Remove numbers from a document

  • Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2000
      Please help me out by sending me a clip that allows me to remove
      numbers from a document. Thank you, Howard.
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
        "Howard " <malkah@...> wrote:

        >Please help me out by sending me a clip that allows me to remove
        >numbers from a document.

        H="Remove Numbers"
        ;Delete Arabic Numbers
        ^!Replace "[0-9]+ ?" >> "" WASHER
        ;Delete Roman Numerals
        ^!Replace "(m)*(cm|cd|d)?(c)*(xc|xl|l)?(x)*(ix|iv|v)?(i)* ?" >> "" WCHAIR

        You probably will need to modify the clip to fit your exact needs.
        (I included the Roman numerals as a bonus, but you'll probably want
        to take that part out.)

        The regular expression I used was: [0-9]+ ?
        It finds one or more digits, possibly followed by a space.

        ===

        ^!Replace "SearchText" >> "ReplaceText" [Options TCIBGWHRSA]

        A: Use to replace all matched occurrences. When this option is not
        used, only the first match is replaced.

        T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
        within longer words).

        C: Searches for whole words only.

        I: Ignores character case.

        B: Searches backwards.

        G: Global scope; searches through all the open documents.

        W: Searches through the whole document (not just from the cursor
        position).

        H: Only searches within selection if text is highlighted (setting
        ignored if no text selected).

        R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular
        expression [Regular Expressions].

        S: Silent search. NoteTab will not display any message box.

        E: Their is no E option, I was demonstrating that you can
        add unused letters in order to spell words from the options.
        (Of course the clip may do unexpected things if a future
        version of NoteTab adds the letter as an option.)

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2000
          Hi Wayne

          How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
          of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
          find 1a2b3c.Space as well.

          ^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

          1. aaa
          2. bbb
          3. ccc 4. ddd
          10. eee
          100. fff

          nite...

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
          mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
            Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
            >Hi Wayne
            >
            >How do I make the thing stop after the first Number(s).Space instead
            >of extending out to the next one like in 3.4.? I realize the will
            >find 1a2b3c.Space as well.
            >
            >^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR

            I suspect you want:

            ^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

            ^ => Beginning of a line
            \D* => Any number of non-digits
            \d+ => One or more digits
            \. => A literal period
            => A Space

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
              Hi Wayne,

              >>^!Find "\n.*\d\.\s" SR
              >
              >I suspect you want:
              >
              >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR

              This is it. You gave me what I needed to figure it out. Your's
              was still spanning to a number.space if it was on a line that did
              not start with a digit which wouldn't have mattered in my case, but
              this one won't do that.

              ^!Find "^\d*\. " SR

              All I wanted was to get numbered lines. ;) Now I can put it
              into a replace all clip and strip line numbers out all at once
              without having to loop using a...

              Find ". "
              Jump +1

              ...routine. :)

              ^!Replace "^\d*\. " >> "" SAWR

              I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
              beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
              head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
              locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>

              Caret (^)
              Matches at the beginning of a line only.

              Dollar sign ($)
              Matches at the end of a line only.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                Hi Wayne,

                >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
                >beginning or end of a line.

                >Caret (^)
                >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
                >
                >Dollar sign ($)
                >Matches at the end of a line only.

                Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
                line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
                with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
                to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
                out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

                "^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
                with a space after it/them.

                " \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
                space before it/them.

                nite...

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:

                  >I find "^" and "$" very confusing. Matches *what* *at* the
                  >beginning or end of a line. The statements go right over my
                  >head without any meaning whatsoever. I'm pretty good at
                  >locking NoteTab up using them and "+" though. <bg>
                  >
                  >Caret (^)
                  >Matches at the beginning of a line only.
                  >
                  >Dollar sign ($)
                  >Matches at the end of a line only.

                  Technically, ^ and $ are called zero-width assertions.
                  They match a zero-character wide space before the
                  first character in the line.

                  >Is that as simple as "^" matches *starting at the beginning of
                  >line out through whatever the search criteria is? And likewise
                  >with "$" that it matches starting at the end of a line back in
                  >to whatever the search criteria is. If so, I made a mountain
                  >out of a molehill trying to figure it out. :0

                  ^ does not match any characters at all. It simply indicates
                  how the beginning of the line relates to the rest of the
                  given regular expression.

                  >"^\d* " any digit(s) starting at the beginning of a line
                  >with a space after it/them.

                  Yes. Realize that since \d* can match zero digits, this
                  expression also matches any space that begins a line.

                  >" \d*$" any amount of digits at the end of a line with a
                  >space before it/them.

                  Yes.

                  --
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Hi Wayne,

                    Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                      Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
                      >Hi Wayne,
                      >
                      >Thanks! Any word on "Wayne's Cross Reference 4.82" yet? :)

                      I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                      things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down
                      and finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix
                      portions as I find problems. But currently, most of
                      the newer commands and functions still lack cross-references.
                      Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in
                      .otl format.

                      --
                      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2000
                        Hi Wayne,

                        > I've worked on it bit by bit. I still have so many other
                        > things going on that I haven't had a day to just sit down and
                        > finish it. I use it for reference myself, and fix portions as
                        > I find problems. But currently, most of the newer commands and
                        > functions still lack cross-references.

                        OK, thanks! Did you get my latest update? I don't remember if I
                        sent it. It had all the IsNumber IsAplha and all those
                        hyperlinked to each other - about 15-20 jumps.

                        > Also I have a simple copy of the entire 4.82 Help file in.otl
                        > format.

                        Thanks!
                        Jody

                        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                      • PatHanneman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                          Long time ago .... (06/05/2000), Wayne wrote:
                          in re removing paragraph numbers from a document....

                          >^!Find "^\D*\d+\. " SR
                          >
                          > ^ => Beginning of a line
                          > \D* => Any number of non-digits
                          > \d+ => One or more digits
                          > \. => A literal period
                          > => A Space

                          Is there a way to replace the number with a ^P

                          while using a ^!Replace, regular expression command? in one step like this?

                          H="replace paragraph numbers - test"
                          ;begin long line
                          ^!Continue This clip removes paragraph numbers and ^%NL%separates paragraphs with a blank line. OK to continue?
                          ;end long line
                          ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                          ^!Replace "^\d+\. " >> ^p SHRA
                          ^!SetScreenUpdate ON