Newbie with a project (macro? simple?)

  • silvermoonwoman@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 4, 2000
      I've just discovered Note Tabs and can sense its power. I'm a fairly
      sophisticated user of computer apps but not a programmer.

      I need to fill the description field of a ton of records in a catalog
      program. There is no facility for a batch update.

      Here is what I want to do, and am thinking that Note Tabs may make
      this possible. If not, anybody have another suggestion?

      I will be active in a text file in Note Tabs. I will position the
      cursor in a line of text. I want to hit a hot key that will somehow
      trigger Note Tabs to do the following:

      1. Go to the start of the line, select text up to the tab, and copy
      to the Clipboard
      2. Switch to the Catalog program (which will already be running, and
      where I will have pre-set the highlighted record) (Alt-Tab? - if not
      this might be complicated, because the focus is in a secondary window
      titled "Search".
      3. Edit Description (Ctrl-E in Catalog)
      4. Paste from Clipboard (Ctrl-V)
      5. Press OK (Alt-O)
      6. Press down arrow to advance to the next record in Catalog
      7. Stop. I will do some manual research and confirm the next
      selection (record postition) in the Catalog, possibly save the
      Catalog, and return to NoteTabs to reexecute from a different place.

      Thanks for any help!

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 4, 2000
        Hi Sheri,

        > I will be active in a text file in Note Tabs.

        NoteTab. ;)

        > 1. Go to the start of the line, select text up to the tab, and
        > copy to the Clipboard

        ^!Jump Line_Start
        ^!Find "^t" S
        ^!Jump Select_Start
        ^!Select Bol
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$

        Same thing here, but easier to write and less commands to interpret:

        ^!SetDelimiter ^t
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetField(^$GetRow$;1)$

        > 2. Switch to the Catalog program (which will already be
        > running, and where I will have pre-set the highlighted record)
        > (Alt-Tab? - if not this might be complicated, because the focus
        > is in a secondary window titled "Search".

        ^!FocusApp "Search"

        >3. Edit Description (Ctrl-E in Catalog)

        ; allow a bit of time to get there - may not be needed
        ^!Delay 2
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+E

        >4. Paste from Clipboard (Ctrl-V)

        ; allow a bit of time for the edit field - may not be needed
        ^!Delay 2
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

        >5. Press OK (Alt-O)

        ^!Keyboard Alt+O

        or if default

        ^!Keyboard Enter

        > 6. Press down arrow to advance to the next record in Catalog

        ^!Keyboard Down

        > 7. Stop.

        ^!Keyboard Stop ? <g>

        So, you might have something like this:

        ^!SetDelimiter ^t
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetField(^$GetRow$;1)$
        ^!FocusApp "Search"
        ^!Delay 2
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+E
        ^!Delay 2
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
        ^!Keyboard Alt+O
        ^!Keyboard Down

        or shortened:

        ^!SetDelimiter ^t
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetField(^$GetRow$;1)$
        ^!FocusApp "Search"
        ^!Delay 2
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+E &10 Ctrl+V &5 Alt+O &5 Down

        In some isolated cases Ctrl+V might not work especially if you
        have a Library open with OnClipboardChange in it. In that case
        you would need to use the macro method that Alan was speaking of,
        but Ctrl+V is much faster. To replace the Ctrl+V you would use
        this with the number signs #^$GetClipboard$#.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
          Thanks, Alan and Jody,

          Jody you are a star, can't wait to try your methods!

          Saw Alan's message yesterday, and overcame my "fear of trying" <g>

          One thing neither of you addressed was how to assign execution of a
          clip to a keystroke (like say ALT+F12). At the moment, I am
          doubleclicking the name of the clip in the clip list. Also, must the
          focus be in NoteTabs to initiate a keyboard macro?

          Here is what I had come up with. Works, but only sometimes. Am
          hopeful that the !Delay command will solve the problems. I think the
          more data is pasted from the clipboard, the longer the delay must
          be. Also, more native clipboard commands would have made this less
          cryptic.

          ^!Find \t R
          ^!Keyboard Shift+Home
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
          :BringToFront
          ;Bring Search Window to the front
          ^!FocusApp Search
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+E &600 CTRL+V &1000 ALT+O
          ^!Keyboard Down

          I tried a second macro for aiding in research in the catalog, but it
          is usually failing as well. Again, !Delay may be the solution. In
          this one, after some preliminary navigation, TAB DOWN ENTER should
          take me to a detail record and show the description (long enough to
          read it) and then more keystrokes navigate back to the starting
          point. Unfortunately in most tests the TAB seems not to get
          executed, and it goes DOWN from the wrong place. Since TAB wasn't
          working, I tried $09 instead but no improvement :D. Here is that
          clip, for whatever suggestions you can offer. You can see the long
          delays I attempted before and after the $09 (&4000 etc.)

          ^!KeyboardDelay 500
          ^!FocusApp Search
          ^!PlayBack Keys CTRL+T &4000 $09 &3000
          ^!keyboard DOWN &800 ENTER &6000 ALT+C &1000 TAB CTRL+F &2000
          ^!FocusApp NoteTab*

          BTW I am running NoteTabs Light 4.81 with Trial Features enabled (26
          days left). Is all this clip capability included in the freeware
          version ?!

          Thanks again for the help.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
            Hi Sheri,

            > One thing neither of you addressed was how to assign execution
            > of a clip to a keystroke (like say ALT+F12). At the moment, I
            > am doubleclicking the name of the clip in the clip list.

            We do not have customizable keystrokes at this time; they are
            coming in version 5 though. You can execute the focused Clip
            with Ctrl+Spacebar though. In registered/Trial versions you can
            put the Clip on the Clipbar, but me thinks you are not the mouser
            type. ;)

            > Also, must the focus be in NoteTabs to initiate a keyboard
            > macro?

            Not from the Clipbar generally speaking. The Library does not
            even have to show up on the Libraries bar either, but can have
            the hidden attribute set removing its button from the bar. You
            can still access the Library from the combo-box above the Clips
            though.

            > Here is what I had come up with. Works, but only sometimes.
            > Am hopeful that the !Delay command will solve the problems. I
            > think the more data is pasted from the clipboard, the longer
            > the delay must be. Also, more native clipboard commands would
            > have made this less cryptic.

            Actually, Ctrl+V is fast. I would suspect the timing problem to
            be in the edit portion especially if it is opening a different
            window. If so, send in the title of that window (like you did
            Search) and I can give you some loop code to wait for that window
            to become focused before continuing. No delay is needed then.
            You might find you do not need any delay at all before Ctrl+V.

            > In this one, after some preliminary navigation, TAB DOWN ENTER
            > should take me to a detail record and show the description
            > (long enough to read it) and then more keystrokes navigate back
            > to the starting point. Unfortunately in most tests the TAB
            > seems not to get executed, and it goes DOWN from the wrong
            > place.

            Is there an Alt+something to get there instead?

            > BTW I am running NoteTabs Light 4.81 with Trial Features
            > enabled (26 days left). Is all this clip capability included in
            > the freeware version ?!

            Everything you are doing is in Light, the Freeware. There are
            only a few commands that are not and that is because they are not
            in Standard at all.

            You are getting better on the name of the program you are using.
            ;) You changed Note Tabs to NoteTabs. Now take the "s" off and
            you will have it right! <g>

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
              --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Jody <KJB1611@a...> wrote:

              > > One thing neither of you addressed was how to assign execution
              > > of a clip to a keystroke (like say ALT+F12). At the moment, I
              > > am doubleclicking the name of the clip in the clip list.
              >
              > We do not have customizable keystrokes at this time; they are
              > coming in version 5 though. You can execute the focused Clip
              > with Ctrl+Spacebar though. In registered/Trial versions you can
              > put the Clip on the Clipbar, but me thinks you are not the mouser
              > type. ;)

              I had not even discovered the Clipbar yet. Now I've made one, with
              customized icons. If I can get this right, and only need one
              clip/macro, I think I will prefer Ctrl-Spacebar though <g>

              > > Here is what I had come up with. Works, but only sometimes.
              > > Am hopeful that the !Delay command will solve the problems. I
              > > think the more data is pasted from the clipboard, the longer
              > > the delay must be. Also, more native clipboard commands would
              > > have made this less cryptic.
              >
              > Actually, Ctrl+V is fast. I would suspect the timing problem to
              > be in the edit portion especially if it is opening a different
              > window. If so, send in the title of that window (like you did
              > Search) and I can give you some loop code to wait for that window
              > to become focused before continuing. No delay is needed then.
              > You might find you do not need any delay at all before Ctrl+V.

              !Delay did work, I found, but Focusing the new window is faster and
              works better. Thank you. It doesn't seem to want a loop.

              > > In this one, after some preliminary navigation, TAB DOWN ENTER
              > > should take me to a detail record and show the description
              > > (long enough to read it) and then more keystrokes navigate back
              > > to the starting point. Unfortunately in most tests the TAB
              > > seems not to get executed, and it goes DOWN from the wrong
              > > place.
              >
              > Is there an Alt+something to get there instead?

              No, but SHIFT+TAB was an alternate method, and that works in the
              macro. Thanks again ;)

              Now I want to get a little more complicated and combine the clips.
              Starting in NoteTab (singular <g>), I want to copy the information in
              the current line to the clipboard as before.

              Then, focusing the Catalog, and then the detail screen I want to do
              the research. While the information I need is displayed, I want to
              be prompted to input the info. It will usually be only 3
              characters. After the clip subsequently navigates to right place, it
              should paste the information from the clipboard, the type a Space,
              Open Paren, data collected - i.e., the three characters, Closed
              Paren. It would continue on from there with the original
              instructions:

              ^!Keyboard ALT+O
              ^!Keyboard Down

              Trying to use the clip wizard with square brackets, I got prompted in
              the right place, with curly brackets I found the prompt open over
              NoteTab instead of the Catalog app. Regardless I was unable to
              access the variable after pasting the original data from the
              clipboard.

              So, teacher <g>, how do you do this?

              Thanks,
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                Hi Sheri,

                > !Delay did work, I found, but Focusing the new window is faster
                > and works better. Thank you. It doesn't seem to want a loop.

                I guess I will have to guess since you did not send the name on
                the Titlebar. ;)

                ^!FocusApp "Titlebar Name"
                ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;13)$" "Titlebar Name" Next else Skip_-1

                "13" is the number of characters in the window Titlebar.

                or the following, but you need to look out for conflict:

                ^!FocusApp "Titlebar*" ^!IfSame
                "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;8)$" "Titlebar" Next else Skip_-1

                You might get a way with just the following, but I have found it
                does not always work in all windows. I think maybe there might
                be a hidden character in the ones it does not work in.

                ^!FocusApp "The Name on Titlebar"
                ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "The Name on Titlebar" Next else Skip_-1

                It is best not to use delays when you do not have to. The above
                is more exact and delays are guesswork. They will differ to
                depending on if the app is started for the first time or if it is
                a restart. Keyboard commands is another one to stay away from if
                you have a choice. That is why I did not use it to select your
                criteria in the first example I sent. I prefer the ^$GetField
                myself in your case. Nevertheless, personal preference, etc.,
                and since it is your own Clip and not for public use you don't
                have to worry as much about what you choose.

                > Now I want to get a little more complicated and combine the
                > clips. Starting in NoteTab (singular <g>),

                Now you are official and are not offensive. <bg>

                > Trying to use the clip wizard with square brackets, I got
                > prompted in the right place, with curly brackets I found the
                > prompt open over NoteTab instead of the Catalog app.

                I am pretty sure there was a time that the prompt would come up
                over the app we were in. If I remember correctly, Eric said he
                changed it for better window handling. I don't like it myself.
                If I wanted to focus NoteTab I would simply use ^!ActivateApp
                before the prompt. My memory could be wrong though.

                > Regardless I was unable to access the variable after pasting
                > the original data from the clipboard.

                ^!SetClipboard ^?[Type in info]
                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

                or a longer way if that does not work for some reason:

                ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
                ^!SetClipboard ^%NewData%
                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

                or if you want to watch it type it out ;)

                ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
                ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%#

                > So, teacher <g>, how do you do this?

                Learn to write scripts. ;)

                http://www.sureword.com/ftp/clipclass.zip

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                  Hi Jody,

                  I am almost there!

                  I have incorporated all of the activity into one clip. But there is
                  a problem. I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen
                  the research page. My commands ...

                  ^!Set %NewData%=^?[Type in info]
                  ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%#
                  ^!Delay 12
                  ^!Keyboard )
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+O
                  ^!Keyboard DOWN

                  ... are at the very end, after all the navigation, research and
                  pasting from the clipboard, and yet, the very FIRST thing that
                  happens when I run the clip is the presentation of the Type in info
                  box!

                  Any way around this?

                  Thanks so much for all your help.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                    Hi Sheri,

                    > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
                    > research page. My commands ...

                    You need to use braces for that instead of brackets:

                    ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
                    ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                      Hi Jody,

                      This did not work for me

                      > ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

                      I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

                      Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input field but
                      I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can live with it.

                      The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                      substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows were
                      getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't work for one
                      vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular title bar has a
                      question mark in it. Would comparing the question mark require
                      something special? Testing a partial with a asterisk also wouldn't
                      work. I tried assigning the title bar text to a variable and getting
                      the clip to type it out. I used the result to determine what to test
                      for, and it definitely has the question mark. When the application
                      is running, the title bar is also formatted (yellow text in italics),
                      but no special codes printed out when my clip typed out my variable.

                      Any ideas?

                      Thanks,
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                        Hi Sheri,

                        > I don't want to type in the data, until after I have seen the
                        > research page. My commands ...

                        I forgot to add a line last night and thought about it today. You
                        need to put your Titlebar name in below. You really ought to think
                        about using a loop instead of Delay in certain places to keep from
                        having problems at times.

                        ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Type in info}
                        ^!FocusApp "Titlebar name"
                        ; ^!Delay 2
                        ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                          Hi Sheri,

                          >> ^!Keyboard #^%NewData%)# Alt+O DOWN
                          >
                          > I had to put the ) separate after a lengthy delay.

                          If I remember correctly you had a Delay *before* the ^!Keyboard
                          above. It might have appeared that the ")" was causing it to
                          fail, but it may have been the delay. I do not see any reason
                          where the ")" would make a difference. the following shortcuts
                          will not be executed until after the #macro#.

                          > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
                          > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
                          > live with it.

                          ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                          switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
                          things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
                          NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
                          OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
                          amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
                          recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
                          in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
                          to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
                          amount of copies.

                          > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                          > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
                          > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
                          > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
                          > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
                          > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
                          > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.

                          Send the full Titlebar name please.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                            Hi Jody,

                            > > Also, I wasn't happy with the screen placement of the input
                            > > field but I quit running the two apps maximized and now I can
                            > > live with it.
                            >
                            > ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                            > switching to NoteTab and back. We have to learn to live with
                            > things like that I suppose for the better performance overall of
                            > NoteTab. Copying text from another app now when using
                            > OnClipboardChange is a good example. I causes me a considerable
                            > amount of extra work and frustration due to NoteTab only
                            > recognizing one copy of the same text, but it needed to be done
                            > in order to clear up a problem with apps making dup/trip copies
                            > to the Clipboard and causing the PasteBoard feature to get that
                            > amount of copies.

                            FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the Catalog
                            I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by displaying both
                            programs simultaneous (not maximized), that didn't happen.

                            > > The macro is still really slow because of all the delays. I
                            > > substituted looping statements to make sure all changed windows
                            > > were getting focused before continuing, but the code doesn't
                            > > work for one vital window. (loops forever :D) That particular
                            > > title bar has a question mark in it. Would comparing the
                            > > question mark require something special? Testing a partial
                            > > with a asterisk also wouldn't work.
                            >
                            > Send the full Titlebar name please.

                            The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                            italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My variable
                            set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                            As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the Windows
                            Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left and another
                            on the Right with file detail. The two panes are untitled.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 6, 2000
                              Hi Sheri,

                              >> ^!FocuaApp will take care of that, but you will still get the
                              >> switching to NoteTab and back.

                              > FocusApp was causing NoteTab to cover up the very part of the
                              > Catalog I wanted to refer to while filling the input. But by
                              > displaying both programs simultaneous (not maximized), that
                              > didn't happen.

                              OK, I understand now, but you still might want to use FocusApp to
                              make sure once you fill in the field that the focus is indeed back
                              on your edit field.

                              You might want to copy the field in the Edit window of your app
                              putting it into a variable and then use braces in your wizard with
                              the variable in it so you can stay max'ed in both programs if that
                              is the way you prefer it.

                              You would get the focus in the edit window and then (if not already
                              selected):

                              ^!Keyboard Ctrl+A Ctrl+C ^!Set %Vari%=^$GetClipboard$ ^!Set
                              %Vari2%=^?{Input=^%Vari%} ^!FocusApp ... ^!Keyboard ... >> Send the
                              full Titlebar name please.
                              > > The Title Bar just looking at it says Where Is It? in yellow in
                              > italics followed by - Professional in white not italics. My >
                              variable set to ^$GetAppTitle$ returned simply Where Is It?

                              Try this:

                              ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                              ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-1

                              or similar

                              ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                              ^!Delay 1
                              ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2

                              You might have to play around with it for awhile, but something on
                              that line should work and once you find it then it should not err
                              and the there will be no wasted delay time to speak of.

                              > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                              > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                              > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                              > untitled.

                              That might be a problem. ;)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 7, 2000
                                Hi Jody,

                                Just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Its working quite
                                nicely now, and is considerably faster than before. I must have been
                                lacking quotation marks when I tried focusing "Where*" in the loop
                                before.

                                I also added a

                                ^!KeyboardDelay 0

                                which helped, and got rid of the Keyboard typeout of my input field.
                                Also enhanced the input field to include some multiple choices <g>

                                Now if only I could get through all the records -- over 1000 of them!

                                > > As displayed, this particular window looks kind of like the
                                > > Windows Explorer, with a pane for Drives and Folders on the Left
                                > > and another on the Right with file detail. The two panes are
                                > > untitled.
                                >
                                > That might be a problem. ;)

                                That is the one place that the macro still occasionally fails,
                                swapping panes with SHIFT-TAB, followed by a Delay. <g>

                                I am very impressed with what I've learned of NoteTab. Reading the
                                feature comparison, I noted that labels are excluded from the Light
                                version. I imagine they would be pretty important for complex tasks,
                                logical branching, etc.?

                                Take care,
                                Sheri
                              • Don Passenger
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                                  so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for us casual
                                  observers?

                                  ---
                                  Don Passenger
                                  Court Page: http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/~dpasseng/grdc
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                                    --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
                                    > so after all of this....does anyone have the complete version for
                                    us casual
                                    > observers?

                                    You really interested? <g> The keystrokes used are pretty special
                                    purpose, but if you're following the discussion, I guess it could be
                                    helpful. If is a work in progress though. -Sheri

                                    :Start
                                    ^!KeyboardDelay 0
                                    ^!FocusApp "Search"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+T
                                    ^!FocusApp "Where*"
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!IfSame "Where" "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;5)$" Next else Skip_-2
                                    ^!Delay 3
                                    ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                    ^!Delay 3
                                    ;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the left
                                    and right panes)
                                    ^!keyboard DOWN
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                                    ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                                    Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!FocusApp NoteTab*
                                    ^!Delay 2
                                    ^!Keyboard HOME
                                    ^!FocusApp Learn*
                                    ^!Set %NewData%=^?{Choose a value=NA|101|102|_201|205|210|320|400|400-
                                    S|XXX}
                                    ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                                    Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!Keyboard ALT+C
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                    ^!Delay 3
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+F
                                    ^!FocusApp "Search"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!ActivateApp
                                    :GetTit
                                    ^!Find \t R
                                    ^!Keyboard Shift+Home
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
                                    ^!Keyboard HOME DOWN RIGHT
                                    ^!Skip Correct Title? ^$GetClipboard$
                                    ^!Goto GetTit
                                    ^!FocusApp "Search"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;6)$" "Search" Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+E
                                    ^!FocusApp "Description Assistant"
                                    ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetAppTitle$";1;21)$" "Description Assistant"
                                    Next else Skip_-1
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+A
                                    ^!Delay 2
                                    ^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                                    ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
                                    ^!Keyboard Alt+O
                                    ^!Delay 12
                                    ^!Keyboard DOWN
                                    ^!ActivateApp
                                    ^!Goto Start
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 8, 2000
                                      Hi Sheri,

                                      >^!KeyboardDelay 0

                                      I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                                      >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                                      >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                      >^!Delay 3
                                      >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                                      >left
                                      >and right panes)

                                      It is still reading the other Titlebar then.

                                      >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)

                                      Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                                      use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                                      Jody with a "y" says, Good NoteNite! :)

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                                        Hi Jody,

                                        > >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                                        >
                                        > I forgot what you said you used that for like that?

                                        The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                                        > >^!FocusApp "Where*"
                                        > >^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB
                                        > >^!Delay 3
                                        > >;^!Info ^$GetAppTitle$ (This yields "Where Is It?" on both the
                                        > >left
                                        > >and right panes)
                                        >
                                        > It is still reading the other Titlebar then.
                                        >
                                        > >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                                        >
                                        > Good, but check your syntax on the first part. You might want to
                                        > use ^!IfSame instead, but not note necessary.

                                        ok, but it works ;)

                                        I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to work
                                        either.

                                        Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                                        enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                                        find the option to show unprintable characters.

                                        Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                                        possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                                        should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Sheri, with an "i" <g>
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 9, 2000
                                          Hi Sheri,

                                          >> >^!KeyboardDelay 0
                                          >>
                                          >> I forgot what you said you used that for like that?
                                          >
                                          >The Keyboard keystrokes just go faster with that set

                                          I guess that is what Eric meant by "Set nnn to 0 for maximum
                                          speed." in Help. ;) He might have a delay built in the command
                                          already - I'll find out sometime.

                                          >> >^!If ^%NewData% <>"NA" ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipboard$ (^%NewData%)
                                          >
                                          >ok, but it works ;)

                                          Yes, but you should still keep your quotes or not quotes even and
                                          also the spaces:

                                          ^!If "^%NewData%" <> "NA"
                                          ^!If ^%NewData% <> NA

                                          ^!If Integer1 <>= Integer2
                                          ^!If "String1" <>= "String2"

                                          >I never was able to get selecting a field with a delimiter to
                                          >work either.

                                          Try ^$GetField(row:col)$ when in NoteTab. If it is from your
                                          other program you might try copying the line and use something
                                          like:

                                          ^!Toolbar Paste New
                                          ^!Set %Field%=^$GetField(1:col)$
                                          ^!Close Discard

                                          "Col" is not a character column, but a field column:

                                          field1=column1 field2=column2 field3=column3

                                          >Think I mentioned before that I am using 4.81 with Trial Features
                                          >enabled. Thought this included the full feature set, but I can't
                                          >find the option to show unprintable characters.

                                          View | Nonprinting text (Shift+F12) or the Toolbar/Shortcut menu

                                          (I checked this time to make sure I was right instead of going
                                          from memory like the Perl/Number Lines thread <g> thanks Larry)

                                          >Also, I know that 4.82 is out, since you mentioned it. Is it
                                          >possible to reinstall or update with a Trial version activated or
                                          >should I stay with 4.81 for a month?

                                          I don't think you will have any problem installing over 4.81.
                                          You might get lucky and reset the timer. <g>

                                          >Sheri, with an "i" <g>

                                          ;)