Clip cataloging

  • Mitch Cameron
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
      Hi folks....

      I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....

      But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries, and
      open one or more of them?

      I have about 30 D/L'd libraries I'm fiddling with.

      I'd like to group all HTML libraries in a 'toolbox', all Java libraries in
      a 'toolbox', etc. and then open toolboxes as needed. IOW, just open the
      HTML toolbox, thus exposing the 5-10 clip libraries, oe perhaps open the
      HTML toolbox, AND the CSS toolbox to expose just these libraries.

      Any ideas? If it's in the HELP files, just tell me what terms I'm looking
      for and I'll do the rest!
      Thanks in advance.

      _______________________________________
      Mitch Cameron
      Dir. Business Process Engineering
      OnePipeline.com
      mcameron@...
      Office: 801-313-4914
      Cell: 801-971-8033
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
        Hi Mitch,

        > I'd like to group all HTML libraries in a 'toolbox', all Java
        > libraries in a 'toolbox', etc. and then open toolboxes as
        > needed. IOW, just open the HTML toolbox, thus exposing the 5-
        > 10 clip libraries, oe perhaps open the HTML toolbox, AND the
        > CSS toolbox to expose just these libraries.

        The answer to all your desires plus more is found in The
        Librarian by Charles Raines. It is the ultimate Library
        management tool!

        http://www.escape.ca/~rainec/notetab.htm

        Here is another method that I use also. This particular one I
        have on the Clipbar with two others that I need to toggle the
        Libraries often to and fro the Libraries bar. Both methods put
        the Library attribute in the Hidden state which hides it from the
        Libraries bar although you can still get to it from the Library
        combo box above the Clips. You must be in version 4.8 (maybe
        4.82) to use them.

        <--- Copy below this line --->
        H=NoteTab's Default
        ; Last Updated 06/30/2000, Sojourner@..., jody
        ; long line follows till blank line
        ^!Set %Library%=^$GetLibraryPath$^?[(H=33)Clipbook==AutoCorrect|CaptureLinks|Euro|FormatEmail|FTP|HTML|HTML-ar|PasteClips|RemindMe|SampleCode|Smilies|TopStyle|Utilities].clb

        ^!IfFileAttr "^%Library%" H UnHide

        ^!SetFileAttr "^%Library%" H
        ^!Refresh
        ^!Goto End

        :UnHide
        ^!SetFileAttr "^%Library%" -H
        ^!Refresh
        ^!LoadLibrary ^%Library%

        <--- Copy above this line, right --->
        <--- click over a Library, and --->
        <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Eb Guenther
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
          Hi Jody, Mitch,

          > > I'd like to group all HTML libraries in a 'toolbox', all Java
          > > libraries in a 'toolbox', etc. and then open toolboxes as
          > > needed. IOW, just open the HTML toolbox, thus exposing the 5-
          > > 10 clip libraries, oe perhaps open the HTML toolbox, AND the
          > > CSS toolbox to expose just these libraries.
          >
          >The answer to all your desires plus more is found in The
          >Librarian by Charles Raines. It is the ultimate Library
          >management tool!
          >
          >http://www.escape.ca/~rainec/notetab.htm

          I just recently installed this library manager, and
          it's really worth trying out.

          Your "toolboxes" will probably equate to Charlie's
          "groups".

          Cheers,

          Eb
        • Mitch Cameron
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
            Yup...!

            Installed it and tried it, and it does the job.

            I'm having a little trouble getting icons placed on the ClipBar to work
            consistently, however. I've just placed a Library 'On ' and 'Off' toggle
            on the ClipBar, and they work a little erratically.

            Maybe it's a setting of mine in /Options?
            I dunno....
            _______________________________________
            Mitch Cameron
            Dir. Business Process Engineering
            OnePipeline.com
            mcameron@...
            Office: 801-313-4914
            Cell: 801-971-8033
            _______________________________________

            Eb Guenther <ebg@...-pc.org>
            06/30/2000 01:04 PM
            Please respond to ntb-clips

            To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
            cc:
            Subject: Re: [Clip] Clip cataloging

            Hi Jody, Mitch,

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
              Hi Mitch,

              > I'm having a little trouble getting icons placed on the ClipBar
              > to work consistently, however. I've just placed a Library 'On
              > ' and 'Off' toggle on the ClipBar, and they work a little
              > erratically.
              >
              > Maybe it's a setting of mine in /Options?

              Save the Clipbar before trying. (Clipbar content menu.) Also,
              try loading a different Library. Sometimes OnClipboardChange
              Libraries can cause problems. Charles' might need to be loaded
              to work. I never tried it another way. If you are referring to
              that Clip I sent, make sure the long ^!Set line with the
              Libraries listed did not get hard wrapped in the mail.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
                Thanks, Jody....

                I'm working with Charles' utility for the moment. I haven't tried yours,
                yet. Hopefully this weekend!

                _______________________________________
                Mitch Cameron
                "Carpe Carpa..."

                Jody <KJB1611@...>
                06/30/2000 02:13 PM
                Please respond to ntb-clips

                To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                cc:

                Hi Mitch,

                > I'm having a little trouble getting icons placed on the ClipBar
                > to work consistently, however. I've just placed a Library 'On
                > ' and 'Off' toggle on the ClipBar, and they work a little
                > erratically.
                >
                > Maybe it's a setting of mine in /Options?

                Save the Clipbar before trying. (Clipbar content menu.) Also,
                try loading a different Library. Sometimes OnClipboardChange
                Libraries can cause problems. Charles' might need to be loaded
                to work. I never tried it another way. If you are referring to
                that Clip I sent, make sure the long ^!Set line with the
                Libraries listed did not get hard wrapped in the mail.

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

                Challenged with e-Business quality management? Register for a free
                Webinar featuring e-business testing and performance experts.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/5935/8/_/2798/_/962396001/
              • Charles M. Raine
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
                  Hi Mitch:

                  At 01:52 PM 6/30/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                  >I'm having a little trouble getting icons placed on the ClipBar to work
                  >consistently, however. I've just placed a Library 'On ' and 'Off' toggle
                  >on the ClipBar, and they work a little erratically.
                  The On and Off Toggles won't work from the clipbar because they are all the same names. NoteTab won't know which 'On' or 'Off' you are referring to. They can only be run from the Librarian Clipbook...
                  Charlie.

                  Charles M. Raine Home Page: http://www.escape.ca/~rainec
                  Phone (204) 895-0940 ICQ # 300058
                  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
                • Mitch Cameron
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
                    Gotcha....

                    I tried renaming them but that seemed to booger them up completely....!

                    Problem solved!

                    THanks,
                    Mitch

                    "Charles M. Raine" <rainec@...>
                    06/30/2000 03:48 PM
                    Please respond to ntb-clips

                    To: ntb-clips@egroups.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
                      Hi Mitch:

                      Perhaps I should explain in more detail what I really meant about 'On' and 'Off' not working from the Clipbar.

                      If you have created Multiple Groups of clipbooks which you referred to as "Toolboxes" then within the Librarian you will have an 'On' and 'Off' clip for each Group, with the Group Name displayed in red above the pair of them. Because the clip names are always 'On' and 'Off', (and you will have multiple 'On' and 'Off') you cannot therefore address them from the clipbar, but MUST therefor use the Librarian Clipbook to make your specific selection.

                      If by chance you don't understand what I mean, let me know and I will send you a picture of my librarian by private email. I have about 80 clipbook libraries broken into over 10 separate groups, and that's growing every day.
                      Charlie.

                      Charles M. Raine Home Page: http://www.escape.ca/~rainec
                      Phone (204) 895-0940 ICQ # 300058
                      Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
                    • Piotr Bienkowski
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 30, 2000
                        Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                        points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                        HTH

                        Piotr Bienkowski
                        a clipper from Poland

                      • acummings@snowcrest.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                          > > But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                          > > and open one or more of them?

                          > Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                          > points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                          Hi:

                          Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
                          sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But I do
                          not know how to

                          Is a clip needed and/or can someone steer me to directions or else tell me how
                          to open Notetab with not the default ini but my ini of choice?

                          Thanks.
                          Alan.

                          This message was sent using SnowCrest WebMail.
                          http://www.snowcrest.net
                        • Larry Thomas
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                            Hi Alan,

                            At 03:24 PM 07/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
                            >> > But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                            >> > and open one or more of them?
                            >
                            >> Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                            >> points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)
                            >
                            >Hi:
                            >
                            >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
                            >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
                            I do
                            >not know how to
                            >
                            >Is a clip needed and/or can someone steer me to directions or else tell me
                            how
                            >to open Notetab with not the default ini but my ini of choice?

                            The most common way to do this is from a shortcut. Create a new shortcut
                            and name it for whatever special thing you want the new ini to do (HTML?).
                            Open the properties dialog for the shortcut and in the "Target" box you
                            should see something like "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPRO.exe".
                            Right cursor so you can edit this box and add INI=HTML (or use whatever
                            name you gave your new ini). You can make a copy of your regular ini file
                            and call it HTML.ini or whatever you want. Click ok on the properties box
                            and when you have created the copy, you can run the new version of NoteTab.
                            Now you can customize that version to the way you want it and everytime
                            you click the shortcut, it will come up that way - with files open and
                            fonts and everything.

                            You can also lunch such copies from NoteTab itself. Just make a clip for
                            each one.

                            ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

                            or

                            ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

                            And the alternate version should open when you run the clip just the same
                            as with the shortcut.

                            Regards,

                            Larry
                            larryt@...
                          • Larry Thomas
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                              Hi Alan,

                              Sorry. My goof.

                              ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

                              Should be: ^!Shell ^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

                              and

                              ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe INI=HTML

                              Should be: ^!^$GetAppPath$NOTEPRO.exe /INI=HTML

                              The slash in front of the INI is necessary for the thing to work.

                              Regards,

                              Larry
                              larryt@...
                            • Larry Thomas
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                                Hi Alan,

                                I managed to make it even a little shorter.

                                ^!^$GetAppFileName$ /INI=HTML

                                Regards,

                                Larry
                                larryt@...

                                I don't have a license to kill.  I have a learner's permit.
                              • Eb Guenther
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                                  Hi acummings@...,

                                  >Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
                                  >sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
                                  >I do
                                  not know how to

                                  The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).

                                  "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

                                  Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
                                  These paths may be different on your system!

                                  Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
                                  must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Eb
                                • Larry Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                                    Hi Eb,

                                    At 03:03 PM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >Hi acummings@...,
                                    >
                                    >>Not necisarily for .clb organization purposes. But for various reasons, I
                                    >>sometimes want 2nd incidence NoteTab with its own configuration/ini. But
                                    >>I do
                                    >not know how to
                                    >
                                    >The following shortcut works for me (all on one line, ini must exist).
                                    >
                                    >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
                                    /INI=c:\progra~1\noteta~2\Blank.ini

                                    >Note the positioning of the quotes, and the use of the DOS short filenames.
                                    >These paths may be different on your system!
                                    >
                                    >Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same time you
                                    >must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple instances.

                                    Caught me in another goof! The /INI=HTML can only be used (1) if you
                                    launch the program from a clip or (2) if you have the ini file located in
                                    the same directory/folder as the shortcut. Otherwise you are correct to
                                    included the whole path. You do not however need the .ini ending since
                                    NoteTab assumes it. You can also use a long file name format for the
                                    shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

                                    The portion after /INI= is enclosed in quotes as you can see and it works
                                    in a shortcut for me.

                                    "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
                                    Pro\HTML"

                                    You do not actually need to create the ini file before running this
                                    shortcut. NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
                                    the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you want and
                                    when you shut it down, it will write the settings to HTML.ini in the folder
                                    you have specified. NoteTab will create the specified ini file if you have
                                    not already created it.

                                    Regards,

                                    Larry
                                    larryt@...
                                  • acummings@snowcrest.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 1, 2000
                                      Hi Larry, Eb:

                                      Thank you for all of your participation regard xtra ini

                                      I think I can figure it out now. I need some time to implement it though since
                                      I now on vacation at a buddy's where I checking my email.

                                      I saved all the data from your posts so when I get back to my own computer, I
                                      can implement it.

                                      Best regards.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                                        Hi Larry,

                                        >You do not however need the .ini ending since
                                        >NoteTab assumes it.

                                        True, but I like to know what files I'm dealing with
                                        without having to rely on my memory, and NTP does allow
                                        different INI extensions.

                                        >You can also use a long file name format for the
                                        >shortcut if you enclose it in quotes.

                                        This did not work for me when I first tried it on Windows NT.
                                        Once I found a working shortcut I never bothered to find out
                                        if the problem was NTP or Win NT.

                                        >... NoteTab will come up as if it were a new install complete with
                                        >the splash screen and all. Then you can customize it the way you
                                        >want and when you shut it down, it will write the settings to
                                        >HTML.ini in the folder you have specified. NoteTab will create
                                        >the specified ini file if you have not already created it.

                                        I had forgotten this generic behaviour. My ini files
                                        all contain signatures, without which my libraries
                                        will abort. So for _my_ use, the INI must exist, but
                                        of course that does not apply to anyone else.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Eb
                                      • Larry Hamilton
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 2, 2000
                                          Hi Alan, Eb, Larry T., Clippers,

                                          --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Eb Guenther <ebg@m...> wrote:
                                          > Also, if you want to run multiple instances of NoteTab at the same
                                          > time you must check the box next to Options/General/Allow Multiple
                                          > instances.

                                          With the instance parameter on the commandline, you can run multiple
                                          instances even if you have it checked in your "main" instance.

                                          This relates to a clip I posted a few weeks ago that allows one to
                                          create NoteTab command lines wiht the desired parameters, that can
                                          then be pasted into a shortcut, or used as a clip. I have a couple of
                                          specialized clips for special purpose use of NoteTab, that I find
                                          very helpful.

                                          Here is the clip:

                                          Note that is rely's on having the NoteTab 4.82 Utilities clip
                                          available.

                                          ---------< start clip >---------
                                          H="NoteTab CommandLine"
                                          ;Larry Hamilton, Jr. <Larry_H@...>
                                          ;04/29/2000
                                          ^!SetListDelimiter=|
                                          ^!Set %path%=^$GetAppPath$
                                          ^!Set %pgm%=^?{NoteTab Version?
                                          ==Standard^=NoteTab.exe|_Pro^=NotePro.exe}

                                          ;
                                          ;Borrowed the _FillLibraryList clip and part of the SwitchLibrary
                                          clip from the Utilities.clb. Thanks to Eric for pointing out why this
                                          method is needed. Any Libraries that start with an "_" (underscore)
                                          need to have a space added in from of them, since the "_" has a
                                          special meaning in clip wizards. A major case of "if it was a snake
                                          it would have bit me." Thanks to Eric & Jody for their patience!
                                          ;
                                          ;^!Clip FillLibraryList
                                          ^!FarClip Utilities:FillLibraryList
                                          ^!Set %LibraryName%=^?{(H=10)Choose a library==_^%LibraryList%}
                                          ^!Set %lib%=^$StrDelete("^%LibraryName%";1;1)$

                                          ;
                                          ;**_CAUTION_**: Be careful with the use of the NoteTab.ini file. I
                                          trashed one and had to restore from backup. Be sure your ini files
                                          are backed up unless you do not mind re-creating all of your NoteTab
                                          settings, if there is a problem. ;)
                                          ;
                                          ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace("^$GetAppPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                                          ("^$GetAppPath$";"*.ini")$";False;False)$
                                          ^!Set %ini%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%ini%}
                                          ^!Set %ini%=^$StrReplace(".ini";;"^%ini%";False;False)$
                                          ;
                                          ;Generates an Instance of NoteTab. Use needs to configure for their
                                          preferences.
                                          ;
                                          ^!Set %inst%=^?{Instance?=="HTML Editing"|"Java"|Default^=""}
                                          ;
                                          ;Since the ClipBar *.ctb files are in the Library directory, the
                                          ^$GetLibraryPath$ function can do double duty.
                                          ;
                                          ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace("^$GetLibraryPath$";;"^$GetFiles
                                          ("^$GetLibraryPath$";"*.ctb")$";False;False)$
                                          ^!Set %bar%=^?{(H=15)Choose Library to Open==^%bar%}
                                          ^!Set %bar%=^$StrReplace(".ctb";;"^%bar%";False;False)$

                                          ;Show the NoteTab Commandline that is created. This can then be
                                          copied and used to create a clip to launch different configurations
                                          of NoteTab.
                                          ;
                                          ;If you want to create a commandline that will launch a specific clip
                                          in the selected library, put a colon and the clip name after it
                                          like "/L=LibraryName:ClipName" I find this handy for running a
                                          specialized clip that needs to close all open documents. I tend to
                                          leave all of the documents I am currently working on open, so when I
                                          open NoteTab, I know what I was in the middle of. Yes, I know about
                                          favorites, but NoteTab lets me "do it my way." ;)
                                          ^!Info "^%path%^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                                          ini%"
                                          ^!Delay 15
                                          ;
                                          ^!AppendToFile "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt" "^%path%
                                          ^%pgm%"/L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%ini%"
                                          ;
                                          ^!Open "D:\NoteTab\Documents\NoteTabCommandLines.txt"

                                          ^!Run "^%path%^%pgm%" /L="^%lib%" /C=^%bar% /INST="^%inst%" /INI="^%
                                          ini%"
                                          ---------< end clip >-----------

                                          HTH,

                                          Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
                                          http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                                          My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
                                        • Mitch Cameron
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 3, 2000
                                            Thanks, Piotr...>!

                                            I'll take a look.

                                            _______________________________________
                                            Mitch Cameron
                                            Dir. Business Process Engineering
                                            OnePipeline.com
                                            mcameron@...
                                            Office: 801-313-4914
                                            Cell: 801-971-8033
                                            _______________________________________

                                            "Piotr Bienkowski" <syntax@...>
                                            06/30/2000 11:41 PM
                                            Please respond to ntb-clips

                                            To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
                                            cc:

                                            >Starting notetab with a switch pointing to a different *.ini that
                                            >points to a different set of clip libraries (=toolbox)

                                            >HTH

                                            >Piotr Bienkowski
                                            >a clipper from Poland

                                            >> Hi folks....
                                            >>
                                            >> I'm not even sure how to phrase this question - terminology-wise.....
                                            >>
                                            >> But, is there a way to create 'toolboxes' of various clip libraries,
                                            >> and open one or more of them?

                                            Lonely? Get Firetalk!
                                            Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
                                            Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
                                            http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/8/_/2798/_/962430153/