Re: [Clip] Newbie with a project (macro? simple?)

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 4:04 PM
      Hi Sheri

      >Here is what I want to do, and am thinking that Note Tabs may make
      >this possible. If not, anybody have another suggestion?

      >I will be active in a text file in Note Tabs. I will position the
      >cursor in a line of text. I want to hit a hot key that will somehow
      >trigger Note Tabs to do the following:

      >1. Go to the start of the line, select text up to the tab, and copy
      >to the Clipboard
      >2. Switch to the Catalog program (which will already be running, and
      >where I will have pre-set the highlighted record) (Alt-Tab? - if not
      >this might be complicated, because the focus is in a secondary window
      >titled "Search".
      >3. Edit Description (Ctrl-E in Catalog)
      >4. Paste from Clipboard (Ctrl-V)
      >5. Press OK (Alt-O)
      >6. Press down arrow to advance to the next record in Catalog
      >7. Stop. I will do some manual research and confirm the next
      >selection (record postition) in the Catalog, possibly save the
      >Catalog, and return to NoteTabs to reexecute from a different place.

      Probably a clip could be written to accomplish most if not all. (someone on
      this list may already have a very similar clip which would only need slight
      modifications so as to then be taylored for your useage)

      With a clip, Notetab has the power to bring into focus another app that is
      running. The text in the upper left of the title bar of the running app is
      *very* important. This text is needed to be used in the clip and it also is
      how NoteTab knows which running app to bring into the fore or into focus.
      Alt-tab may also be a possibility, though most clips utilize the title bar's
      text.

      Your #'s 3 thru 7 above are very easy. If you have the clip library named
      "SampleCode" (comes with NoteTab Pro 4.82) there are three "Keyboard Macro"
      examples contained in that library. You can run them and also You can view
      these clips one at a time in the clip editor to see how the code is written.
      Also, I just used NoteTab's help section "help topics", clicked the index
      tab and scrolled down to "keyboard" and "keyboard macros" which lists "how
      to" regarding the proper syntax to be used (keyboard commands and macros)
      inside a clip.

      If I currently could avail some more time I could help further. Perhaps
      this be enough for starters then you could combine your discoveries with the
      input of others on this list.

      Best regards. Alan.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7 7:33 PM
        Hi Sheri,

        > Just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Its working
        > quite nicely now, and is considerably faster than before.

        Glad to hear it!

        > Imust have been lacking quotation marks when I tried focusing
        > "Where*" in the loop before.

        Yep, that will do it. I noticed you removed them awhile back and
        figured I'd let you find out for yourself so you could remember
        it better. We sort of have a rule of thumb on the list and that
        is if there are times that quotes are needed use them all the
        time for that command/function. In your case a single word does
        not need them, but since two or more (contains a space) requires
        them, then it is best to just get in the habit of using them for
        that command.

        > Now if only I could get through all the records -- over 1000 of
        > them!

        Try looping the whole Clip. You can also you a loop checking for
        like:

        ^!Delay 2
        ^!IfTrue ^$IsAltKeyDown$ Next else Skip_-1

        to look at the edit thing you wanted to in your program, even do
        a copy of it, and then press the Alt key when you want to get the
        prompt to enter your text.

        > That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
        > swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>

        There might be a way, but it is hard to tell from this end. ;)

        > I am very impressed with what I've learned of NoteTab.

        Me too!!!

        > Reading the feature comparison, I noted that labels are
        > excluded from the Light version. I imagine they would be pretty
        > important for complex tasks, logical branching, etc.?

        Where are you reading that at? That should not be there anymore.
        Light now supports and Clip code that Standard does.

        You can use labels to loop with, to do subroutines, to skip lines
        or sections of the script under certain conditions, etc.

        ^!If 5 = ^%Number% Next else Letter
        ^!Goto Somewhere

        :Letter

        :Somewhere

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8 8:26 AM
          Hi Jody,

          > Try looping the whole Clip. You can also you a loop checking for
          > like:
          >
          > ^!Delay 2
          > ^!IfTrue ^$IsAltKeyDown$ Next else Skip_-1
          >
          > to look at the edit thing you wanted to in your program, even do
          > a copy of it, and then press the Alt key when you want to get the
          > prompt to enter your text.

          Both interesting ideas I'll have to play with <g>

          Just have to keep the two apps syncronized on the data. There are
          more records in the text file than are showing in the Catalog
          listing. Very often the next record in each app matches though.
          Also, I may try to alter the contents pasted in the description based
          on the value of my input field (beyond pasting the actual value of
          the field).

          > > That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
          > > swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>
          >
          > There might be a way, but it is hard to tell from this end. ;)

          Is it possible to access the status line of the window (down at the
          bottom) similar to the titlebar text? When the focus is on the Left
          Side of the Explorer like window, the first field of the status line
          says "Loaded" and the second field has the name of the current disk
          or folder. When you switch to the right pane, the first field still
          says "Loaded" but the second field says "Previous Folder...". If I
          could somehow know that the second field equals "Previous Folder..."
          my ^!KEYBOARD DOWN would happen in the right place.

          > > Reading the feature comparison, I noted that labels are
          > > excluded from the Light version. I imagine they would be pretty
          > > important for complex tasks, logical branching, etc.?
          >
          > Where are you reading that at? That should not be there anymore.
          > Light now supports and Clip code that Standard does.

          Had a hard time finding it again <g>

          In the Help file, "Clip Language - Testing Conditions" last command
          shown is:

          >^$IsLightVersion$
          >Returns 1 if the NoteTab program currently running is the Freeware
          >version (trial mode not enabled), or 0 if it is not. Useful to check
          >if the full set of Clipbook commands are supported or not. The
          >Freeware version does not support labels (except EXIT) nor the
          >following features: RunPerl, RunGawk, RunScript.

          I'm not positive that this is where I read it, but it looks familiar.

          Take care,
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8 10:41 AM
            Hi Sheri,

            >Very often the next record in each app matches though.

            I suggested putting the data in your program into a variable and
            bringing it up in a wizard because if there is just a bit that
            changes you will have it right there and only have to edit what
            needs it. Same thing with selecting text and hitting Replace. ;)

            >Is it possible to access the status line of the window (down at the
            >bottom) similar to the titlebar text?

            It would depend on the program I suppose. Some windows cannot be read.

            >When the focus is on the Left Side of the Explorer like window,
            >the first field of the status line says "Loaded" and the second
            >field has the name of the current disk or folder.

            Try putting this in your Clip to see if it can be read. Use
            ^!Keyboard or however to get the focus to the bar.

            ^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$

            >Had a hard time finding it again <g>
            >
            >In the Help file, "Clip Language - Testing Conditions" last
            >command shown is:

            Are you in v4.82? This is what mine says under that:

            ^$IsLightVersion$
            Returns 1 if the NoteTab program currently running is the
            Freeware version (trial mode not enabled), or 0 if it is not.

            The rest of it was deleted.