Seek a clip or help to make one

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6 10:53 PM
      Hi:
      I want to have a clip which will (ftp) upload the currently focused
      document.

      There is no need to read through the following except to see my trials and
      experiments up until now.

      The ^!FarClip (FTP clb runs a script) and ^!Clip ascii gets my MS ftp
      connected and in ascii mode; these 3 lines of the clip do their duty very
      nicely.

      But I do not know if there is a way to simultaneously issue the send (or
      put) ftp command along with the result of ^$GetDocName$ into the ftp window
      and have it entered (without my manually typing the send command followed by
      the path and filename) (please see clip's commented line: "pastes into Ntab
      doc, not into ftp DOS window").

      ---------> begin clip next line <---------
      H="Send Curr Doc"
      ;^!SetDebug On
      ;Get the Name of the current document and
      ;save it in the Variable called %Ftpupdoc%
      ;^!Set %Ftpupdoc%=^$GetDocName$
      ; next 3 lines work very good
      ^!FarClip FTP:Run FTP program
      ^!Delay 5
      ^!Clip ascii
      ; pastes into Ntab doc, not into ftp DOS window
      send ^$GetDocName$
      ^!InsertText
      ---------> end clip previous line <---------

      The above clip and the next clip are in the same clb which is the active clb
      when I run the above clip.

      ---------> begin clip next line <---------
      H="ascii"
      ^!FocusApp FTP
      ^!Delay 3
      ^!Keyboard #ascii#
      ^!Keyboard ENTER
      ---------> end clip previous line <---------

      My problem is I do not know how to get it to upload the currently focused
      document. I'm wondering if a temporary file needs to be created for the
      information to be accrued in which would then be fed to the ftp command
      line?? Perhaps a Chdir to get the whatever, I dunno.

      I realize I can set ascii in the FTP script (if I need to) so that the
      ^!Clip ascii line would not be needed in the first clip above (if that
      helps).

      Thanks. Alan.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6 11:16 PM
        Hi Alan,

        > I want to have a clip which will (ftp) upload the currently
        > focused document.

        Here is a one clicker I was playing with when it first came out
        in the betas. You need to change the following data. It will
        overwrite the existing script if any and send a copy to the
        Recycle Bin. (Or at least I think TextToFile does that. <bg>)

        NoteTab.stp (Two places - optional)
        ftp.sureword.com
        USNAME
        PASSWORD
        /notetab/html

        H=/notetab/html
        ; long line till ^!Set
        ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$NoteTab.stp" open ftp.sureword.com^%nl%USNAME^%nl%PASSWORD^%nl%cd /notetab/html^%nl%ascii^%nl%put ^##^%nl%quit^%nl%
        ^!Set %Command%=c:\Windows\ftp.exe -s:^$GetScriptPath$NoteTab.stp
        ^!Set %Output%=^$GetOutput("^%Command%")$
        ^!^%Output%
        ^!Wait
        ^!Toolbar New Document
        ^!InsertText ^%Output%

        ; The last three lines are optional and it could or should work like this:

        H=/notetab/html 2
        ; long line till ^!C:\...
        ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$NoteTab.stp" open ftp.sureword.com^%nl%USNAME^%nl%PASSWORD^%nl%cd /notetab/html^%nl%ascii^%nl%put ^##^%nl%quit^%nl%
        ^!c:\windows\ftp.exe -s:^$GetScriptPath$NoteTab.stp

        You might have to use ^$GetShort(^##)$ in the scripts. I did not test it fully.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7 2:20 AM
          Jody

          Thumbs up! The clip below works on my computer.

          > You might have to use ^$GetShort(^##)$ in the scripts. I did not test it
          fully.

          Yes, I did need it as per the clip below. put ^## ,due to long filename
          with spaces, was indeed a problem evidently only for the ftp command line.

          BTW the ftp.exe -s stuff did not work on my computer.

          So it seems easier for me for the time being to use farclip (so no mods are
          needed to Ntab's FTP clip library) then I just choose the Ftpupcdtrpd.scr
          file.

          NoteTab.stp works fine too. Doesn't seem to matter whether .stp or .scr
          file extension.

          Note: In the following clip, because it contains put ^## , the first long
          line is commented out. The 2nd long line is the active line with: put
          ^$GetShort(^##)$

          ---------> clip begins next line <-----------
          H="JA ftpup Cur Doc"
          ; long line till next long line marker
          ;^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$Ftpupcdtrpd.scr" open
          ftp.tripod.com^%nl%USNAME^%nl%PASSWORD^%nl%ascii^%nl%put ^##^%nl%
          ; long line till ^!FarClip
          ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$Ftpupcdtrpd.scr" open
          ftp.tripod.com^%nl%USNAME^%nl%PASSWORD^%nl%ascii^%nl%put
          ^$GetShort(^##)$^%nl%disconnect^%nl%quit^%nl%
          ^!FarClip FTP:Run FTP program
          ---------> clip ends previous line <-----------

          BTW I tested the clip a lot, using different current document filenames.
          The contents of the file Ftpupcdtrpd.scr are replaced each time is what
          happens. Therefore, the currently focused document always gets its (short
          path version) filename into Ftpupcdtrpd.scr

          Cool. Now I can be a lazy man at the wheel. Just click on somethin and off
          goes my current document off to the virtual (no its probably real) place out
          there.

          I appreciate. Thanks. bye for now. Alan.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7 3:32 AM
            Hi Alan,

            >BTW the ftp.exe -s stuff did not work on my computer.

            It should. Maybe the Clip got messed up.

            > NoteTab.stp works fine too. Doesn't seem to matter whether
            > .stp or .scr file extension.

            No, it doesn't - any or no extension will work as long as Notetab
            knows where to get the file.

            >ftp.tripod.com^%nl%USNAME^%nl%PASSWORD^%nl%ascii^%nl%put

            You forgot to change the USNAME and PW. <g>

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7 9:06 AM
              Jody

              > to change the USNAME and PW. <g>

              Oh, I had my own user name and password in there and almost sent it like
              that. At the last moment prior to sending I noticed then, unknown as to
              why, nonetheless changed those 2 portions back to the way I had received
              them.

              I'll try the ftp.exe -s stuff again probably later today. Currently I have
              other obligations.

              I keep learning more about building clips. Now, sometimes (more often than
              before) when I study a clip I can realize what the clip does.

              On that note, I just looked at the clip entitled "Save FTP Document" located
              in the FTP clip library which comes with NoteTab 482. And then I quickly
              tried it to discover that it "(upload) saves" the current document,
              precisely the task I had set out to accomplish. At end of its run it gives
              choice whether to place in recycle bin or not.

              Well, since I did not until now know of that clip's purpose or its
              existence, I probably came up with a variation on it. I'll compare the two
              later. BTW it probably is good it all happened like it did. Thus I got
              that much more schooling in clip building practice. Its the hands on stuff
              that's the most fun as well as I learn a lot from it for me sometimes.

              Thanks. Alan.
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7 9:42 PM
                Hi Alan,

                > On that note, I just looked at the clip entitled "Save FTP
                > Document" located in the FTP clip library which comes with
                > NoteTab 482. And then I quickly tried it to discover that it
                > "(upload) saves" the current document, precisely the task I had
                > set out to accomplish. At end of its run it gives choice
                > whether to place in recycle bin or not.

                Yes, that is where I found out the format needed for the script.
                I don't like the name of it though. I'm glad it is one we can
                change. ;)

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8 7:59 AM
                  Hi Jody

                  > I'm glad it is one we can
                  > change. ;)

                  I have more familiarity with being named something like "FtpUp Curr Doc"
                  rather than the name it currently comes with. Yes, good to note we can
                  personalize this item name.
                  ----------> <----------
                  ----------> <----------
                  First of all, did I miss something/anything would there even be a need to do
                  the following?

                  I may experiment with trying to configure for multiple ftp sites. I have 4
                  different sites, 3 of which I infrequently upload files to.

                  What I think *might* be the easiest approach for me:

                  1. Open Ntab 482"s FTP.clb as a document in NoteTab

                  2. Do file save as FTP_trpod.clb Do another save as FTP_jps.clb
                  Change the file attributes to "hidden" on these 2 newly created

                  3. Maybe then could "ftp configure" each according to/for each individual
                  upload site.

                  4. In a favorite (not hidden library) use farclip or something to that
                  effect so as to call/launch clips from the new hidden ftp clip libraries.
                  Also from same favorite library, have only 1 wizard that would pop up (act
                  as a quick chooser to choose from) such following type of items: which ftp
                  site; upload curr doc ascii; upload local dir\*.* ascii; upload local
                  dir\*.* binary; upload to remote ftp site root dir; upload to remote ftp
                  site images dir

                  Whadaya think? Is it feaseable or might another approach be easier?

                  I wonder if there are any .ctb files associated with FTP.clb or anything
                  else that might have to be duplicated in like manner to the duplication of
                  the library files themselves, saved as another filename?

                  Right now, I counted 45 .clb in my Ntab's library folder. Is there a limit?
                  Am I getting too many libraries?

                  Alan.
                • Michael Brock
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8 8:38 AM
                    On a slightly related note...this thread has gotten me to look into ftp clip
                    library. I really like it! Loads of potential there. However, I did some
                    testing and can't figure out how to keep the DOS window open. For example,
                    I created a little test script which does nothing but get a directory
                    listing. It works perfectly, but there is no way I can look at the
                    directory in the 2 seconds the window is open!

                    Michael

                    Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
                    pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@.... Visit us at
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/4358/6/_/2798/_/960476192/
                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 8 10:02 AM
                      Michael Brock

                      > I created a little test script which does nothing but get a directory
                      > listing. It works perfectly, but there is no way I can look at the
                      > directory in the 2 seconds the window is open!

                      From what i can see, FTP.clb is designed to do its tasks silently or in the
                      background so to speak then close when it is done.

                      Nonetheless, One way I found to do what you want:

                      1. created a script which all it does is open my ftp site. since there are
                      no commands in the script to do anything else, the DOS ftp window stays open
                      while connected to your ftp site.

                      2. example of a script (.scr) I made:

                      open ftp.tripod.com
                      user name
                      password

                      3. to create such script, launch "Create FTP script" in FTP clip library,
                      type in the items from #2 above. It opens as .scr in NoteTab, note that it
                      has "quit" command that you will need to edit out or remove--> the only
                      commands you want are just like in the 3 lines from my example above in #2

                      4. save this script file with a unique name

                      5. launch the clip "Run FTP Program" in FTP clip library, choose your script
                      from #4 above which only opens your ftp site (the open command is what
                      connects to as far as your remote ftp site is concerned).

                      Alan.
                    • Michael Brock
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 8 10:20 AM
                        Alan,

                        Removing the quit command from the ftp script did the trick, thanks. Do you,
                        or anyone else out there, know of a resource on line to explain all of these
                        FTP Script Commands?

                        Thanks

                        > I created a little test script which does nothing but get a directory
                        > listing. It works perfectly, but there is no way I can look at the
                        > directory in the 2 seconds the window is open!

                        >From what i can see, FTP.clb is designed to do its tasks silently or in the
                        background so to speak then close when it is done.

                        Nonetheless, One way I found to do what you want:

                        1. created a script which all it does is open my ftp site. since there are
                        no commands in the script to do anything else, the DOS ftp window stays open
                        while connected to your ftp site.

                        2. example of a script (.scr) I made:

                        open ftp.tripod.com
                        user name
                        password

                        3. to create such script, launch "Create FTP script" in FTP clip library,
                        type in the items from #2 above. It opens as .scr in NoteTab, note that it
                        has "quit" command that you will need to edit out or remove--> the only
                        commands you want are just like in the 3 lines from my example above in #2

                        4. save this script file with a unique name

                        5. launch the clip "Run FTP Program" in FTP clip library, choose your script
                        from #4 above which only opens your ftp site (the open command is what
                        connects to as far as your remote ftp site is concerned).

                        Alan.

                        Wrox Wireless Developer Conference, Amsterdam, July 10-12. Choose from
                        40+ technical sessions covering application of WAP, XML, ASP, Java and
                        C++ to mobile computing. Early Bird registration - save £200 NOW!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/4855/6/_/2798/_/960483576/
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8 2:04 PM
                          Hi Alan,

                          > 1. Open Ntab 482"s FTP.clb as a document in NoteTab
                          >
                          > 2. Do file save as FTP_trpod.clb Do another save as
                          > FTP_jps.clb Change the file attributes to "hidden" on these 2
                          > newly created

                          Why don't you put them all in one Library? You could build the
                          one clickers for each and put them on a Clipbar for the focused
                          file and perhaps have a wizard for each site with a browse button
                          for a file. You could have another like that for a directory of
                          files.

                          > I wonder if there are any .ctb files associated with FTP.clb or
                          > anything else that might have to be duplicated in like manner
                          > to the duplication of the library files themselves, saved as
                          > another filename?

                          Charles Raines told me on ICQ a few weeks back he was going to
                          make a Library for ftp.exe. No, there are no NoteTab Clipbars
                          for it.

                          > Right now, I counted 45 .clb in my Ntab's library folder. Is
                          > there a limit? Am I getting too many libraries?

                          No, but the more you have displaying the more memory it will
                          take. If you have them hidden it should not make any difference.
                          I have Clipbar buttons to hide/unhide and load my frequently used.

                          I also use my FtpZip Library for uploading and have buttons on my
                          main Clipbar for it as well. I don't use ftp.exe for my
                          uploading and downloading.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8 2:09 PM
                            Hi Michael,

                            > Do you, or anyone else out there, know of a resource on line to
                            > explain all of these FTP Script Commands?

                            Try this:

                            Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
                            My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com
                            (See for outline of FTP commands)

                            You might also search eGroups in ntb-Clips for the Subject of:

                            Additional Clips for new FTP library in NoteTab 4.8

                            Also by:
                            Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...

                            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8 2:29 PM
                              Michael,

                              I have an outline of FTP commands, see below for my personal
                              web site address.

                              Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
                              http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8 6:27 PM
                                Larry,

                                Yes, Jody lead me to it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

                                Michael

                                I have an outline of FTP commands, see below for my personal
                                web site address.

                                On 8 Jun 2000, at 13:20, Michael Brock wrote:

                                > Alan,
                                >
                                > Removing the quit command from the ftp script did the trick, thanks.
                                > Do you, or anyone else out there, know of a resource on line to
                                > explain all of these FTP Script Commands?
                                >
                                > Thanks

                                IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at
                                http://click.egroups.com/1/3381/6/_/2798/_/960499893/
                              • Michael Brock
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 8 6:28 PM
                                  Larry,

                                  Yes, Jody sent me to it. It is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 8 7:22 PM
                                    Hi Michael,

                                    > Yes, Jody sent me to it. It is exactly what I was looking for.
                                    > Thanks!

                                    Please delete all the text from your replies that is not needed
                                    to understand your post. Thanks!!!

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 9 6:26 AM
                                      Hi MIchael,

                                      On 8 Jun 2000, Michael wrote:

                                      > Yes, Jody sent me to it. It is exactly what I was looking for.
                                      > Thanks!

                                      Glad it helped.

                                      I sent my message before Jody did, but mine had some lag time.

                                      Maybe Jody is using fast electrons. ;-)