Re: [Clip] Basic Clip Basics

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 11:32 PM
      Hi Harvey and Alan,

      > If you need a correlation couldn't it be said; the libraries
      > directory represents an entire library, the clipbooks represent
      > individual books, clips represent the chapters within the book?

      Not really, because you are using Clipbooks, as in plural. I
      understand where Alan is coming from though. If you try to
      relate NoteTab to a physical Library, it will not make sense,
      because Libraries and book are backwards with the two.

      You just need to remember the hierarchy and amount:

      Clipbook (only one)
      Libraries (one or more)
      Clips (one or more)
      Lines in a Clip (one or more)

      If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
      should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
      Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)

      If you move all your Libraries out of the Libraries folder you
      can still open the Clipbook, but there are no Libraries to open
      in it. Therefore, the Clipbook is not a Library and visa versa.
      You cannot open more than one Clipbook, so there is only one
      Clipbook. You can activate more than one Library, but just not
      at the same time.
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2000
        Hi Jody, Stephen, and Jim,

        >The Editor Clipbook tool is often referred to as just Clipbook.

        At first, I called the Clipbook just that when it was first developed. But
        when I noticed that some people confused it with the Windows NT Clipbook
        utility (a more sophisticated Clipboard), I decided to refer to is as
        "Editor Clipbook" to distinguish it from the "Windows Clipbook".

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        NoteTab v4.81 available from

      • rellieb-steve
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2000
          Jody wrote:

          > If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
          > should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
          > Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)

          Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips in it
          (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous with
          'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the clips that
          are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips themselves get
          edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

          - so I don't see the purpose of calling it a Clipbook Editor if it is
          merely a library editor? That is, what is the point of having both
          terms - library and clipbook - if in some ordinary logical sense they
          end up meaning the same. The only difference is that one term
          [Clipbook] is given uppercase chosen to prefix the word Editor,

          and this Editor is visualized within the domain of the 'tool' (again,
          'Clipbook tool') within which these libraries/clipbooks are being
          edited.

          It is as though it is considered completely coincidental and not
          relevant that the clips are bundled into libraries, and yet it is
          actually the libraries that are being edited in the "Clipbook Editor".
          Why even call them Clipbook libraries? They are more realistically
          called clip libraries.

          So to sum up, I assert the term Clipbook in its association with the
          word Editor should be hereby purged from the annuals of this
          illustrious list; even the term *Clipbook tool*, should be changed to
          *Clip tool*.

          --
          Stephen
        • Len
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2000
            Hi Jody, All;

            Sorry about that. I was mislead by the fact that the
            Libraries folder contained files with the .clb extension
            which I assumed was an acronym for Clipbook but I see now
            that it probably stands for Clip Library. Also Libraries
            usually contain books rather than visa versa. :))

            Hey Eric, you might want to reconsider the terminology for
            the gold version. I think "Clip" is a somewhat mundane term
            for a programing language with this much power, however not
            as bad as Gwak. :))

            Enjoy, Len

            At 10:18 PM 04/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi Len,
            >
            > > Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook also called Library.
            >
            >I do not believe those are interchangeable Len. The Clipbook is
            >
            >Happy Clip'n!
            >Jody

            Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
            Avionics Systems Engineer
            E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2000
              Hi Stephen,

              >> If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
              >> should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
              >> Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)
              >
              > Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips
              > in it (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous
              > with 'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the
              > clips that are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips
              > themselves get edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

              OK, how about this? In itself, the Clipbook is a book cover, the
              shell that wraps a book whether it is paperback, hardback,
              plastic, etc. You can see the "shell" if you move all the
              Libraries out of the Libraries folder (when NoteTab is closed).
              A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
              without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
              has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
              box field, the small upper window. The combo box is nothing more
              than the Library index contained in a window pane which is in
              alphabetical order.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
            • rellieb-steve
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                > A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
                > without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
                > has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
                > box field, the small upper window.

                Yes, and what is being displayed in the clip list is a library of
                clips, not a 'book' of clips. :-/ (Clipbook??) Otherwise, let us
                call libraries 'books' and be done with it. (*.book instead of *.clb)

                So then: here is how I see it (re terminology).

                F4 opens the Library Tool. Note: the Library Tool doesn't need to
                display any libraries to open as a library tool.

                Shift-Ctrl-E opens the Clip Editor.

                [ And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical interest
                only, re development of NTP, as Eric set out both to mess to people
                heads via terminology, and to create a very fine program. :-| ]

                --
                Stephen
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                  Hi Stephen,

                  > And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical
                  > interest only,

                  I can't imagine NoteTab without the Clipbook. Your line
                  there even brought a sadness about me. :(

                  There would be so much work to do at this stage also, hundreds
                  and hundreds of sites and reviews would be obsolete. I just
                  can't image NoteTab without *thee* Clipbook.

                  (I do think you had some good terminology though FWIW.)