Re: [Clip] Remove numbers from a document

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
      "Howard " <malkah@...> wrote:

      >Please help me out by sending me a clip that allows me to remove
      >numbers from a document.

      H="Remove Numbers"
      ;Delete Arabic Numbers
      ^!Replace "[0-9]+ ?" >> "" WASHER
      ;Delete Roman Numerals
      ^!Replace "(m)*(cm|cd|d)?(c)*(xc|xl|l)?(x)*(ix|iv|v)?(i)* ?" >> "" WCHAIR

      You probably will need to modify the clip to fit your exact needs.
      (I included the Roman numerals as a bonus, but you'll probably want
      to take that part out.)

      The regular expression I used was: [0-9]+ ?
      It finds one or more digits, possibly followed by a space.

      ===

      ^!Replace "SearchText" >> "ReplaceText" [Options TCIBGWHRSA]

      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences. When this option is not
      used, only the first match is replaced.

      T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
      within longer words).

      C: Searches for whole words only.

      I: Ignores character case.

      B: Searches backwards.

      G: Global scope; searches through all the open documents.

      W: Searches through the whole document (not just from the cursor
      position).

      H: Only searches within selection if text is highlighted (setting
      ignored if no text selected).

      R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular
      expression [Regular Expressions].

      S: Silent search. NoteTab will not display any message box.

      E: Their is no E option, I was demonstrating that you can
      add unused letters in order to spell words from the options.
      (Of course the clip may do unexpected things if a future
      version of NoteTab adds the letter as an option.)

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
        Hi Wayne

        How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
        of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
        find 1a2b3c.Space as well.

        ^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

        1. aaa
        2. bbb
        3. ccc 4. ddd
        10. eee
        100. fff

        nite...

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
          Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
          >Hi Wayne
          >
          >How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
          >of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
          >find 1a2b3c.Space as well.
          >
          >^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

          I suspect you want:

          ^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

          ^ => Beginning of a line
          \D* => Any number of non-digits
          \d+ => One or more digits
          \. => A literal period
          => A Space

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
            Hi Wayne,

            >>^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR
            >
            >I suspect you want:
            >
            >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

            This is it. You gave me what I needed to figure it out. Your's
            was still spanning to a number.space if it was on a line that did
            not start with a digit which wouldn't have mattered in my case, but
            this one won't do that.

            ^!Find "^\d*\. " SR

            All I wanted was to get numbered lines. ;) Now I can put it
            into a replace all clip and strip line numbers out all at once
            without having to loop using a...

            Find ". "
            Jump +1

            ...routine. :)

            ^!Replace "^\d*\. " >> "" SAWR

            I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
            beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
            head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
            locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>

            Caret (^)
            Matches at the beginning of a line only.

            Dollar sign ($)
            Matches at the end of a line only.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
              Hi Wayne,

              >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
              >beginning or end of a line.

              >Caret (^)
              >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
              >
              >Dollar sign ($)
              >Matches at the end of a line only.

              Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
              line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
              with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
              to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
              out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

              "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
              with a space after it/them.

              " \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
              space before it/them.

              nite...

              Bye for now,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
              http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab
            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

                >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
                >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
                >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
                >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
                >
                >Caret (^)
                >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
                >
                >Dollar sign ($)
                >Matches at the end of a line only.

                Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
                They match a zero-character wide space before the
                first character in the line.

                >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
                >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
                >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
                >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
                >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

                ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
                how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
                given regular expression.

                >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
                >with a space after it/them.

                Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
                expression also matches any space that begins a line.

                >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
                >space before it/them.

                Yes.

                --
                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Hi Wayne,

                  Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                    Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
                    >Hi Wayne,
                    >
                    >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                    I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                    things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
                    and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
                    portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
                    the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
                    Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
                    .otl format.

                    --
                    Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                      Hi Wayne,

                      > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                      > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
                      > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
                      > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
                      > functions still lack cross-references.

                      OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
                      sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
                      hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

                      > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
                      > format.

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                    • PatHanneman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                        Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
                        in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

                        >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
                        >
                        > ^ => Beginning of a line
                        > \D* => Any number of non-digits
                        > \d+ => One or more digits
                        > \. => A literal period
                        > => A Space

                        Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

                        while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

                        H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
                        ;begin long line
                        ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
                        ;end long line
                        ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                        ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
                        ^!SetScreenUpdate ON