[Clip] Re: Execute Clip Wizards conditionally, rather than automatically?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 1999
      Hi Aaron,

      > Is there any way to have some instructions run BEFORE clip
      > wizards are resolved? If certain conditions aren't met, the
      > clip can't be run anyway, so it's silly to ask the user to set
      > parameters before doing some error checking.

      ^!IfFalse "^$GetSelSize$" End
      ^?{Wizards must be in curly brakets}

      When curly brackets are used around the code instead of [square]
      they will not come up until their turn in the script.

      Happy NoteTabbin',
      Jody Adair

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
      http://www.notetab.com

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 1999
        At 06:53 PM 4/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >When curly brackets are used around the code instead of [square]
        >they will not come up until their turn in the script.

        Ahah! Excellent! That does it. I needed to do some re-writing so that
        all the parameters were collected at once, rather than being located in
        ^?[wizards] scattered throughout the clip, but that's ok.

        Thanks much!

        BTW - I didn't see that anywhere in the help file. I did notice this in the
        "Clip Wizards" section, but it doesn't seem to explain the subtle difference
        that [] is executed at the start and {} wizards wait their turn...

        -snip-
        When you define input fields using the "^?[...]" format, the Wizard is
        displayed before any of the Clip instructions are executed/evaluated.
        The Wizard is built from all such fields encountered in the Clip. The
        second format uses curly braces instead of square brackets "^?{...}".
        -snip-

        This shows there's a difference, but doesn't really explain what that
        difference might be. Perhaps the help file could call that out, or have
        a link to the area of the help file that does explain that...

        Thanks again!
        *AC*

        NEAR!....................................*far*
        -Grover

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 1999
          Hi Aaron,

          > When you define input fields using the "^?[...]" format,...
          > The second format uses curly braces
          >
          > Perhaps the help file could call that out, or have a link to
          > the area of the help file that does explain that...

          This is true! It does tell you what the square does, but one
          could easily interpret the curly as if you feel like making the
          curly, go ahead. Kind of like the different formats for the
          other commands we are allowed.

          Sp├Ąter,
          Jody Adair

          I can only please one person a day.
          Today is obviously not your day.
          Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)
          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 3:02 AM
            4/30/1999 6:53 PM Jody wrote
            > Hi Aaron,
            >> Is there any way to have some instructions run BEFORE clip
            >> wizards are resolved? ...

            > When curly brackets are used around the code instead of
            > [square] they will not come up until their turn in the
            > script.

            A little more about curly vs square -

            Squares collect all the wizard lines & pop up one display.
            Curlies only work with the line of code where they're
            contained.
            ^!Set %a%=^?{First Name=}; %b%=^?{Last Name=}
            Would be one wizard display but if you did each on a
            different line, it would pop up the first one it came to &
            wait for input & then pop up the 2nd & wait for input.
            Also, with a square, you can put them in your code in any
            order you happen to think of them & use a numeric value to
            designate the order of display in the wizard. Curlies
            just go from left to right on a single line. You can use
            variables, wizard titles & wizard labels with curlies but
            not with squares.

            --- Grandma Kay ---
            http://notetab.kay.net

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ntb-clips