Re: [Clip] need: clip to selectively replace a character in selected section

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...> wrote:

      >It takes one line of text (the line your cursor is in) and does the
      >following:
      >1. finds the first and last quote in the line
      >2. highlights all text inside the quotes, including all interior quotes
      >3. replaces all interior quotes with a backslash and quote
      >
      >This is important for working in perl (I often code perl to generate html
      >output), but I see significant other possibilities for the process.

      Well, your Perl code will then be infected with what is called,
      "leaning toothpick syndrome". Cures do exist for it.

      Which of the following examples is easier to read?

      print "<font face=\"arial\" color=\"red\">red arial output</font>";

      print qq{<font face="arial" color="red">red arial output</font>};

      Both do the same thing, assuming you are using Perl 5 or better,
      which most people are, as it's been out for a long time.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen