
        be prompted to input the info. It will usually be only 3
        characters. After the clip subsequently navigates to right place, it
        should paste the information from the clipboard, the type a Space,
        Open Paren, data collected - i.e., the three characters, Closed
        Paren. It would continue on from there with the original
        instructions:

        ^!Keyboard ALT+O
        ^!Keyboard Down

        Trying to use the clip wizard with square brackets, I got prompted in
        the right place, with curly brackets I found the prompt open over
        NoteTab instead of the Catalog app. Regardless I was unable to
        access the variable after pasting the original data from the
        clipboard.

        So, teacher <g>, how do you do this?

        Thanks,
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
          Hi Sheri,

          > !Delay did work, I found, but Focusing the new window is faster
          > and works better. Thank you. It doesn't seem to want a loop.

          I guess I will have to guess since you did not send the name on
          the Titlebar. ;)

          ^!FocusApp "Titlebar Name"
          ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;13)$" "Titlebar Name" Next else Skip_-1

          "13" is the number of characters in the window Titlebar.

          or the following, but you need to look out for conflict:

          ^!FocusApp "Titlebar*" ^!IfSame
          "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;8)$" "Titlebar" Next else Skip_-1

          You might get a way with just the following, but I have found it
          does not always work in all windows. I think maybe there might
          be a hidden character in the ones it does not work in.

          ^!FocusApp "The Name on Titlebar"
          ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "The Name on Titlebar" Next else Skip_-1

          It is best not to use delays when you do not have to. The above
          is more exact and delays are guesswork. They will differ to
          depending on if the app is started for the first time or if it is
          a restart. Keyboard commands is another one to stay away from if
          you have a choice. That is why I did not use it to select your
          criteria in the first example I sent. I prefer the ^$GetField
          myself in your case. Nevertheless, personal preference, etc.,
          and since it is your own Clip and not for public use you don't
          have to worry as much about what you choose.

          > Now I want to get a little more complicated and combine the
          > clips. Starting in NoteTab (singular <g>),

          Now you are official and are not offensive. <bg>

          > Trying to use the clip wizard with square brackets, I got
          > prompted in the right place, with curly brackets I found the
          > prompt open over NoteTab instead of the Catalog app.

          I am pretty sure there was a time that the prompt would come up
          over the app we were in. If I remember correctly, Eric said he
          changed it for better window handling. I don't like it myself.
          If I wanted to focus NoteTab I would simply use ^!ActivateApp
          before the prompt. My memory could be wrong though.

          > Regardless I was unable to access the variable after pasting
          > the original data from the clipboard.

          ^!SetClipboard ^?[Type in info]
          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

          or a longer way if that does not work for some reason:

          ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
          ^!SetClipboard ^%NewData%
          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

          or if you want to watch it type it out ;)

          ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
          ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%#

          > So, teacher <g>, how do you do this?

          Learn to write scripts. ;)

          http://www.sureword.com/ftp/clipclass.zip

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            I am almost there!

            I have incorporated all of the activity into one clip. But there is
            a problem. I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen
            the research page. My commands ...

            ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
            ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%#
            ^!Delay 12
            ^!Keyboard )
            ^!Keyboard Alt+O
            ^!Keyboard DOWN

            ... are at the very end, after all the navigation, research and
            pasting from the clipboard, and yet, the very FIRST thing that
            happens when I run the clip is the presentation of the Type in info
            box!

            Any way around this?

            Thanks so much for all your help.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
              Hi Sheri,

              > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
              > research page. My commands ...

              You need to use braces for that instead of brackets:

              ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
              ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                Hi Jody,

                This did not work for me

                > ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

                I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

                Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input field but
                I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can live with it.

                The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows were
                getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't work for one
                vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular title bar has a
                question mark in it. Would comparing the question mark require
                something special? Testing a partial with a asterisk also wouldn't
                work. I tried assigning the title bar text to a variable and getting
                the clip to type it out. I used the result to determine what to test
                for, and it definitely has the question mark. When the application
                is running, the title bar is also formatted (yellow text in italics),
                but no special codes printed out when my clip typed out my variable.

                Any ideas?

                Thanks,
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Hi Sheri,

                  > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
                  > research page. My commands ...

                  I forgot to add a line last night and thought about it today. You
                  need to put your Titlebar name in below. You really ought to think
                  about using a loop instead of Delay in certain places to keep from
                  having problems at times.

                  ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
                  ^!FocusApp "Titlebar name"
                  ; ^!Delay 2
                  ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                    Hi Sheri,

                    >> ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN
                    >
                    > I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

                    If I remember correctly you had a Delay *before* the ^!Keyboard
                    above. It might have appeared that the ")" was causing it to
                    fail, but it may have been the delay. I do not see any reason
                    where the ")" would make a difference. the following shortcuts
                    will not be executed until after the #macro#.

                    > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
                    > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
                    > live with it.

                    ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                    switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
                    things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
                    NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
                    OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
                    amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
                    recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
                    in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
                    to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
                    amount of copies.

                    > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                    > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
                    > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
                    > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
                    > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
                    > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
                    > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.

                    Send the full Titlebar name please.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                      Hi Jody,

                      > > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
                      > > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
                      > > live with it.
                      >
                      > ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                      > switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
                      > things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
                      > NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
                      > OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
                      > amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
                      > recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
                      > in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
                      > to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
                      > amount of copies.

                      FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the Catalog
                      I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by displaying both
                      programs simultaneous (not maximized), that didn't happen.

                      > > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                      > > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
                      > > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
                      > > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
                      > > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
                      > > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
                      > > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.
                      >
                      > Send the full Titlebar name please.

                      The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                      italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My variable
                      set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                      As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the Windows
                      Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left and another
                      on the Right with file detail. The two panes are untitled.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                        Hi Sheri,

                        >> ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                        >> switching to NoteTab and back.

                        > FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the
                        > Catalog I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by
                        > displaying both programs simultaneous (not maximized), that
                        > didn't happen.

                        OK, I understand now, but you still might want to use FocusApp to
                        make sure once you fill in the field that the focus is indeed back
                        on your edit field.

                        You might want to copy the field in the Edit window of your app
                        putting it into a variable and then use braces in your wizard with
                        the variable in it so you can stay max'ed in both programs if that
                        is the way you prefer it.

                        You would get the focus in the edit window and then (if not already
                        selected):

                        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+A Ctrl+C ^!Set %Vari%=^$GetClipboard$ ^!Set
                        %Vari2%=^?{Input=^%Vari%} ^!FocusApp ... ^!Keyboard ... >> Send the
                        full Titlebar name please.
                        > > The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                        > italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My >
                        variable set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                        Try this:

                        ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                        ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-1

                        or similar

                        ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                        ^!Delay 1
                        ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2

                        You might have to play around with it for awhile, but something on
                        that line should work and once you find it then it should not err
                        and the there will be no wasted delay time to speak of.

                        > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                        > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                        > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                        > untitled.

                        That might be a problem. ;)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 7, 2000
                          Hi Jody,

                          Just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Its working quite
                          nicely now, and is considerably faster than before. I must have been
                          lacking quotation marks when I tried focusing "Where*" in the loop
                          before.

                          I also added a

                          ^!KeyboardDelay 0

                          which helped, and got rid of the Keyboard typeout of my input field.
                          Also enhanced the input field to include some multiple choices <g>

                          Now if only I could get through all the records -- over 1000 of them!

                          > > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                          > > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                          > > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                          > > untitled.
                          >
                          > That might be a problem. ;)

                          That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
                          swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>

                          I am very impressed with what I've learned of NoteTab. Reading the
                          feature comparison, I noted that labels are excluded from the Light
                          version. I imagine they would be pretty important for complex tasks,
                          logical branching, etc.?

                          Take care,
                          Sheri
                        • Don Passenger
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                            so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for us casual
                            observers?

                            ---
                            Don Passenger
                            Court Page: http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/~dpasseng/grdc
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                              --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
                              > so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for
                              us casual
                              > observers?

                              You really interested? <g> The keystrokes used are pretty special
                              purpose, but if you're following the discussion, I guess it could be
                              helpful. If is a work in progress though. -Sheri

                              :Start
                              ^!KeyboardDelay 0
                              ^!FocusApp "Search"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+T
                              ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2
                              ^!Delay 3
                              ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                              ^!Delay 3
                              ;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the left
                              and right panes)
                              ^!keyboard DOWN
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                              ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                              Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!FocusApp NoteTab*
                              ^!Delay 2
                              ^!Keyboard HOME
                              ^!FocusApp Learn*
                              ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Choose a value=NA|101|102|_201|205|210|320|400|400-
                              S|XXX}
                              ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                              Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!Keyboard ALT+C
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                              ^!Delay 3
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+F
                              ^!FocusApp "Search"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!ActivateApp
                              :GetTit
                              ^!Find \t R
                              ^!Keyboard Shift+Home
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
                              ^!Keyboard HOME DOWN RIGHT
                              ^!Skip Correct Title? ^$GetClipboard$
                              ^!Goto GetTit
                              ^!FocusApp "Search"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                              ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                              ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                              Next else Skip_-1
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!Keyboard CTRL+A
                              ^!Delay 2
                              ^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                              ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
                              ^!Keyboard Alt+O
                              ^!Delay 12
                              ^!Keyboard DOWN
                              ^!ActivateApp
                              ^!Goto Start
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                                Hi Sheri,

                                >^!KeyboardDelay 0

                                I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                                >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                                >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                >^!Delay 3
                                >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                                >left
                                >and right panes)

                                It is still reading the other Titlebar then.

                                >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)

                                Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                                use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                                Jody with a "y" says, Good NoteNite! :)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                                  Hi Jody,

                                  > >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                                  >
                                  > I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                                  The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                                  > >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                                  > >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                  > >^!Delay 3
                                  > >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                                  > >left
                                  > >and right panes)
                                  >
                                  > It is still reading the other Titlebar then.
                                  >
                                  > >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                                  >
                                  > Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                                  > use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                                  ok, but it works ;)

                                  I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to work
                                  either.

                                  Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                                  enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                                  find the option to show unprintable characters.

                                  Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                                  possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                                  should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Sheri, with an "i" <g>
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                                    Hi Sheri,

                                    >> >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                                    >>
                                    >> I forgot what you said you used that for like that?
                                    >
                                    >The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                                    I guess that is what Eric meant by "Set nnn to 0 for maximum
                                    speed." in Help. ;) He might have a delay built in the command
                                    already - I'll find out sometime.

                                    >> >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                                    >
                                    >ok, but it works ;)

                                    Yes, but you should still keep your quotes or not quotes even and
                                    also the spaces:

                                    ^!If "^%NewData%" <> "NA"
                                    ^!If ^%NewData% <> NA

                                    ^!If Integer1 <>= Integer2
                                    ^!If "String1" <>= "String2"

                                    >I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to
                                    >work either.

                                    Try ^$GetField(row:col)$ when in NoteTab. If it is from your
                                    other program you might try copying the line and use something
                                    like:

                                    ^!Toolbar Paste New
                                    ^!Set %Field%=^$GetField(1:col)$
                                    ^!Close Discard

                                    "Col" is not a character column, but a field column:

                                    field1=column1 field2=column2 field3=column3

                                    >Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                                    >enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                                    >find the option to show unprintable characters.

                                    View | Nonprinting text (Shift+F12) or the Toolbar/Shortcut menu

                                    (I checked this time to make sure I was right instead of going
                                    from memory like the Perl/Number Lines thread <g> thanks Larry)

                                    >Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                                    >possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                                    >should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                                    I don't think you will have any problem installing over 4.81.
                                    You might get lucky and reset the timer. <g>

                                    >Sheri, with an "i" <g>

                                    ;)