Re: [Clip] NoteTab Command Line Was: Re: Clip cataloging

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 28, 2000
      Hi Eb, Alan,

      On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:05:55 -0400, ntb-clips@egroups.com wrote:
      >Hi Larry, Alan,
      >
      >PMFJI, but I took the liberty to look at those files, and discovered
      >one thing that puzzled me -- in the clip, line number 16 (absolute):

      PMFJI is that Pardon Me For Jumping In? That one took a minute to
      figure out. <g> Jump on in, the more the merrier!

      >^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$
      >
      >does not make sense to me. Why strip the first character of the
      >selected
      >library filename? Is this for special cases?

      Yes, it is for the special case where a Library Name starts with _.
      In a wizard, if _ is in front of one of the possible selections, it
      is the default, and it does not show up. This really confused me for
      awhile. So the clip adds an extra character, and then strips it away
      to cover this special case. I use _ and ! for the first character of
      some libraries to sort them towards the front of the library bar at
      the bottom. I suppose with some of the new features, and Charlie's
      Clip Librarian, I do not need to do that anymore, but it is a habit I
      got into early on, and have not broken it yet.

      >BTW, I use the following quick and dirty method for getting lists
      of
      >filename.ext, without path, in a single function:
      >
      >; 1 long line (results in a EOL delimited string)
      >^!Set %fileList%=^$GetDosOutput(dir /b "^$GetLibraryPath$*.clb")$
      >
      >Or ready for a Wizard selection list:
      >
      >; 1 long line (results in a "|" delimited string)
      >^!Set %fileList%=^$StrReplace(^%NL%;"|";"^$GetDosOutput(dir /b
      >"^$GetLibraryPath$*.clb")$";0;0)$

      I'll have to keep this examples for later. I always start this type
      of thing with lots of individual lines, but by combining as above,
      really shortens the clip, but when I have to go back later, I have to
      really pay attention to figure out what its doing. So sometimes my
      comments are longer than the space savings. <g>

      -- Larry Hamilton, lm_hamilton@... on 07/28/2000

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 28, 2000
        Hi Larry and Eb

        This time I took the liberty (events in time then tells a story whether it
        works or not)
        Ignore how appears at first in web browser. In IE5 I did a "view source"
        then I selected blocks or sections of either the command line or the clip's
        code I wanted to view. (in source, of the command line and clip, each are
        delimited by <br />). As to my trial, each of the two seemed unscathed.

        http://www.jps.net/rabbitt9/archive/l_h_cmmndlin_clip.htm

        >Why strip the first character of the selected library filename?
        I dunno but guess that might have to do with .clb that begin with _

        >The text file with the commandline, still did not have a space here:
        >exe"/L
        >Other than that it looked fine.

        In the clip, It was that way In both the ^!AppendToFile and ^!Run lines.
        So, in the clip, I added appropriate space at each spot in both those lines.

        BTW in the clip's ^!Run line I found ="^% ini%" and I changed it to
        (without a space) ="^%ini%" And then it no longer tried to save to
        NotePro.ini upon closing the incidence. And it also now saves to the
        appropriate ini (test2.ini or etc.)

        I put quotes onto as per /C="^%bar%"

        Several of the wizard headers/identifiers I changed so as to reflect what
        was to happen at that particular point (probably is more fun Larry's way
        though :-) (sorry Larry).

        FWIW in my trials, I observed that, from the ^!Run line of the clip, a
        clipbar does not get loaded. But I pasted the generated command line into
        (target field) of a shortcut to NotePro.exe and all worked very fine
        including clipbar was loaded.

        Also, (hehe, me the funster :-) ), I changed the generated command line
        text file's file extension from .txt to .bat Then I brought the .bat to
        focus in Ntab and ran Larry T's RunBatch clip. All worked very very
        fine -> Incidence was launched in identical fashion just like as if it had
        been launched from the shortcut (clipbar launched too). Evidently there was
        no DOS output to capture because the RunBatch clip's pasteboard capture was
        empty. Nonetheless, all worked super.

        Best regards. Have at least a little fun

        along the way. Alan.
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 28, 2000
          Hi Eb, Alan,

          On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:06:23 -0700, ntb-clips@egroups.com wrote:
          >Hi Larry and Eb
          >

          >>Why strip the first character of the selected library filename?
          >I dunno but guess that might have to do with .clb that begin with _

          Exactly!

          >>The text file with the commandline, still did not have a space
          here:
          >>exe"/L
          >>Other than that it looked fine.
          >
          >In the clip, It was that way In both the ^!AppendToFile and ^!Run
          >lines.
          >So, in the clip, I added appropriate space at each spot in both
          >those lines.
          >
          >BTW in the clip's ^!Run line I found ="^% ini%" and I changed
          >it to (without a space) ="^%ini%" And then it no longer
          tried to save to
          >NotePro.ini upon closing the incidence. And it also now saves to
          the appropriate ini (test2.ini or etc.)

          Must be the wrapping, my original does not have a space in the ini
          variable name.

          >I put quotes onto as per /C="^%bar%"
          >
          >Several of the wizard headers/identifiers I changed so as to reflect
          >what was to happen at that particular point (probably is more fun
          >Larry's way though :-) (sorry Larry).

          I don't always clean up clips before I post them. But it does help
          others learn by my mistakes. <g>

          >FWIW in my trials, I observed that, from the ^!Run line of the clip,
          >a clipbar does not get loaded. But I pasted the generated command
          >line into (target field) of a shortcut to NotePro.exe and all worked
          >very fine including clipbar was loaded.

          Making that line for the shortcut is one reason I made the clip, glad
          it works! Not sure whay your clipbar would not load, but that appears
          to be only one small glitch, compared to total failure before.

          >Also, (hehe, me the funster :-) ), I changed the generated command
          >line text file's file extension from .txt to .bat Then I brought
          the .bat to
          >focus in Ntab and ran Larry T's RunBatch clip. All worked very
          >very fine -> Incidence was launched in identical fashion just like
          as if it had been launched from the shortcut (clipbar launched too).
          Evidently there was no DOS output to capture because the RunBatch
          clip's pasteboard capture was empty. Nonetheless, all worked super.

          Using in a Batch file is another way to use this clip, also to
          generate a command line for making a clip. I use both a clip and a
          clipbar button to launch a couple of these customised commandlines.
          One runs a clip that ends up closing all the documents along the way,
          so I do not have to remember to store all my works in progress before
          running the clip. I have another that has NoteTab come up with a
          screen size I adjusted to make it ideal for taking notes while
          looking at information in another window (sometimes I need to take
          summary notes, not copy to clipboard.)

          >Best regards. Have at least a little fun
          >along the way.

          Always! ;-)

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 28, 2000
            Hi Alan,

            On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:06:23 -0700, ntb-clips@egroups.com wrote:

            >http://www.jps.net/rabbitt9/archive/l_h_cmmndlin_clip.htm
            >
            >FWIW in my trials, I observed that, from the ^!Run line of the clip,
            >clipbar does not get loaded. But I pasted the generated command
            >line into
            >(target field) of a shortcut to NotePro.exe and all worked very fine
            >including clipbar was loaded.

            I tried your copy and it works fine, except that from within NotePro
            when it goes to run the commandline, it does NOT launch the clipbar.

            I am not sure of the difference, but to make sure I ran my original,
            and it does launch the selected clipbar. Hmmmm.....

            Oh, Well, not sure what else it could be. I will compare the two and
            see what I come up with.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 29, 2000
              Hi Larry:

              In my emails I found your clip dated revised 7-23-2000

              And I note that you already had it with the updated wizard titles. I must
              have accidentally had an older version of the clip.

              I decided to try turn on paragraph markers and space markers. Then I used
              mouse and tapped backspace key to remove each hard return from the email.
              This way is more careful for me, also can see spaces and hard returns. I'll
              either not use ctrl J or else use it more carefully in the future.

              Anyway the clip works great except for still the minor glitch no clipbar on
              1st run. Actually, this is not a problem because I am now using your clip
              to build batch file. then save the .bat with name. then I run a small clip
              (dunno what I'm doing, but the small clip works) similar to:

              ^!SetClipboard ^$GetOutput("C:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~1\DOCUME~1\NOTETA~1.BAT")$

              which runs the .bat and works really great just the same as if went instead
              with contents of the .bat into target field of a windows shortcut.

              After I get 2 or 3 custom .bat and 2 or 3 corresponding ini built up, then I
              will build a wizard with choices to run 1 of the 3 .bat

              Thanks. Alan.
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 30, 2000
                Hi Alan,

                On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:29:18 -0700, ntb-clips@egroups.com wrote:
                >Hi Larry:
                >
                >In my emails I found your clip dated revised 7-23-2000
                >
                >And I note that you already had it with the updated wizard titles.
                >I must have accidentally had an older version of the clip.

                I sure you must be the first person on the list to do that. <vbg>

                >Anyway the clip works great except for still the minor glitch no
                >clipbar on 1st run. Actually, this is not a problem because I am

                Still not sure why that is, I use it on Win95B, IE 5.01, NotePro
                4.82. I wonder if it is a difference between versions of windows, or
                an issue with the ini? Have you tried it with a fresh ini, just to
                see?

                > now using your clip to build batch file. then save the .bat with
                > name. then I run a small clip
                >(dunno what I'm doing, but the small clip works) similar to:
                >
                >^!SetClipboard
                >^$GetOutput("C:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~1\DOCUME~1\NOTETA~1.BAT")$
                >
                >which runs the .bat and works really great just the same as if went
                >instead
                >with contents of the .bat into target field of a windows shortcut.
                >
                >After I get 2 or 3 custom .bat and 2 or 3 corresponding ini built
                >up, then I
                >will build a wizard with choices to run 1 of the 3 .bat

                Glad to see somebody getting some use out of it. That clip came out
                of a need I had with NoteTab command lines, so I got ambitious and
                built a full-blown cover the bases clip. I can see that it could use
                some improvements, but not sure it would be worth the time. If lots
                of people could use it, I may be persuaded to improve it.

                -- Larry Hamilton, lm_hamilton@... on 07/30/2000

                http://im.yahoo.com
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 30, 2000
                  Hi Larry

                  >4.82. I wonder if it is a difference between versions of windows, or
                  >an issue with the ini? Have you tried it with a fresh ini, just to
                  >see?

                  I created a new document in Ntab, named it test2.ini and saved it while
                  empty of any contents whatsoever, saved to NoteTab Pro's exe/program
                  directory.

                  So, if a fresh ini is a clean slate ini that is yet to have any contents . .
                  . then my answer is "yes" I tried it with a fresh ini. And, when I run
                  your clip with just such a blank ini, no clipbar gets loaded.

                  I just now did a wee bit more testing of your clip on my computer.

                  **Due to the initialization and action of your clip, the results are
                  eventually written to the ini. But the action of loading "the requested"
                  clipbar does not occur until later. Such action does not occur until after
                  Ntab shutdown (HTML instance as per following test results) and the running
                  of the clip occurs again for a 2nd time.**

                  I ran your clip 4 or 5 times on the same (test2.ini) ini and the same (HTML)
                  Ntab instance. The only thing different each time I ran the clip was for me
                  to choose a different clipbar for the clip to load.

                  The following test results occured:
                  note: In the following, I put the .ctb before the semi colon at the
                  front of the line merely for the ease of seeing the sequence.

                  1. *chose mystuff.ctb: I ran your clip and chose the mystuff.ctb With
                  empty ini, no clipbar was loaded.

                  2. *chose Utilities.ctb: I shutdown that instance of Ntab. I deleted
                  ntabcommandlines.txt. The test2.ini now has configuration data in it. I
                  ran your clip again. This time I chose utilities.ctb. And when the
                  test2.ini instance of Ntab Pro came up, the mystuff.ctb was loaded.

                  3. *chose mystuff.ctb: Shutdown that same instance Ntab again. Deleted
                  ntabcommandlines.txt Ran your clip again, same as before, except this
                  time I chose the mystuff.ctb. And when the test2.ini instance of Ntab Pro
                  came up, the utilities.ctb was loaded.

                  4. A couple more repeats of this process confirmed that a continuation of
                  this exact same alternating and repetitive pattern occurs.

                  Dunno. commandline is commandline. Nonetheless, it *must* be loading the
                  clipbar from the ini. Are we sure the clipbar is a commandline item?

                  Using your clip, on my system, it is not loading .ctb from commandline.
                  Ntab writes to ini upon closedown or shutdown. It is at that moment that
                  the (your clip's) requested .ctb is written to ini. Then, from ini, the
                  previously requested specific .ctb is loaded the NEXT time Ntab is launched.

                  The sys used for above test: Win 98SE. Tyan MB with Via MVP chipset.
                  Pentium 233 MMX socket 7. 9 GB IBM HD. 16 MB AGP video (until I work
                  on it and get the 32 MB card installed). 128 MB PC100 SDRAM. Me, the
                  ubiquitous operator of machine, sys, etc.

                  I have a PII 400 MHZ Intel BX chipset Abit BE6 II MB machine. Maybe at
                  another time I'll do the same trial on it and discover what the results.

                  Bye. Best regards. Alan.