Re: [Clip] Basic Clip Basics

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 1:40 AM
      Hi Jody, Stephen, and Jim,

      >The Editor Clipbook tool is often referred to as just Clipbook.

      At first, I called the Clipbook just that when it was first developed. But
      when I noticed that some people confused it with the Windows NT Clipbook
      utility (a more sophisticated Clipboard), I decided to refer to is as
      "Editor Clipbook" to distinguish it from the "Windows Clipbook".

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.81 available from

    • rellieb-steve
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 4:48 AM
        Jody wrote:

        > If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
        > should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
        > Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)

        Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips in it
        (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous with
        'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the clips that
        are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips themselves get
        edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

        - so I don't see the purpose of calling it a Clipbook Editor if it is
        merely a library editor? That is, what is the point of having both
        terms - library and clipbook - if in some ordinary logical sense they
        end up meaning the same. The only difference is that one term
        [Clipbook] is given uppercase chosen to prefix the word Editor,

        and this Editor is visualized within the domain of the 'tool' (again,
        'Clipbook tool') within which these libraries/clipbooks are being
        edited.

        It is as though it is considered completely coincidental and not
        relevant that the clips are bundled into libraries, and yet it is
        actually the libraries that are being edited in the "Clipbook Editor".
        Why even call them Clipbook libraries? They are more realistically
        called clip libraries.

        So to sum up, I assert the term Clipbook in its association with the
        word Editor should be hereby purged from the annuals of this
        illustrious list; even the term *Clipbook tool*, should be changed to
        *Clip tool*.

        --
        Stephen
      • Len
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 9:59 AM
          Hi Jody, All;

          Sorry about that. I was mislead by the fact that the
          Libraries folder contained files with the .clb extension
          which I assumed was an acronym for Clipbook but I see now
          that it probably stands for Clip Library. Also Libraries
          usually contain books rather than visa versa. :))

          Hey Eric, you might want to reconsider the terminology for
          the gold version. I think "Clip" is a somewhat mundane term
          for a programing language with this much power, however not
          as bad as Gwak. :))

          Enjoy, Len

          At 10:18 PM 04/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Len,
          >
          > > Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook also called Library.
          >
          >I do not believe those are interchangeable Len. The Clipbook is
          >
          >Happy Clip'n!
          >Jody

          Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
          Avionics Systems Engineer
          E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 10:03 AM
            Hi Stephen,

            >> If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
            >> should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
            >> Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)
            >
            > Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips
            > in it (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous
            > with 'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the
            > clips that are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips
            > themselves get edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

            OK, how about this? In itself, the Clipbook is a book cover, the
            shell that wraps a book whether it is paperback, hardback,
            plastic, etc. You can see the "shell" if you move all the
            Libraries out of the Libraries folder (when NoteTab is closed).
            A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
            without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
            has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
            box field, the small upper window. The combo box is nothing more
            than the Library index contained in a window pane which is in
            alphabetical order.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
          • rellieb-steve
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1 2:25 PM
              > A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
              > without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
              > has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
              > box field, the small upper window.

              Yes, and what is being displayed in the clip list is a library of
              clips, not a 'book' of clips. :-/ (Clipbook??) Otherwise, let us
              call libraries 'books' and be done with it. (*.book instead of *.clb)

              So then: here is how I see it (re terminology).

              F4 opens the Library Tool. Note: the Library Tool doesn't need to
              display any libraries to open as a library tool.

              Shift-Ctrl-E opens the Clip Editor.

              [ And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical interest
              only, re development of NTP, as Eric set out both to mess to people
              heads via terminology, and to create a very fine program. :-| ]

              --
              Stephen
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1 4:34 PM
                Hi Stephen,

                > And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical
                > interest only,

                I can't imagine NoteTab without the Clipbook. Your line
                there even brought a sadness about me. :(

                There would be so much work to do at this stage also, hundreds
                and hundreds of sites and reviews would be obsolete. I just
                can't image NoteTab without *thee* Clipbook.

                (I do think you had some good terminology though FWIW.)