Re: [Clip] Remove numbers from a document

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
      Hi Wayne,

      >>^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR
      >
      >I suspect you want:
      >
      >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

      This is it. You gave me what I needed to figure it out. Your's
      was still spanning to a number.space if it was on a line that did
      not start with a digit which wouldn't have mattered in my case, but
      this one won't do that.

      ^!Find "^\d*\. " SR

      All I wanted was to get numbered lines. ;) Now I can put it
      into a replace all clip and strip line numbers out all at once
      without having to loop using a...

      Find ". "
      Jump +1

      ...routine. :)

      ^!Replace "^\d*\. " >> "" SAWR

      I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
      beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
      head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
      locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>

      Caret (^)
      Matches at the beginning of a line only.

      Dollar sign ($)
      Matches at the end of a line only.

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
        Hi Wayne,

        >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
        >beginning or end of a line.

        >Caret (^)
        >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
        >
        >Dollar sign ($)
        >Matches at the end of a line only.

        Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
        line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
        with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
        to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
        out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

        "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
        with a space after it/them.

        " \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
        space before it/them.

        nite...

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
          Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

          >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
          >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
          >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
          >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
          >
          >Caret (^)
          >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
          >
          >Dollar sign ($)
          >Matches at the end of a line only.

          Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
          They match a zero-character wide space before the
          first character in the line.

          >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
          >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
          >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
          >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
          >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

          ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
          how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
          given regular expression.

          >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
          >with a space after it/them.

          Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
          expression also matches any space that begins a line.

          >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
          >space before it/them.

          Yes.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
            Hi Wayne,

            Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
              Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
              >Hi Wayne,
              >
              >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

              I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
              things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
              and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
              portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
              the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
              Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
              .otl format.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                Hi Wayne,

                > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
                > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
                > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
                > functions still lack cross-references.

                OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
                sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
                hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

                > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
                > format.

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
              • PatHanneman
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
                  in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

                  >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
                  >
                  > ^ => Beginning of a line
                  > \D* => Any number of non-digits
                  > \d+ => One or more digits
                  > \. => A literal period
                  > => A Space

                  Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

                  while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

                  H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
                  ;begin long line
                  ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
                  ;end long line
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                  ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate ON