[Clip] Re: AJC's Quick Count

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 1999
      Hi Aaron,

      At 12:05 PM 5/1/1999 -0700, you wrote:
      >Jody and all -
      >
      >In return for the help (as usual - you were great!), here's the clip that
      was
      >causing me problems.
      >
      >It will tell you how many times a string appears in the selected text.
      >
      >Ex: Select the following text
      >
      >this,is,a,list,of,data,items
      >
      >and run the clip on it, with "," as the search string, and it will return
      >"6", because there are 6 commas.

      Actually NoteTab Pro allows you to do this directly without using a clip
      for it. First select some text in your document - it will search the whole
      document if you don't. Then from the menu select Search | Count occurrences
      and then enter in the string you want to count and click "Count
      occurrences" and you will get your answer. Your clip does have the
      advantage of placing the information into a variable to be used in another
      clip if you want to.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 1999
        Hi Aaron and All,

        > ^!Set %SEARCH%=^?{Search String?=,}; %CASE%=^?{Case...
        > ^!Set %SEARCH%=^?{Search String?=,}; %CASE%=^?{Case...
        > etc... all work, at least with your clip.

        I was curious about the above so I made a special test clip to
        see if it was in all cases that it worked regardless off the
        spacing after the semi-colon. The answer is, no. Personally,
        I would stick with the space after the semi-colon since that
        is the standard.

        This errs:
        ^!Set %test1%=1; %test2%=2; %test3%=3
        ^%test1%