Re: [Clip] use of Unicode commands

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
      Hello Piotr,

      >It seems that nobody made any practical use of the Unicode command as
      >yet. :(
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I just tested the unicode commands that come with the latest release
      > > of NTP, they work well both ways (save, retrieve, including the Polish
      > > character set), but I am curious what these commands could be used
      > > for. The innards of a txt saved to Unicode look a bit like MS Word
      > > doc's and indeed MS Words "retrieve text from any file" command reads
      > > them perfectly well.
      > >
      > > Are there any other aplications that need to read strings in unicode
      > > format? I am not saying that these commands are not needed, I am just
      > > curious of what the possible practical applications are.

      While I was working on NoteTab 4.82, I got many requests from people
      working with SQL (a database query language). A number of these products
      handle SQL scripts exclusively in UNICODE format. As a result, it was
      impossible to use NoteTab for managing those SQL strings. Hence the new
      support for UNICODE text in the Clip language. I'm sure there are plenty of
      other uses too.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      Support NoteTab by casting your vote at ...
      http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/sia/pchoice.html
      (specify NoteTab Pro, Std, or Light)

      .
      .
      .
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2000
        Hi clippers,

        If you have ever tried to sort logged URLs,
        such as referring sites, visitor's domain
        names, etc, you know that sorting from left
        to right doesn't tell you much.

        Here is a nifty website log utility, that
        reverses host name fields

        from "host.secondary.primary"
        to "primary.secondary.host"

        so you can sort a list of URLs into logical
        groups.

        For example,
        http://www.notetab.com/html/index.html
        becomes
        com.notetab.www/html/index.html

        or optionally (see :OPTIONAL):
        http://com.notetab.www/html/index.html

        I stripped the clip of bells and wistles, since
        they are site specific.

        Enjoy,

        Eb

        Control: Wordwrap OFF. Clip should be 41 lines,
        including header,
        including 1 blank line at end.

        H="ReverseURL"
        ;reverse an URL for sorting by domain
        ;by Eb Guenther ntp@...
        ;--long line --
        ^!Info [L]Utility to reverse host name of URLs, so you can sort by primary,
        then secondary domain.^%nl%^%nl%It expects a single-spaced list of URLs, 1
        per line, aborts on blank line!^%nl%^%nl%You ARE working on a COPY, are you
        not?
        ;--end long line --
        ^!SetCursor 1:1
        :lineloop
        ^!Select URL
        ^!ClearVariable %backward%
        :Type_Host = type :// host.dom/path/
        ^!SetListDelimiter ://
        ^!SetArray %Type_Host%=^$GetSelection$
        ;if empty line, abort
        ^!If ^%Type_Host0% < 1 Exit
        ^!If ^%Type_Host0%=1 ^!SetArray %Type_Host%=type://^%Type_Host%
        :OPTIONAL: remove comment for next line to allow revert to original
        ;^!Set %backward%=^%Type_Host1%://
        :Host_Path = host.dom / path /
        ^!SetListDelimiter /
        ^!SetArray %Host_Path%=^%Type_Host2%
        :Host = host . dom
        ^!SetListDelimiter .
        ^!SetArray %Host%=^%Host_Path1%
        :Trim host from path
        ^!ClearVariable %Host_Path1%
        :Reassemble backward to [type://]dom.host/path/
        ^!Append %backward%=^%Host^%Host0%%
        :loop
        ^!Dec %Host0%
        ^!If ^%Host0%<1 Skip_2