[Clip] Re: AutoReplace Libraries & Ini

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 1999
      Hi Jody & Larry -
      Interesting discussion. Do I have this right?

      If a Library is defined as AutoReplace
      (= V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30),
      it can be turned on/off with the AutoReplace Mode flag but
      if it's a regular Library, it's not affected by the flag.

      You couldn't reliably use ^!Keyboard to get to the clip
      right click option to set Auto-Replace because the
      doc/Library toggle key works differently depending on
      how the clip is executed :(

      I think you'd have to open the library as a document,
      change the header & use ^!ReloadLibrary.

      --- Grandma Kay ---

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 1999
        Hi Kay,

        At 04:18 PM 5/5/1999 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Jody & Larry -
        >Interesting discussion. Do I have this right?
        >
        >If a Library is defined as AutoReplace
        >(= V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30),
        >it can be turned on/off with the AutoReplace Mode flag but
        >if it's a regular Library, it's not affected by the flag.

        It appears that the AutoReplace Mode flag turns on or off the feature for
        all librairies not just the one in focus. You are correct however in that
        regular librairies are not affected by the flag.

        >You couldn't reliably use ^!Keyboard to get to the clip
        >right click option to set Auto-Replace because the
        >doc/Library toggle key works differently depending on
        >how the clip is executed :(
        >
        >I think you'd have to open the library as a document,
        >change the header & use ^!ReloadLibrary.

        That is my opinion as well. For me it is more practical to just use the
        right-click menu itself as it is designed. I think that Jody likes to
        write clips sometimes just to see if he can do it that way ;-)

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 1999
          Hi Larry and Kay,

          > First there is the AutoReplace Mode on the menu -- Tools |
          > Autoreplace Mode. Your clips turn this on and off every time
          > just as they should.

          I must not be making myself clear, you are not testing my clips,
          or I do not understand the point you are trying to get across.
          I'll try again to make it as clear as I can.

          AutoReplace from the Menubar (which is global) works regardless
          of what type of Library it is (and does not effect the type of
          Library) and from what I can gather it is designed that way.

          From the beginning I understood the .ini setting has nothing to
          do with the Clipbook Content menu which effects the type of
          Library it is.

          > I think that Jody likes to write clips sometimes just to see if
          > he can do it that way ;-)

          Nope, the reason is below, but to spell it out: ^!Keyboard commands
          and Libraries are sloppy.

          > You could write a clip for this item by using ^!Keyboard
          > commands

          I understand this and trying to avoid that, but that is still not
          my issue which follows:

          Why does my "Turn Off" clip stop AutoReplace?
          Why does my "Turn On" clip *not* turn on AutoReplace?

          The on/off changes the Menubar setting as it is suppose to.
          The Off clip stops AutoReplace from working.
          The On clip does *not* turn in on.
          If I manually change the setting on the Menubar it turns
          on/off according to what it is set at.

          > I think you'd have to open the library as a document, change
          > the header & use ^!ReloadLibrary.

          That is not needed if one is doing the change from ^!Keyboard
          checking AutoReplace to change the Library type. NoteTab takes
          care of that. Open a .clb as a document and you can watch the
          changes and see that it indeed changes the actual on/off for the
          Library. Furthermore, that will also change the Menubar setting.
          However, in this case, the Menubar setting is not global but will
          turn off if the library is switched.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Tell a friend about Clean-Funnies...
          In body of message put: subscribe Clean-Funnies

          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 1999
            5/5/1999 5:03 PM Jody wrote
            > That is not needed if one is doing the change from
            > ^!Keyboard checking AutoReplace to change the Library
            > type. NoteTab takes care of that.

            Put ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F10 in a clip and execute it
            by clicking or using In-Context & you should get the clip
            right click menu. Start the clip using Ctrl+SpaceBar & you
            should get the document menu :( I know one of the 3 brings
            up the wrong menu & I'm pretty sure it's Ctrl+SpaceBar :)

            If there's a LoadLibrary before the Keyboard all 3 work
            correctly.

            --- Grandma Kay ---
            http://notetab.kay.net

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 1999
              Hi Kay,

              > Put ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F10 in a clip and execute it...
              > should get the document menu :(

              H=Test4Kay
              ; Works fine for me by clicking for on/off.
              ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+F10 R

              This still does not answer my questions. <g>

              The menu problem is a timing issue. Under normal
              circumstances:

              Your machine:
              ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F10

              My machine:
              ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+F10

              Someday we will need to find a happy medium for us using
              something like below. I have no idea where the delay
              would need to go:

              My machine:
              ^!FocusDoc
              ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 &50 Shift+F4 Shift+F10

              Später,
              Jody Adair

              I can only please one person a day.
              Today is obviously not your day.
              Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)
              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/

              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 1999
                Hi Jody,

                At 05:03 PM 5/5/1999 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Larry and Kay,
                >
                >I must not be making myself clear, you are not testing my clips,
                >or I do not understand the point you are trying to get across.
                >I'll try again to make it as clear as I can.
                >
                >AutoReplace from the Menubar (which is global) works regardless
                >of what type of Library it is (and does not effect the type of
                >Library) and from what I can gather it is designed that way.

                I don't know if I have a good answer to this but I did some more checking.
                I had not tried to use the autoreplace items in your clips before. I just
                checked out the menu items to see if they were checked or not and I assumed
                that if they were check, then they worked. Wrongo!

                1. Turning on auto-replace mode from the menu affects all clipbooks not
                just the ones with the autoreplace header. If you have a one word clip [no
                spaces in it] in the Acronyms library for example, you can type the word
                followed by a space and auto-replace will change it in your document.

                2. The Autoreplace header seems to be used by NoteTab to automatically
                turn on the auto-replace mode in the menu when ever you switch to a library
                that contains it.

                3. With Auto-replace mode on, your examples t and tt are replaced when
                they are typed and followed by a space with test and test this 2. If I run
                the "off" clip, the mode is switched off and they are not replaced. If I
                then run the "on" clip, the mode appears to be on if you drop down the
                Tools menu but in fact it is not working and does not work. If the header
                is set to Autoreplace and I close and re-open the clipbook or switch to
                another and back, it works again.

                I would say that this is something built into the NoteTab code.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 1999
                  Hi Larry and/or Anybody/Everybody,

                  This is as clear as I can make it and easy to test.
                  Why does the QuickOpenLinks work when turning on/off
                  and not AutoReplace? The ini file is not changed in
                  both cases till shut down, or at least visibly to
                  us. Pay attention to the Menubar setting while doing
                  this and try the provided clips to test to see if it
                  turns on/off correctly.

                  H="AutoReplace On"
                  ^!SaveValue Options:AutoReplace=1
                  ^!ProgIniLoad NotePro

                  H="AutoReplace Off"
                  ^!SaveValue Options:AutoReplace=0
                  ^!ProgIniLoad NotePro

                  H="Reload NotePro.ini"
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+E L
                  ^!Jump Doc_End
                  ^!Find "AutoReplace=" SB
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+T

                  H="Restart NotePro"
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+F X
                  ^!^$GetAppPath$NotePro.exe

                  H="Check AutoReplace After Restart"
                  ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$NotePro.ini
                  ^!Jump Doc_End
                  ^!Find "AutoReplace=" SB
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+T

                  H="Proof 'N Puddin'"
                  ; Double click on some text
                  ^!SaveValue Options:QuickOpenLinks=^?[Quick Open Links=_0|1]
                  ^!ProgIniLoad NotePro
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+E L
                  ^!Jump Doc_End
                  ^!Find "QuickOpenLinks=" SB
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+T

                  H=i
                  It works fine here Dummie!

                  H=o
                  Oops, it does not act the way one would think!

                  H=j
                  Jody, you are having one of your days - it works just fine!

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 1999
                    Hi Larry, Eric, Kay, and All,

                    As you might have noticed there is a big lag. Larry sent me this
                    private as I did him another post still lagged so I'm trying to
                    beat the lag a bit here.

                    > 3. With Auto-replace mode on, your examples t and tt are
                    > replaced when they are typed and followed by a space with test
                    > and test this 2. If I run the "off" clip, the mode is switched
                    > off and they are not replaced. If I then run the "on" clip,
                    > the mode appears to be on if you drop down the Tools menu but
                    > in fact it is not working and does not work. If the header is
                    > set to Autoreplace and I close and re-open the clipbook or
                    > switch to another and back, it works again.
                    > I would say that this is something built into the NoteTab
                    code.

                    Thank you, I rest my case!-)

                    > I would say that this is something built into the NoteTab
                    > code.

                    Ok then, what? My questions still remain about the same:

                    Why does it turn off and not on?

                    Why do the other settings like my example with the
                    QuickLinks work both ways?

                    c ya,
                    Jody

                    The whole world doth err save you
                    and me and even thou doest err some!

                    http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                    http://www.sureword.com/mm

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 1999
                      05/05/1999 4:54 PM Jody wrote

                      > H=Test4Kay
                      > ; Works fine for me by clicking for on/off.
                      > ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+F10 R

                      but gives DOCUMENT SHORTCUT menu if you use In-Context or
                      Ctrl+SpaceBar instead of clicking to execute the clip. On
                      my system, this clip executes Sort Ascending on the
                      document menu if I use the keyboard & Auto-Replace if I
                      use the mouse. It's not a timing or system thing except
                      that R on my shortcut menu happens to be Sort Ascending.
                      It's a starting focus thing that changes with keyboard vs
                      mouse usage.

                      Actually, if you use the mouse, you don't need Shift+F4
                      because you're focused in the clip area when you click
                      there.

                      Disregarding everything to do with Auto-Replace, my point is
                      that you can't use the Shift+F4 toggle in a clip & be
                      sure of where you are. ^!FocusDoc doesn't fix it & AR_KEY
                      can't be used. There's just no reliable way of using a
                      clip/document toggle in a clip that's going to be
                      distributed to other people. If it's strictly for your own
                      use & you always use the mouse, you're safe :)

                      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 1999
                        Hi Kay,

                        >> H=Test4Kay
                        >> ; Works fine for me by clicking for on/off.
                        >> ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+F10 R
                        >
                        > but gives DOCUMENT SHORTCUT menu if you use In-Context or
                        > Ctrl+SpaceBar instead of clicking to execute the clip.

                        I don't use that so I wouldn't know.

                        > It's not a timing or system thing except that R on my shortcut
                        > menu happens to be Sort Ascending. It's a starting focus thing
                        > that changes with keyboard vs mouse usage.

                        It am still not settled on that. When using the mouse on my
                        system shift+f4 twice always works but fails on faster machines.
                        Shift+f4 once fails on my machine but not on faster machines.

                        ^!Focusdoc
                        ...shift+f4 (once)
                        seems to work for me in all cases (using click).

                        > Actually, if you use the mouse, you don't need Shift+F4 because
                        > you're focused in the clip area when you click there.

                        See above.

                        > If it's strictly for your own use & you always use the mouse,
                        > you're safe :)

                        OK, I see your point now - thanks. There is still a difference
                        on machines when clicking in the Library though.

                        C ya,
                        Jody

                        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                      • RS
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 1999
                          Hi Jody, Kay, Eric, and All:

                          >There's just no reliable way of using a
                          >clip/document toggle in a clip that's going to be
                          >distributed to other people. If it's strictly for your own
                          >use & you always use the mouse, you're safe :)

                          Kay was right when she said the above.

                          1) These work well as far as you use Ctrl+Space to trigger the Clip. They
                          will fail using the mouse:

                          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+G Shift+F4 Shift+F10

                          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+F6 Ctrl+F6 Shift+F10

                          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+G Ctrl+F6 Ctrl+F6 Shift+F10

                          2) On the contrary, the one proposed by Jody works well with the mouse, but
                          not with Ctrl+Space:

                          ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+F10

                          Conclusion:
                          Looks like Eric has something to fix here, if possible. Above all when you
                          take into account that the next one, which opens the Clipbook Combo Context
                          Menu, works BOTH with the mouse and with Ctrl+Space:

                          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+G Ctrl+F6 Shift+F10

                          Regards,

                          RS

                          Have you ever dreamed of...