Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

  • acummings@snowcrest.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
      > > But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
      > > and open one or more of them?

      > Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
      > points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

      Hi:

      Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
      sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But I do
      not know how to

      Is a clip needed and/or can someone steer me to directions or else tell me how
      to open Notetab with not the default ini but my ini of choice?

      Thanks.
      Alan.

      This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
      http://www.snowcrest.net
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
        Hi Alan,

        At 03:24 PM 07/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
        >> > But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
        >> > and open one or more of them?
        >
        >> Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
        >> points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)
        >
        >Hi:
        >
        >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
        >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
        I do
        >not know how to
        >
        >Is a clip needed and/or can someone steer me to directions or else tell me
        how
        >to open Notetab with not the default ini but my ini of choice?

        The most common way to do this is from a shortcut. Create a new shortcut
        and name it for whatever special thing you want the new ini to do (HTML?).
        Open the properties dialog for the shortcut and in the "Target" box you
        should see something like "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPRO.exe".
        Right cursor so you can edit this box and add INI=HTML (or use whatever
        name you gave your new ini). You can make a copy of your regular ini file
        and call it HTML.ini or whatever you want. Click ok on the properties box
        and when you have created the copy, you can run the new version of NoteTab.
        Now you can customize that version to the way you want it and everytime
        you click the shortcut, it will come up that way - with files open and
        fonts and everything.

        You can also lunch such copies from NoteTab itself. Just make a clip for
        each one.

        ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

        or

        ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

        And the alternate version should open when you run the clip just the same
        as with the shortcut.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Alan,

          Sorry. My goof.

          ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

          Should be: ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

          and

          ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

          Should be: ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

          The slash in front of the INI is necessary for the thing to work.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
            Hi Alan,

            I managed to make it even a little shorter.

            ^!^$GetAppFileName$ /INI=HTML

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...

            I don't have a license to kill.  I have a learner's permit.
          • Eb Guenther
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
              Hi acummings@...,

              >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
              >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
              >I do
              not know how to

              The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).

              "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

              Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
              These paths may be different on your system!

              Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
              must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

              Cheers,

              Eb
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                Hi Eb,

                At 03:03 PM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi acummings@...,
                >
                >>Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
                >>sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
                >>I do
                >not know how to
                >
                >The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).
                >
                >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
                /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

                >Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
                >These paths may be different on your system!
                >
                >Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
                >must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

                Caught me in another goof! The /INI=HTML can only be used (1) if you
                launch the program from a clip or (2) if you have the ini file located in
                the same directory/folder as the shortcut. Otherwise you are correct to
                included the whole path. You do not however need the .ini ending since
                NoteTab assumes it. You can also use a long file name format for the
                shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

                The portion after /INI= is enclosed in quotes as you can see and it works
                in a shortcut for me.

                "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
                Pro\HTML"

                You do not actually need to create the ini file before running this
                shortcut. NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
                the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you want and
                when you shut it down, it will write the settings to HTML.ini in the folder
                you have specified. NoteTab will create the specified ini file if you have
                not already created it.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
              • acummings@snowcrest.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                  Hi Larry, Eb:

                  Thank you for all of your participation regard xtra ini

                  I think I can figure it out now. I need some time to implement it though since
                  I now on vacation at a buddy's where I checking my email.

                  I saved all the data from your posts so when I get back to my own computer, I
                  can implement it.

                  Best regards.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                    Hi Larry,

                    >You do not however need the .ini ending since
                    >NoteTab assumes it.

                    True, but I like to know what files I'm dealing with
                    without having to rely on my memory, and NTP does allow
                    different INI extensions.

                    >You can also use a long file name format for the
                    >shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

                    This did not work for me when I first tried it on Windows NT.
                    Once I found a working shortcut I never bothered to find out
                    if the problem was NTP or Win NT.

                    >... NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
                    >the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you
                    >want and when you shut it down, it will write the settings to
                    >HTML.ini in the folder you have specified. NoteTab will create
                    >the specified ini file if you have not already created it.

                    I had forgotten this generic behaviour. My ini files
                    all contain signatures, without which my libraries
                    will abort. So for _my_ use, the INI must exist, but
                    of course that does not apply to anyone else.

                    Cheers,

                    Eb
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                      Hi Alan, Eb, Larry T., Clippers,

                      --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Eb Guenther <ebg@m...> wrote:
                      > Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same
                      > time you must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple
                      > instances.

                      With the instance parameter on the commandline, you can run multiple
                      instances even if you have it checked in your "main" instance.

                      This relates to a clip I posted a few weeks ago that allows one to
                      create NoteTab command lines wiht the desired parameters, that can
                      then be pasted into a shortcut, or used as a clip. I have a couple of
                      specialized clips for special purpose use of NoteTab, that I find
                      very helpful.

                      Here is the clip:

                      Note that is rely's on having the NoteTab 4.82 Utilities clip
                      available.

                      ---------< start clip >---------
                      H="NoteTab CommandLine"
                      ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <Larry_H@...>
                      ;04/29/2000
                      ^!SetListDelimiter=|
                      ^!Set %path%=^$GetAppPath$
                      ^!Set %pgm%=^?{NoteTab Version?
                      ==Standard^=NoteTab.exe|_Pro^=NotePro.exe}

                      ;
                      ;Borrowed the _FillLibraryList clip and part of the SwitchLibrary
                      clip from the Utilities.clb. Thanks to Eric for pointing out why this
                      method is needed. Any Libraries that start with an "_" (underscore)
                      need to have a space added in from of them, since the "_" has a
                      special meaning in clip wizards. A major case of "if it was a snake
                      it would have bit me." Thanks to Eric & Jody for their patience!
                      ;
                      ;^!Clip FillLibraryList
                      ^!FarClip Utilities:FillLibraryList
                      ^!Set %LibraryName%=^?{(H=10)Choose a library==_^%LibraryList%}
                      ^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$

                      ;
                      ;**_CAUTION_**: Be careful with the use of the NoteTab.ini file. I
                      trashed one and had to restore from backup. Be sure your ini files
                      are backed up unless you do not mind re-creating all of your NoteTab
                      settings, if there is a problem. ;)
                      ;
                      ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace("^$GetAppPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                      ("^$GetAppPath$";"*.ini")$";False;False)$
                      ^!Set %ini%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%ini%}
                      ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace(".ini";;"^%ini%";False;False)$
                      ;
                      ;Generates an Instance of NoteTab. Use needs to configure for their
                      preferences.
                      ;
                      ^!Set %inst%=^?{Instance?=="HTML Editing"|"Java"|Default^=""}
                      ;
                      ;Since the ClipBar *.ctb files are in the Library directory, the
                      ^$GetLibraryPath$ function can do double duty.
                      ;
                      ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace("^$GetLibraryPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                      ("^$GetLibraryPath$";"*.ctb")$";False;False)$
                      ^!Set %bar%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%bar%}
                      ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace(".ctb";;"^%bar%";False;False)$

                      ;Show the NoteTab Commandline that is created. This can then be
                      copied and used to create a clip to launch different configurations
                      of NoteTab.
                      ;
                      ;If you want to create a commandline that will launch a specific clip
                      in the selected library, put a colon and the clip name after it
                      like "/L=LibraryName:ClipName" I find this handy for running a
                      specialized clip that needs to close all open documents. I tend to
                      leave all of the documents I am currently working on open, so when I
                      open NoteTab, I know what I was in the middle of. Yes, I know about
                      favorites, but NoteTab lets me "do it my way." ;)
                      ^!Info "^%path%^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                      ini%"
                      ^!Delay 15
                      ;
                      ^!AppendToFile "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt" "^%path%
                      ^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%ini%"
                      ;
                      ^!Open "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt"

                      ^!Run "^%path%^%pgm%" /L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                      ini%"
                      ---------< end clip >-----------

                      HTH,

                      Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
                      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
                    • Mitch Cameron
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 3, 2000
                        Thanks, Piotr...>!

                        I'll take a look.

                        _______________________________________
                        Mitch Cameron
                        Dir. Business Process Engineering
                        OnePipeline.com
                        mcameron@...
                        Office: 801-313-4914
                        Cell: 801-971-8033
                        _______________________________________

                        "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@...>
                        06/30/2000 11:41 PM
                        Please respond to ntb-clips

                        To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                        cc:
                        Subject: Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

                        >Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                        >points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                        >HTH

                        >Piotr Bienkowski
                        >a clipper from Poland

                        >> Hi folks....
                        >>
                        >> I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....
                        >>
                        >> But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                        >> and open one or more of them?

                        Lonely? Get Firetalk!
                        Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
                        Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/8/_/2798/_/962430153/