Get DiskFile Lines clip questions

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hello Jody,

      I just snatched a copy of your Get DiskFile Lines clip. I thought it would
      be an easy way to compare the different meta tags in different html files.
      In eager anticipation I fired it up, but it's telling me that "there was no
      matching criteria for <!DOCTYPE in the directory I searched (which contains
      at least fifteen files that have DOCTYPE on their first lines.
      I'm searching for *.htm files on line 1, DOCTYPE case sensitive set off (why
      is default on?) and have tried both Same and Different (I'm not sure I
      understand what these do).

      1) Any ideas here?

      2) would it be easy to modify the clip to search the whole file for a
      string, rather than specific lines (ie have an ALL LINES option under
      lines?)

      3) Could you document what your clip options do, preferably by including
      examples? It makes learning so much easier, although I know that documenting
      code is not much fun to do. It's also good to document a couple of examples
      of what the clip could be used for.

      thanks,

      Jonathan Woodbridge
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000
        Hi Jonathan,

        > I just snatched a copy of your Get DiskFile Lines clip. I
        > thought it would be an easy way to compare the different meta
        > tags in different html files. In eager anticipation I fired it
        > up, but it's telling me that "there was no matching criteria
        > for <!DOCTYPE in the directory I searched

        Don't ask. <g> It should be working now. MeThinks I was too
        drunk on coffee or, OH, I bet it was my script and I used <
        instead of > in the conversion so when the script got to:

        ^!Inc %Index%
        ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% ShowTime

        It actually changed it to:

        ^!If ^%Index% < ^%Count% ShowTime

        If you change the one sign in your script it should work as long
        as you did not use Opera to get it.

        and obviously thought it was done when in fact it hadn't even
        started. <g> I had made a new wizard that automates the stuff
        for Snatch-A-Clip a bit better that the way I was doing it and...

        It appears I am going to have to put in regular HTML instead of
        wrapping the Clips in <PRE> because Opera wraps lines if there is
        a blank line. I don't want to cram it all together either. I
        did change it though for now. I will have to modify the near 30
        Clips I have up there.

        > 2) would it be easy to modify the clip to search the whole file
        > for a string, rather than specific lines (ie have an ALL LINES
        > option under lines?)

        Why not use Search Disk. I had though about what you are saying
        though. I don't know if I can be able to tell when it has
        finished searching a file though. I haven't looked into it that
        deep. BTW, I just found out that if there is certain Clip code
        in the disk file searched it will fail. I search all over my
        current Library I was testing in for that Clip. <bg>

        > 3) Could you document what your clip options do, preferably by
        > including examples? It makes learning so much easier, although
        > I know that documenting code is not much fun to do.

        I do a lot of that kind of stuff in my Libraries, but not on
        Snatch-A-Clip. I did not do it in this one though in my DirStuff
        and in fact did not even update the info that it was even there.
        :) I really dread doing that kind of stuff. I guess I figured
        that one was self-explanatory which you might think so too now
        that it is working.

        I don't know why I made the default as case sensitive other than
        I was drunk on coffee at dark-thirty am and it looked good at
        that time. ;) I changed the default to non-case sensitive for you.

        Thanks for letting me know. Not to many people take the time out
        to do that.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...