Re: [Clip] FTP clip

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2000
      Hey Mike,
      >I'm working on an ftp project of my own in which there is a desire
      >preserve original date/time stamp as the file moves from one
      computer
      >to another and receives new names in the process.

      >I've looked at the ftp notes you put into otl form, Larry - thanks for
      >that, btw - but didn't see a reference to this.
      Glad to share, I put it together for my own use anyway, so thought
      might as well share. I am not that brilliant. The FTP commands
      outline I
      made was only what I found on the web, with some things I
      discovered
      about FTP.
      >Maybe I didn't look close >enough.

      >There must be a way. right?

      If there is a way, I do not know what it would be. The timestamp is
      the
      time it gets written on a computer, right? So when copying it to
      another
      PC, it has the time of "creation" on the other PC. I am not sure
      why it
      would change though. Is it a difference in operating systems?
      When I
      FTP from a website and get a zipfile, it has the date of the original
      file.
      That would be a clumsy workaround to zip and unzip files to
      preserve
      the timestamp. I also do not recall a simple copy to a floppy
      changing
      the timestamp. If there is a way, it is beyond my knowledge.

      Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
    • Michael Gerholdt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2000
        Hi, Larry and all,

        I had asked about preserving date and time stamp when tranferring a file via
        ftp.

        What I've come to believe is this:

        WS_FTP Pro has a feature that allows one to preserve date and time stamp
        upon download only but not upon upload. I think that in reality what it is
        doing is not truly 'preserving' but rather discovering the original
        time/date stamp, and then after the file is transferred, it changes the
        time-date stamp on the newly created file to match what it had been prior to
        download.

        This takes some intimacy with the OS which is why it can do this on the
        machine that WS_FTP is on, but it has no ability to control what the
        time/date stamp is when the file is newly created on another machine.
        (NoteTab Pro could maybe do this too, doncha think? - discover the timestamp
        on a file via ftp?)

        That's my guestimation of the situation .. which renders the issue moot for
        me.

        regards,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Michael,

          > (NoteTab Pro could maybe do this too, doncha think? - discover
          > the timestamp on a file via ftp?)
          >
          > That's my guestimation of the situation .. which renders the
          > issue moot for me.

          I was hoping somebody would come up with a way for NoteTab to
          change the date/time stamp on a file myself.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            At 04:02 AM 07/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi Michael,
            >
            >> (NoteTab Pro could maybe do this too, doncha think? - discover
            >> the timestamp on a file via ftp?)
            >>
            >> That's my guestimation of the situation .. which renders the
            >> issue moot for me.
            >
            >I was hoping somebody would come up with a way for NoteTab to
            >change the date/time stamp on a file myself.

            Right now all I can think of is using another program for this. I have
            TakeCommand32 which is an alternative to the MS-DOS Command.com and it has
            a "Touch" command which will allow me to do this from a batch file that I
            can run from NoteTab. The program is $80.00 though. If you can convice
            Eric that this is a very useful thing for NoteTab users that are running
            script compilers and updating Web Sites, you might be able to get him to ad
            a ^!Touch command to version 5.0.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
              Hi Larry,

              > The program is $80.00 though. If you can convice Eric that
              > this is a very useful thing for NoteTab users that are running
              > script compilers and updating Web Sites, you might be able to
              > get him to ad a ^!Touch command to version 5.0.

              How about a ^!SetFileDate "File" instead. :)

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
            • Eb Guenther
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
                Hi Jody, Larry,

                > > The program is $80.00 though. If you can convice Eric that
                > > this is a very useful thing for NoteTab users that are running
                > > script compilers and updating Web Sites, you might be able to
                > > get him to ad a ^!Touch command to version 5.0.
                >
                >How about a ^!SetFileDate "File" instead. :)

                I thought you guys wanted to change the file to some date other
                than the current, so I did not bother to post.

                Now I see! The current date can be applied to any Windows file
                with a DOS command (which you can run from NTP):

                copy /b source+,,

                The commas make the command act on the file without copying it to
                a destination file.

                I have no FAT system handy, so cannot test this command.
                I'll leave it to you to place into your own "Touch" command,
                which you could use every time you upload a file, etc.

                Good luck.

                Eb
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
                  Hi Eb,

                  >> How about a ^!SetFileDate "File;Date+Time" instead. :)
                  >
                  > I thought you guys wanted to change the file to some date other
                  > than the current, so I did not bother to post.

                  Yes, that is exactly what I want to do - change the date - for
                  various reasons.