Re: [Clip] Basic Clip Basics

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 1:40 AM
      Hi Jody, Stephen, and Jim,

      >The Editor Clipbook tool is often referred to as just Clipbook.

      At first, I called the Clipbook just that when it was first developed. But
      when I noticed that some people confused it with the Windows NT Clipbook
      utility (a more sophisticated Clipboard), I decided to refer to is as
      "Editor Clipbook" to distinguish it from the "Windows Clipbook".

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.81 available from

    • Len
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 9:59 AM
        Hi Jody, All;

        Sorry about that. I was mislead by the fact that the
        Libraries folder contained files with the .clb extension
        which I assumed was an acronym for Clipbook but I see now
        that it probably stands for Clip Library. Also Libraries
        usually contain books rather than visa versa. :))

        Hey Eric, you might want to reconsider the terminology for
        the gold version. I think "Clip" is a somewhat mundane term
        for a programing language with this much power, however not
        as bad as Gwak. :))

        Enjoy, Len

        At 10:18 PM 04/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Len,
        >
        > > Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook also called Library.
        >
        >I do not believe those are interchangeable Len. The Clipbook is
        >
        >Happy Clip'n!
        >Jody

        Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
        Avionics Systems Engineer
        E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 10:03 AM
          Hi Stephen,

          >> If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
          >> should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
          >> Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)
          >
          > Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips
          > in it (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous
          > with 'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the
          > clips that are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips
          > themselves get edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

          OK, how about this? In itself, the Clipbook is a book cover, the
          shell that wraps a book whether it is paperback, hardback,
          plastic, etc. You can see the "shell" if you move all the
          Libraries out of the Libraries folder (when NoteTab is closed).
          A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
          without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
          has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
          box field, the small upper window. The combo box is nothing more
          than the Library index contained in a window pane which is in
          alphabetical order.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
        • rellieb-steve
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 2:25 PM
            > A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
            > without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
            > has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
            > box field, the small upper window.

            Yes, and what is being displayed in the clip list is a library of
            clips, not a 'book' of clips. :-/ (Clipbook??) Otherwise, let us
            call libraries 'books' and be done with it. (*.book instead of *.clb)

            So then: here is how I see it (re terminology).

            F4 opens the Library Tool. Note: the Library Tool doesn't need to
            display any libraries to open as a library tool.

            Shift-Ctrl-E opens the Clip Editor.

            [ And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical interest
            only, re development of NTP, as Eric set out both to mess to people
            heads via terminology, and to create a very fine program. :-| ]

            --
            Stephen
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1 4:34 PM
              Hi Stephen,

              > And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical
              > interest only,

              I can't imagine NoteTab without the Clipbook. Your line
              there even brought a sadness about me. :(

              There would be so much work to do at this stage also, hundreds
              and hundreds of sites and reviews would be obsolete. I just
              can't image NoteTab without *thee* Clipbook.

              (I do think you had some good terminology though FWIW.)