Re: [Clip] use of Unicode commands

  • Piotr Bienkowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
      Dear Peter,

      It seems that nobody made any practical use of the Unicode command as
      yet. :(

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just tested the unicode commands that come with the latest release
      > of NTP, they work well both ways (save, retrieve, including the Polish
      > character set), but I am curious what these commands could be used
      > for. The innards of a txt saved to Unicode look a bit like MS Word
      > doc's and indeed MS Words "retrieve text from any file" command reads
      > them perfectly well.
      >
      > Are there any other aplications that need to read strings in unicode
      > format? I am not saying that these commands are not needed, I am just
      > curious of what the possible practical applications are.
      >
      > And I am sure that many will hasten to enlighten me here. :)
      >
      > Regards,
      >

      > Piotr BieĊ„kowski

      > -- Missing old school friends? Find them here:
      > --

    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
        Hello Piotr,

        >It seems that nobody made any practical use of the Unicode command as
        >yet. :(
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I just tested the unicode commands that come with the latest release
        > > of NTP, they work well both ways (save, retrieve, including the Polish
        > > character set), but I am curious what these commands could be used
        > > for. The innards of a txt saved to Unicode look a bit like MS Word
        > > doc's and indeed MS Words "retrieve text from any file" command reads
        > > them perfectly well.
        > >
        > > Are there any other aplications that need to read strings in unicode
        > > format? I am not saying that these commands are not needed, I am just
        > > curious of what the possible practical applications are.

        While I was working on NoteTab 4.82, I got many requests from people
        working with SQL (a database query language). A number of these products
        handle SQL scripts exclusively in UNICODE format. As a result, it was
        impossible to use NoteTab for managing those SQL strings. Hence the new
        support for UNICODE text in the Clip language. I'm sure there are plenty of
        other uses too.

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        Support NoteTab by casting your vote at ...
        http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/sia/pchoice.html
        (specify NoteTab Pro, Std, or Light)

        .
        .
        .
      • Eb Guenther
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2000
          Hi clippers,

          If you have ever tried to sort logged URLs,
          such as referring sites, visitor's domain
          names, etc, you know that sorting from left
          to right doesn't tell you much.

          Here is a nifty website log utility, that
          reverses host name fields

          from "host.secondary.primary"
          to "primary.secondary.host"

          so you can sort a list of URLs into logical
          groups.

          For example,
          http://www.notetab.com/html/index.html
          becomes
          com.notetab.www/html/index.html

          or optionally (see :OPTIONAL):
          http://com.notetab.www/html/index.html

          I stripped the clip of bells and wistles, since
          they are site specific.

          Enjoy,

          Eb

          Control: Wordwrap OFF. Clip should be 41 lines,
          including header,
          including 1 blank line at end.

          H="ReverseURL"
          ;reverse an URL for sorting by domain
          ;by Eb Guenther ntp@...
          ;--long line --
          ^!Info [L]Utility to reverse host name of URLs, so you can sort by primary,
          then secondary domain.^%nl%^%nl%It expects a single-spaced list of URLs, 1
          per line, aborts on blank line!^%nl%^%nl%You ARE working on a COPY, are you
          not?
          ;--end long line --
          ^!SetCursor 1:1
          :lineloop
          ^!Select URL
          ^!ClearVariable %backward%
          :Type_Host = type :// host.dom/path/
          ^!SetListDelimiter ://
          ^!SetArray %Type_Host%=^$GetSelection$
          ;if empty line, abort
          ^!If ^%Type_Host0% < 1 Exit
          ^!If ^%Type_Host0%=1 ^!SetArray %Type_Host%=type://^%Type_Host%
          :OPTIONAL: remove comment for next line to allow revert to original
          ;^!Set %backward%=^%Type_Host1%://
          :Host_Path = host.dom / path /
          ^!SetListDelimiter /
          ^!SetArray %Host_Path%=^%Type_Host2%
          :Host = host . dom
          ^!SetListDelimiter .
          ^!SetArray %Host%=^%Host_Path1%
          :Trim host from path
          ^!ClearVariable %Host_Path1%
          :Reassemble backward to [type://]dom.host/path/
          ^!Append %backward%=^%Host^%Host0%%
          :loop
          ^!Dec %Host0%
          ^!If ^%Host0%<1 Skip_2