Re: [Clip] Sorts

  • RS
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2000
      Hi Ron,

      At 05:13 PM 05/30/00 -0400, you wrote:

      >I am writing a clip to archive my e-bay auctions. At present, I have them
      >sorted by auction nr. I would like to be able to select various variables
      >and have the list resort in case I need to find a username or e-mail
      >address. Is this possible?

      At least in theory...

      If you are using Tab separated fields, leave an empty field at the
      beginning of each line. This field should be as large as the largest entry
      in any of the other fields, and to that effect you'll need to fill it with
      something (spaces might not work). For example let's say you have this entry:

      Jane Doe Jane@... 0003

      It needs to be:

      ******************** Jane Doe Jane@... 0003

      (Note that the asterisks in the first field cover 20 spaces which is the
      size of the address, but they should be more if there's a bigger address in
      any other line.)

      When sorting by address, replace the first 20 characters (20 in this
      example) with the address, and then do a sort.

      To sort by name, you place the name at the beginning followed by as many
      asterisks needed to fill up to the 20th position. Thus

      ******************** Jane Doe Jane@... 0003

      becomes:

      Jane Doe************ Jane Doe Jane@... 0003

      Then you can sort.

      You can use the Field commands:
      ^$GetField
      ^$GetPosInField
      ^!SetDelimiter

      and to sort use:
      ^$StrSort
      ^!Toolbar Sort Ascending
      ^!Toolbar Sort Descending

      To retrieve the document use any of the Document commands, like GetText and
      others [you can get a bigger list of commands available using the Command
      Lookup wizard (F12) in ClipWriter].

      The clip might turn out to be a little slow since there will be a lot of
      processing to do. (A more practical approach for what you have in mind is
      to use a spreadsheet like Quattro or Excel, where you can sort by any field
      with a couple clicks.) But if you decide to go ahead and make the clip, it
      might be something worth seeing -- post it!

      HTH

      Regards,

      RS

      ClipWriter 2.12 -- Millennium Edition

      http://home.att.net/~ptools/ClipWriter/cw.htm

      The easiest way to program NoteTab, and
      ...a powerful tool for Clip professionals!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2 2:01 AM
        Hi Ronald,

        > I am writing a clip to archive my e-bay auctions. At present,
        > I have them sorted by auction nr. I would like to be able to
        > select various variables and have the list resort in case I
        > need to find a username or e-mail address. Is this possible?

        Look in my NoteBlock and there is a Clip that will reorder
        delimited fields. I need to do some more work to is because it
        leaves extra delimiters out at the right of each line if all 8
        (?) fields are not used. Anyway, you can have say field number 4
        moved to field number one and the do a Sort with NoteTab's tool.
        It does not alter the original at all and makes a new doc.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab/html/library.html

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2 5:11 AM
          Hi Ronald,

          > I have them sorted by auction nr. I would like to be able to
          > select various variables and have the list resort in case I
          > need to find a username or e-mail address. Is this possible?

          Look in my NoteBlock and there is a Clip that will reorder
          delimited fields.

          All fixed now and better than before. If you don't use a field
          in the wizard it will not be added to the output. In other
          words, if you have 6 fields in a tab delimited file and really
          only want four of them, but also reorder you might make it field:
          2, 4, 1, 3 omitting 5 and 6 from the out output. I did not make
          an option for it to sort, but maybe I will add that now. :) I
          leave it as a surprise if I do. Read the ReadMe above "ReOrder
          Fields be a longer explanation. (The extra delimiters are no
          longer inserted at the end of the line.)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/noteblock.zip