Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hi Alan,

      At 03:24 PM 07/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
      >> > But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
      >> > and open one or more of them?
      >
      >> Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
      >> points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)
      >
      >Hi:
      >
      >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
      >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
      I do
      >not know how to
      >
      >Is a clip needed and/or can someone steer me to directions or else tell me
      how
      >to open Notetab with not the default ini but my ini of choice?

      The most common way to do this is from a shortcut. Create a new shortcut
      and name it for whatever special thing you want the new ini to do (HTML?).
      Open the properties dialog for the shortcut and in the "Target" box you
      should see something like "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPRO.exe".
      Right cursor so you can edit this box and add INI=HTML (or use whatever
      name you gave your new ini). You can make a copy of your regular ini file
      and call it HTML.ini or whatever you want. Click ok on the properties box
      and when you have created the copy, you can run the new version of NoteTab.
      Now you can customize that version to the way you want it and everytime
      you click the shortcut, it will come up that way - with files open and
      fonts and everything.

      You can also lunch such copies from NoteTab itself. Just make a clip for
      each one.

      ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

      or

      ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

      And the alternate version should open when you run the clip just the same
      as with the shortcut.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
        Hi Alan,

        Sorry. My goof.

        ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

        Should be: ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

        and

        ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

        Should be: ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

        The slash in front of the INI is necessary for the thing to work.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Alan,

          I managed to make it even a little shorter.

          ^!^$GetAppFileName$ /INI=HTML

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...

          I don't have a license to kill.  I have a learner's permit.
        • Eb Guenther
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
            Hi acummings@...,

            >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
            >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
            >I do
            not know how to

            The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).

            "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

            Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
            These paths may be different on your system!

            Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
            must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

            Cheers,

            Eb
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
              Hi Eb,

              At 03:03 PM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hi acummings@...,
              >
              >>Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
              >>sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
              >>I do
              >not know how to
              >
              >The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).
              >
              >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
              /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

              >Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
              >These paths may be different on your system!
              >
              >Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
              >must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

              Caught me in another goof! The /INI=HTML can only be used (1) if you
              launch the program from a clip or (2) if you have the ini file located in
              the same directory/folder as the shortcut. Otherwise you are correct to
              included the whole path. You do not however need the .ini ending since
              NoteTab assumes it. You can also use a long file name format for the
              shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

              The portion after /INI= is enclosed in quotes as you can see and it works
              in a shortcut for me.

              "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
              Pro\HTML"

              You do not actually need to create the ini file before running this
              shortcut. NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
              the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you want and
              when you shut it down, it will write the settings to HTML.ini in the folder
              you have specified. NoteTab will create the specified ini file if you have
              not already created it.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • acummings@snowcrest.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                Hi Larry, Eb:

                Thank you for all of your participation regard xtra ini

                I think I can figure it out now. I need some time to implement it though since
                I now on vacation at a buddy's where I checking my email.

                I saved all the data from your posts so when I get back to my own computer, I
                can implement it.

                Best regards.
                Alan.

                This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
                http://www.snowcrest.net
              • Eb Guenther
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                  Hi Larry,

                  >You do not however need the .ini ending since
                  >NoteTab assumes it.

                  True, but I like to know what files I'm dealing with
                  without having to rely on my memory, and NTP does allow
                  different INI extensions.

                  >You can also use a long file name format for the
                  >shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

                  This did not work for me when I first tried it on Windows NT.
                  Once I found a working shortcut I never bothered to find out
                  if the problem was NTP or Win NT.

                  >... NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
                  >the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you
                  >want and when you shut it down, it will write the settings to
                  >HTML.ini in the folder you have specified. NoteTab will create
                  >the specified ini file if you have not already created it.

                  I had forgotten this generic behaviour. My ini files
                  all contain signatures, without which my libraries
                  will abort. So for _my_ use, the INI must exist, but
                  of course that does not apply to anyone else.

                  Cheers,

                  Eb
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                    Hi Alan, Eb, Larry T., Clippers,

                    --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Eb Guenther <ebg@m...> wrote:
                    > Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same
                    > time you must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple
                    > instances.

                    With the instance parameter on the commandline, you can run multiple
                    instances even if you have it checked in your "main" instance.

                    This relates to a clip I posted a few weeks ago that allows one to
                    create NoteTab command lines wiht the desired parameters, that can
                    then be pasted into a shortcut, or used as a clip. I have a couple of
                    specialized clips for special purpose use of NoteTab, that I find
                    very helpful.

                    Here is the clip:

                    Note that is rely's on having the NoteTab 4.82 Utilities clip
                    available.

                    ---------< start clip >---------
                    H="NoteTab CommandLine"
                    ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <Larry_H@...>
                    ;04/29/2000
                    ^!SetListDelimiter=|
                    ^!Set %path%=^$GetAppPath$
                    ^!Set %pgm%=^?{NoteTab Version?
                    ==Standard^=NoteTab.exe|_Pro^=NotePro.exe}

                    ;
                    ;Borrowed the _FillLibraryList clip and part of the SwitchLibrary
                    clip from the Utilities.clb. Thanks to Eric for pointing out why this
                    method is needed. Any Libraries that start with an "_" (underscore)
                    need to have a space added in from of them, since the "_" has a
                    special meaning in clip wizards. A major case of "if it was a snake
                    it would have bit me." Thanks to Eric & Jody for their patience!
                    ;
                    ;^!Clip FillLibraryList
                    ^!FarClip Utilities:FillLibraryList
                    ^!Set %LibraryName%=^?{(H=10)Choose a library==_^%LibraryList%}
                    ^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$

                    ;
                    ;**_CAUTION_**: Be careful with the use of the NoteTab.ini file. I
                    trashed one and had to restore from backup. Be sure your ini files
                    are backed up unless you do not mind re-creating all of your NoteTab
                    settings, if there is a problem. ;)
                    ;
                    ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace("^$GetAppPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                    ("^$GetAppPath$";"*.ini")$";False;False)$
                    ^!Set %ini%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%ini%}
                    ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace(".ini";;"^%ini%";False;False)$
                    ;
                    ;Generates an Instance of NoteTab. Use needs to configure for their
                    preferences.
                    ;
                    ^!Set %inst%=^?{Instance?=="HTML Editing"|"Java"|Default^=""}
                    ;
                    ;Since the ClipBar *.ctb files are in the Library directory, the
                    ^$GetLibraryPath$ function can do double duty.
                    ;
                    ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace("^$GetLibraryPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                    ("^$GetLibraryPath$";"*.ctb")$";False;False)$
                    ^!Set %bar%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%bar%}
                    ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace(".ctb";;"^%bar%";False;False)$

                    ;Show the NoteTab Commandline that is created. This can then be
                    copied and used to create a clip to launch different configurations
                    of NoteTab.
                    ;
                    ;If you want to create a commandline that will launch a specific clip
                    in the selected library, put a colon and the clip name after it
                    like "/L=LibraryName:ClipName" I find this handy for running a
                    specialized clip that needs to close all open documents. I tend to
                    leave all of the documents I am currently working on open, so when I
                    open NoteTab, I know what I was in the middle of. Yes, I know about
                    favorites, but NoteTab lets me "do it my way." ;)
                    ^!Info "^%path%^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                    ini%"
                    ^!Delay 15
                    ;
                    ^!AppendToFile "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt" "^%path%
                    ^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%ini%"
                    ;
                    ^!Open "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt"

                    ^!Run "^%path%^%pgm%" /L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                    ini%"
                    ---------< end clip >-----------

                    HTH,

                    Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
                    http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                    My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
                  • Mitch Cameron
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2000
                      Thanks, Piotr...>!

                      I'll take a look.

                      _______________________________________
                      Mitch Cameron
                      Dir. Business Process Engineering
                      OnePipeline.com
                      mcameron@...
                      Office: 801-313-4914
                      Cell: 801-971-8033
                      _______________________________________

                      "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@...>
                      06/30/2000 11:41 PM
                      Please respond to ntb-clips

                      To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                      cc:
                      Subject: Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

                      >Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                      >points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                      >HTH

                      >Piotr Bienkowski
                      >a clipper from Poland

                      >> Hi folks....
                      >>
                      >> I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....
                      >>
                      >> But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                      >> and open one or more of them?

                      Lonely? Get Firetalk!
                      Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
                      Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/8/_/2798/_/962430153/