Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hi acummings@...,

      >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
      >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
      >I do
      not know how to

      The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).

      "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

      Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
      These paths may be different on your system!

      Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
      must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

      Cheers,

      Eb
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
        Hi Eb,

        At 03:03 PM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi acummings@...,
        >
        >>Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
        >>sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
        >>I do
        >not know how to
        >
        >The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).
        >
        >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
        /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

        >Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
        >These paths may be different on your system!
        >
        >Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
        >must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

        Caught me in another goof! The /INI=HTML can only be used (1) if you
        launch the program from a clip or (2) if you have the ini file located in
        the same directory/folder as the shortcut. Otherwise you are correct to
        included the whole path. You do not however need the .ini ending since
        NoteTab assumes it. You can also use a long file name format for the
        shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

        The portion after /INI= is enclosed in quotes as you can see and it works
        in a shortcut for me.

        "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
        Pro\HTML"

        You do not actually need to create the ini file before running this
        shortcut. NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
        the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you want and
        when you shut it down, it will write the settings to HTML.ini in the folder
        you have specified. NoteTab will create the specified ini file if you have
        not already created it.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • acummings@snowcrest.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Larry, Eb:

          Thank you for all of your participation regard xtra ini

          I think I can figure it out now. I need some time to implement it though since
          I now on vacation at a buddy's where I checking my email.

          I saved all the data from your posts so when I get back to my own computer, I
          can implement it.

          Best regards.
          Alan.

          This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
          http://www.snowcrest.net
        • Eb Guenther
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            >You do not however need the .ini ending since
            >NoteTab assumes it.

            True, but I like to know what files I'm dealing with
            without having to rely on my memory, and NTP does allow
            different INI extensions.

            >You can also use a long file name format for the
            >shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

            This did not work for me when I first tried it on Windows NT.
            Once I found a working shortcut I never bothered to find out
            if the problem was NTP or Win NT.

            >... NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
            >the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you
            >want and when you shut it down, it will write the settings to
            >HTML.ini in the folder you have specified. NoteTab will create
            >the specified ini file if you have not already created it.

            I had forgotten this generic behaviour. My ini files
            all contain signatures, without which my libraries
            will abort. So for _my_ use, the INI must exist, but
            of course that does not apply to anyone else.

            Cheers,

            Eb
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
              Hi Alan, Eb, Larry T., Clippers,

              --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Eb Guenther <ebg@m...> wrote:
              > Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same
              > time you must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple
              > instances.

              With the instance parameter on the commandline, you can run multiple
              instances even if you have it checked in your "main" instance.

              This relates to a clip I posted a few weeks ago that allows one to
              create NoteTab command lines wiht the desired parameters, that can
              then be pasted into a shortcut, or used as a clip. I have a couple of
              specialized clips for special purpose use of NoteTab, that I find
              very helpful.

              Here is the clip:

              Note that is rely's on having the NoteTab 4.82 Utilities clip
              available.

              ---------< start clip >---------
              H="NoteTab CommandLine"
              ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <Larry_H@...>
              ;04/29/2000
              ^!SetListDelimiter=|
              ^!Set %path%=^$GetAppPath$
              ^!Set %pgm%=^?{NoteTab Version?
              ==Standard^=NoteTab.exe|_Pro^=NotePro.exe}

              ;
              ;Borrowed the _FillLibraryList clip and part of the SwitchLibrary
              clip from the Utilities.clb. Thanks to Eric for pointing out why this
              method is needed. Any Libraries that start with an "_" (underscore)
              need to have a space added in from of them, since the "_" has a
              special meaning in clip wizards. A major case of "if it was a snake
              it would have bit me." Thanks to Eric & Jody for their patience!
              ;
              ;^!Clip FillLibraryList
              ^!FarClip Utilities:FillLibraryList
              ^!Set %LibraryName%=^?{(H=10)Choose a library==_^%LibraryList%}
              ^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$

              ;
              ;**_CAUTION_**: Be careful with the use of the NoteTab.ini file. I
              trashed one and had to restore from backup. Be sure your ini files
              are backed up unless you do not mind re-creating all of your NoteTab
              settings, if there is a problem. ;)
              ;
              ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace("^$GetAppPath$";;"^$GetFiles
              ("^$GetAppPath$";"*.ini")$";False;False)$
              ^!Set %ini%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%ini%}
              ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace(".ini";;"^%ini%";False;False)$
              ;
              ;Generates an Instance of NoteTab. Use needs to configure for their
              preferences.
              ;
              ^!Set %inst%=^?{Instance?=="HTML Editing"|"Java"|Default^=""}
              ;
              ;Since the ClipBar *.ctb files are in the Library directory, the
              ^$GetLibraryPath$ function can do double duty.
              ;
              ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace("^$GetLibraryPath$";;"^$GetFiles
              ("^$GetLibraryPath$";"*.ctb")$";False;False)$
              ^!Set %bar%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%bar%}
              ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace(".ctb";;"^%bar%";False;False)$

              ;Show the NoteTab Commandline that is created. This can then be
              copied and used to create a clip to launch different configurations
              of NoteTab.
              ;
              ;If you want to create a commandline that will launch a specific clip
              in the selected library, put a colon and the clip name after it
              like "/L=LibraryName:ClipName" I find this handy for running a
              specialized clip that needs to close all open documents. I tend to
              leave all of the documents I am currently working on open, so when I
              open NoteTab, I know what I was in the middle of. Yes, I know about
              favorites, but NoteTab lets me "do it my way." ;)
              ^!Info "^%path%^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
              ini%"
              ^!Delay 15
              ;
              ^!AppendToFile "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt" "^%path%
              ^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%ini%"
              ;
              ^!Open "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt"

              ^!Run "^%path%^%pgm%" /L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
              ini%"
              ---------< end clip >-----------

              HTH,

              Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
              http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
              My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
            • Mitch Cameron
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2000
                Thanks, Piotr...>!

                I'll take a look.

                _______________________________________
                Mitch Cameron
                Dir. Business Process Engineering
                OnePipeline.com
                mcameron@...
                Office: 801-313-4914
                Cell: 801-971-8033
                _______________________________________

                "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@...>
                06/30/2000 11:41 PM
                Please respond to ntb-clips

                To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                cc:
                Subject: Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

                >Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                >points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                >HTH

                >Piotr Bienkowski
                >a clipper from Poland

                >> Hi folks....
                >>
                >> I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....
                >>
                >> But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                >> and open one or more of them?

                Lonely? Get Firetalk!
                Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
                Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/8/_/2798/_/962430153/