Re: [Clip] Clips in NT Lite

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2000
      Hi Eb,

      At 12:43 PM 04/27/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi all,
      >
      >Here's some user feedback on writing clips for NoteTab,
      >version 4.8, all models:
      >

      >I read in "What's New" file for NT Lite ver 4.8
      >
      > * NoteTab Light now supports the full Clip language.
      >
      >So ..
      >
      > I took a library written for NT Pro and tried to run
      > it in NT Lite.
      >
      >Didn't work. Obviously SOME clip commands are NOT supported.
      >
      > So what does "full Clip language" mean?
      > What does it NOT include? Where do I find this documented?
      > Did I miss a section in Help that documents the commands not
      > included in "full Clip language"?

      I can only answer this a little. NoteTab Lite will not be able to run any
      commands that execute or change features that are only available in NoteTab
      Pro.

      Example:

      ^!AddHeading "HeadingName" NoteTab Lite will not allow your to edit
      outline documents. You can only view them.

      ^!OpenClipbar Name NoteTab Lite does not support the clipbar so none of
      the clipbar commands will work with it.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Wren McMains
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2000
        Hi Eb,

        > * NoteTab Light now supports the full Clip language.
        > So .. I took a library written for NT Pro and tried to run
        > it in NT Lite.
        >
        > Didn't work. Obviously SOME clip commands are NOT supported.

        I think that means the language itself is supported, but it would
        seem obvious that if some function isn't supported by a product
        then it's not going to work when called by command from a clip.

        -Wren
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2000
          (I did not see this message reach the list so I'm sending it again. Sorry
          if it is a duplicate)

          Hi Eb,

          >Here's some user feedback on writing clips for NoteTab,
          >version 4.8, all models:
          >
          >I read in "What's New" file for NT Lite ver 4.8
          >
          > * NoteTab Light now supports the full Clip language.
          >
          >So ..
          >
          > I took a library written for NT Pro and tried to run
          > it in NT Lite.
          >
          >Didn't work. Obviously SOME clip commands are NOT supported.

          This may be due to differences in the behavior of the input controls
          (Orpheus versus Rich-Edit). Normally, any Clip that works in NoteTab Std
          should work in NoteTab Light, unless it tries to access features that are
          not available in the free version (e.g. Clipbar commands). Could you tell
          us which command failed in the Clip you tested?

          Regards,
          Eric Fookes
          -----------
          NoteTab v4.81 available from

        • RS
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            At 09:32 AM 04/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi RS,
            >
            >You need to update the Help file.
            >Search for "is only available" and you will find a number of them
            >still there.

            I already updated the others. The only place I still have the "is only
            available" is for ^$StrFormat:

            "^$StrFormat
            "This command is only available in the commercial and trial versions of
            NoteTab."

            Will "^$StrFormat" work in NoteTab Lite?

            Regards,

            RS

            ClipWriter 2.0 -- Millennium Edition

            A Pre-Release trial version is now available from:

            http://home.att.net/~ptools/ClipWriter/cw.htm

            *** The release will be May 1, 2000 ***

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2000
              Hi RS,

              > I already updated the others. The only place I still have the
              > "is only available" is for ^$StrFormat:
              >
              >"^$StrFormat
              > "This command is only available in the commercial and trial
              > versions of NoteTab."
              >
              > Will "^$StrFormat" work in NoteTab Lite?

              I would think so, but it doesn't. It works in Standard. I think
              the problem there might be that Standard does not have the
              Reformat tool and perhaps Eric uses the same code for that. I
              personally think since Light does not have that tool, then
              neither should it have the function, but that defeats one of
              Eric's reasons for allowing Light to have all the code which was
              to make it compatible with all Clips.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
            • Eb Guenther
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2000
                Hi Eric, RS, Jody, Larry (hope I got everybody),

                Thanks for all your contributions.

                It turns out that the "OnClipboardChange" event does
                not work, as the documentation for it clearly states.

                > >Here's some user feedback on writing clips for NoteTab,
                > >version 4.8, all models:
                > >
                > >I read in "What's New" file for NT Lite ver 4.8
                > >
                > > * NoteTab Light now supports the full Clip language.
                > >
                > >So ..
                > >
                > > I took a library written for NT Pro and tried to run
                > > it in NT Lite.
                > >
                > >Didn't work. Obviously SOME clip commands are NOT supported.
                >
                >This may be due to differences in the behavior of the input controls
                >(Orpheus versus Rich-Edit). Normally, any Clip that works in NoteTab Std
                >should work in NoteTab Light, unless it tries to access features that are
                >not available in the free version (e.g. Clipbar commands). Could you tell
                >us which command failed in the Clip you tested?

                Cheers,

                Eb
              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2000
                  Hi Eb,

                  >It turns out that the "OnClipboardChange" event does
                  >not work, as the documentation for it clearly states.

                  You're right. My mistake. This feature will be enabled in the Light version
                  in the next update...

                  Regards,
                  Eric Fookes
                  NoteTab v4.81 available from