file manipulation

  • Michael Gerholdt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2000
      Hi, all,

      I have another interesting little problem.

      Say I have a file with filename always same except the last 6 characters are
      timestamp-derived and therefore unpredictable.

      I want to change the filename to another name and simultaneously move the
      file into a different directory. Or, roughly simultaneously. Obviously I
      don't care if it is done in one step or three.

      But I can't use a wild card to rename a file. I *can* use a wildcard to MOVE
      a file but when I do so and provide a filename as a destination (as in DOS)
      then it thinks it should create a directory by that name and stick the file
      into it.

      Is there a cure?

      Thanks as always!

      Mike