Re: [Clip] Remove numbers from a document

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
      Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

      >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
      >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
      >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
      >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
      >
      >Caret (^)
      >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
      >
      >Dollar sign ($)
      >Matches at the end of a line only.

      Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
      They match a zero-character wide space before the
      first character in the line.

      >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
      >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
      >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
      >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
      >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

      ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
      how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
      given regular expression.

      >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
      >with a space after it/them.

      Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
      expression also matches any space that begins a line.

      >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
      >space before it/them.

      Yes.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
        Hi Wayne,

        Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

        >> "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
        >> with a space after it/them.
        >
        > Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
        > expression also matches any space that begins a line.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
          Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
          >Hi Wayne,
          >
          >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

          I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
          things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
          and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
          portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
          the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
          Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
          .otl format.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
            Hi Wayne,

            > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
            > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
            > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
            > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
            > functions still lack cross-references.

            OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
            sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
            hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

            > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
            > format.

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...
            mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
          • PatHanneman
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
              Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
              in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

              >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
              >
              > ^ => Beginning of a line
              > \D* => Any number of non-digits
              > \d+ => One or more digits
              > \. => A literal period
              > => A Space

              Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

              while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

              H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
              ;begin long line
              ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
              ;end long line
              ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
              ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
              ^!SetScreenUpdate ON