Re: [Clip] Remove numbers from a document

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
      Hi Wayne,

      >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
      >beginning or end of a line.

      >Caret (^)
      >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
      >
      >Dollar sign ($)
      >Matches at the end of a line only.

      Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
      line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
      with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
      to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
      out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

      "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
      with a space after it/them.

      " \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
      space before it/them.

      nite...

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
        Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

        >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
        >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
        >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
        >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
        >
        >Caret (^)
        >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
        >
        >Dollar sign ($)
        >Matches at the end of a line only.

        Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
        They match a zero-character wide space before the
        first character in the line.

        >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
        >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
        >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
        >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
        >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

        ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
        how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
        given regular expression.

        >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
        >with a space after it/them.

        Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
        expression also matches any space that begins a line.

        >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
        >space before it/them.

        Yes.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
          Hi Wayne,

          Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

          >> "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
          >> with a space after it/them.
          >
          > Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
          > expression also matches any space that begins a line.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
          mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
            Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
            >Hi Wayne,
            >
            >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

            I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
            things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
            and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
            portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
            the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
            Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
            .otl format.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
              Hi Wayne,

              > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
              > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
              > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
              > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
              > functions still lack cross-references.

              OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
              sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
              hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

              > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
              > format.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
              mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
            • PatHanneman
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
                in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

                >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
                >
                > ^ => Beginning of a line
                > \D* => Any number of non-digits
                > \d+ => One or more digits
                > \. => A literal period
                > => A Space

                Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

                while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

                H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
                ;begin long line
                ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
                ;end long line
                ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
                ^!SetScreenUpdate ON