Re: [Clip] Remove numbers from a document

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
      Hi Wayne

      How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
      of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
      find 1a2b3c.Space as well.

      ^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

      1. aaa
      2. bbb
      3. ccc 4. ddd
      10. eee
      100. fff

      nite...

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
        Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
        >Hi Wayne
        >
        >How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
        >of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
        >find 1a2b3c.Space as well.
        >
        >^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

        I suspect you want:

        ^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

        ^ => Beginning of a line
        \D* => Any number of non-digits
        \d+ => One or more digits
        \. => A literal period
        => A Space

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
          Hi Wayne,

          >>^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR
          >
          >I suspect you want:
          >
          >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

          This is it. You gave me what I needed to figure it out. Your's
          was still spanning to a number.space if it was on a line that did
          not start with a digit which wouldn't have mattered in my case, but
          this one won't do that.

          ^!Find "^\d*\. " SR

          All I wanted was to get numbered lines. ;) Now I can put it
          into a replace all clip and strip line numbers out all at once
          without having to loop using a...

          Find ". "
          Jump +1

          ...routine. :)

          ^!Replace "^\d*\. " >> "" SAWR

          I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
          beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
          head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
          locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>

          Caret (^)
          Matches at the beginning of a line only.

          Dollar sign ($)
          Matches at the end of a line only.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
            Hi Wayne,

            >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
            >beginning or end of a line.

            >Caret (^)
            >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
            >
            >Dollar sign ($)
            >Matches at the end of a line only.

            Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
            line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
            with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
            to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
            out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

            "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
            with a space after it/them.

            " \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
            space before it/them.

            nite...

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
              Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

              >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
              >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
              >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
              >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
              >
              >Caret (^)
              >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
              >
              >Dollar sign ($)
              >Matches at the end of a line only.

              Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
              They match a zero-character wide space before the
              first character in the line.

              >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
              >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
              >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
              >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
              >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

              ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
              how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
              given regular expression.

              >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
              >with a space after it/them.

              Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
              expression also matches any space that begins a line.

              >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
              >space before it/them.

              Yes.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                Hi Wayne,

                Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                  Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
                  >Hi Wayne,
                  >
                  >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                  I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                  things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
                  and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
                  portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
                  the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
                  Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
                  .otl format.

                  --
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                    Hi Wayne,

                    > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                    > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
                    > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
                    > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
                    > functions still lack cross-references.

                    OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
                    sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
                    hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

                    > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
                    > format.

                    Thanks!
                    Jody

                    Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                    mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                  • PatHanneman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                      Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
                      in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

                      >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
                      >
                      > ^ => Beginning of a line
                      > \D* => Any number of non-digits
                      > \d+ => One or more digits
                      > \. => A literal period
                      > => A Space

                      Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

                      while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

                      H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
                      ;begin long line
                      ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
                      ;end long line
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                      ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate ON