Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hi Alan,

      I managed to make it even a little shorter.

      ^!^$GetAppFileName$ /INI=HTML

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...

      I don't have a license to kill.  I have a learner's permit.
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
        Hi acummings@...,

        >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
        >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
        >I do
        not know how to

        The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).

        "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

        Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
        These paths may be different on your system!

        Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
        must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

        Cheers,

        Eb
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Eb,

          At 03:03 PM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi acummings@...,
          >
          >>Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
          >>sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
          >>I do
          >not know how to
          >
          >The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).
          >
          >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
          /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

          >Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
          >These paths may be different on your system!
          >
          >Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
          >must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

          Caught me in another goof! The /INI=HTML can only be used (1) if you
          launch the program from a clip or (2) if you have the ini file located in
          the same directory/folder as the shortcut. Otherwise you are correct to
          included the whole path. You do not however need the .ini ending since
          NoteTab assumes it. You can also use a long file name format for the
          shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

          The portion after /INI= is enclosed in quotes as you can see and it works
          in a shortcut for me.

          "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
          Pro\HTML"

          You do not actually need to create the ini file before running this
          shortcut. NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
          the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you want and
          when you shut it down, it will write the settings to HTML.ini in the folder
          you have specified. NoteTab will create the specified ini file if you have
          not already created it.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • acummings@snowcrest.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
            Hi Larry, Eb:

            Thank you for all of your participation regard xtra ini

            I think I can figure it out now. I need some time to implement it though since
            I now on vacation at a buddy's where I checking my email.

            I saved all the data from your posts so when I get back to my own computer, I
            can implement it.

            Best regards.
            Alan.

            This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
            http://www.snowcrest.net
          • Eb Guenther
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
              Hi Larry,

              >You do not however need the .ini ending since
              >NoteTab assumes it.

              True, but I like to know what files I'm dealing with
              without having to rely on my memory, and NTP does allow
              different INI extensions.

              >You can also use a long file name format for the
              >shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

              This did not work for me when I first tried it on Windows NT.
              Once I found a working shortcut I never bothered to find out
              if the problem was NTP or Win NT.

              >... NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
              >the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you
              >want and when you shut it down, it will write the settings to
              >HTML.ini in the folder you have specified. NoteTab will create
              >the specified ini file if you have not already created it.

              I had forgotten this generic behaviour. My ini files
              all contain signatures, without which my libraries
              will abort. So for _my_ use, the INI must exist, but
              of course that does not apply to anyone else.

              Cheers,

              Eb
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                Hi Alan, Eb, Larry T., Clippers,

                --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Eb Guenther <ebg@m...> wrote:
                > Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same
                > time you must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple
                > instances.

                With the instance parameter on the commandline, you can run multiple
                instances even if you have it checked in your "main" instance.

                This relates to a clip I posted a few weeks ago that allows one to
                create NoteTab command lines wiht the desired parameters, that can
                then be pasted into a shortcut, or used as a clip. I have a couple of
                specialized clips for special purpose use of NoteTab, that I find
                very helpful.

                Here is the clip:

                Note that is rely's on having the NoteTab 4.82 Utilities clip
                available.

                ---------< start clip >---------
                H="NoteTab CommandLine"
                ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <Larry_H@...>
                ;04/29/2000
                ^!SetListDelimiter=|
                ^!Set %path%=^$GetAppPath$
                ^!Set %pgm%=^?{NoteTab Version?
                ==Standard^=NoteTab.exe|_Pro^=NotePro.exe}

                ;
                ;Borrowed the _FillLibraryList clip and part of the SwitchLibrary
                clip from the Utilities.clb. Thanks to Eric for pointing out why this
                method is needed. Any Libraries that start with an "_" (underscore)
                need to have a space added in from of them, since the "_" has a
                special meaning in clip wizards. A major case of "if it was a snake
                it would have bit me." Thanks to Eric & Jody for their patience!
                ;
                ;^!Clip FillLibraryList
                ^!FarClip Utilities:FillLibraryList
                ^!Set %LibraryName%=^?{(H=10)Choose a library==_^%LibraryList%}
                ^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$

                ;
                ;**_CAUTION_**: Be careful with the use of the NoteTab.ini file. I
                trashed one and had to restore from backup. Be sure your ini files
                are backed up unless you do not mind re-creating all of your NoteTab
                settings, if there is a problem. ;)
                ;
                ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace("^$GetAppPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                ("^$GetAppPath$";"*.ini")$";False;False)$
                ^!Set %ini%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%ini%}
                ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace(".ini";;"^%ini%";False;False)$
                ;
                ;Generates an Instance of NoteTab. Use needs to configure for their
                preferences.
                ;
                ^!Set %inst%=^?{Instance?=="HTML Editing"|"Java"|Default^=""}
                ;
                ;Since the ClipBar *.ctb files are in the Library directory, the
                ^$GetLibraryPath$ function can do double duty.
                ;
                ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace("^$GetLibraryPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                ("^$GetLibraryPath$";"*.ctb")$";False;False)$
                ^!Set %bar%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%bar%}
                ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace(".ctb";;"^%bar%";False;False)$

                ;Show the NoteTab Commandline that is created. This can then be
                copied and used to create a clip to launch different configurations
                of NoteTab.
                ;
                ;If you want to create a commandline that will launch a specific clip
                in the selected library, put a colon and the clip name after it
                like "/L=LibraryName:ClipName" I find this handy for running a
                specialized clip that needs to close all open documents. I tend to
                leave all of the documents I am currently working on open, so when I
                open NoteTab, I know what I was in the middle of. Yes, I know about
                favorites, but NoteTab lets me "do it my way." ;)
                ^!Info "^%path%^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                ini%"
                ^!Delay 15
                ;
                ^!AppendToFile "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt" "^%path%
                ^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%ini%"
                ;
                ^!Open "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt"

                ^!Run "^%path%^%pgm%" /L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                ini%"
                ---------< end clip >-----------

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
                http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
              • Mitch Cameron
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 3, 2000
                  Thanks, Piotr...>!

                  I'll take a look.

                  _______________________________________
                  Mitch Cameron
                  Dir. Business Process Engineering
                  OnePipeline.com
                  mcameron@...
                  Office: 801-313-4914
                  Cell: 801-971-8033
                  _______________________________________

                  "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@...>
                  06/30/2000 11:41 PM
                  Please respond to ntb-clips

                  To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject: Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

                  >Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                  >points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                  >HTH

                  >Piotr Bienkowski
                  >a clipper from Poland

                  >> Hi folks....
                  >>
                  >> I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....
                  >>
                  >> But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                  >> and open one or more of them?

                  Lonely? Get Firetalk!
                  Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
                  Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/8/_/2798/_/962430153/