Basic Clip Basics

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21, 2000
      Hi All,

      From TabLine 2000 - The NoteTab Mystery Channel

      "In the Beginning"
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      "CLIPS" Message 2647

      Charles A. Brannon Wrote:

      >I am interested in your development of the Clipbook idea.
      >What inspired you? Were there specific people, books, or programs
      >that led to this form of embedded scripting language?

      Eric G.V. Fookes Replied:

      >It's a long story. I suppose I got some of the inspiration from a
      >graphics program called Visio. It uses a palette of reusable images
      >that can be dragged into the drawing area. I thought this approach
      >would be very good for text... and the Editor Clipbook was born <g>.

      BASIC CLIP BASICS

      By

      Jim Hall

      With Credits to
      Lotta Roos, Larry Thomas and Jody Adair

      The "Editor Clipbook" is a Dedicated Window (Viewing Pane) in NoteTab
      which can be toggled on and off with the F4 function key and may be
      Docked on the left or right side of the NoteTab Display Window (default
      is left side and when toggled it Swaps places with the Quick List
      Window).

      The "Editor Clipbar" is a Toolbar form of the "Editor Clipbook Window"
      that can be toggled on and off using the VIEW|CLIPBAR Menu.

      "Clips" are Text Segments of varying format which are stored in
      "Clipbook Libraries" (CLIPBOOKLIBRARYNAME.CLB) and are automatically
      found by NoteTab when the Library file is placed in the
      NOTETAB/LIBRARIES Folder.

      A Clip's format is recognized by NoteTab and when a Clip is selected by
      Clicking on it can cause NoteTab to perform any of various functions
      based on the format of the Clip.

      The individual Clip Headers of a Selected "Clipbook Library File" are
      displayed in the "Editor Clipbook" Window.

      Shortcuts to the individual Clips in a "Clipbook Library File" can be
      defined in a "Clip Toolbar Library File" (CLIPTOOLBARLIBRARYNAME.CTB)
      The individual Clip Shortcut Icons of a Selected "Clip Toolbar Library
      File" are displayed in the "Editor Clipbar".

      Clips can be called by other clips, and using the ^!Farclip command,
      clips can be called from Libraries which are not open and are located in
      remote folders not automatically found by NoteTab.

      In the Editor Clipbook:
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      The "ClipBook Header" (Informational Note) form of a "Clip" is denoted
      by being Highlighted in the Header Color, set in OPTIONS|CLIPBOOK TAB
      (Default = Red} and when clicked on they can cause NoteTab to open up an
      Information Note Box in the Editing Window if The Clip is formatted to
      do so. If not formatted to do so then NoteTab does nothing when they are
      selected and they simply serve as Clipbook Comments, Organizational
      Headings/Separators, or if no text is specified they simply serve as a
      blank line in the Editor Clipbook window display. NoteTab recognizes a
      Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is preceded by a
      Semicolon.

      The "Insert Text Segment" (Rubber Stamp) form of a "Clip" is denoted by
      the "Dot" Bullet and when clicked on will cause NoteTab to directly
      insert a predefined text string into the document currently open in the
      Editing Window at the current cursor position. Repetitive Text can be
      typed once and pasted many times (like using a rubber stamp).

      The "Insert Text Segment and Position Cursor" (HTML Comment Formatting)
      form of a "Clip" is denoted by the "Plus Sign" Bullet and when clicked
      on will Cause NoteTab to either directly insert a predefined text string
      into the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current
      cursor position and then reposition the cursor for adding additional
      text, or open a Wizard Box in which the additional text can be specified
      and then insert the predefined text and the additional text into the
      document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor
      position. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip
      contains a line which contains the two-letter Command Code "^&" and has
      no lines begining with the two-letter Command Code "^!".

      The "Executable" (Macro/Script) form of a "Clip" is denoted by an
      "Exclamation Mark" Bullet and when clicked on will Cause NoteTab to
      perform any or all of a multitude of functions which can be defined
      using the "Clip Programming Language" set of Commands. NoteTab
      recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip contains a line
      which begins with the two-letter Command Code "^!".

      The "Disabled" (Conditionally Executed by NoteTab) form of a "Clip" is
      denoted by being Grayed Out and when clicked on causes NoteTab to do
      nothing. NoteTab independently executes this form of Clip when a defined
      set of conditions are met or when an expected event occurs. NoteTab
      recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is preceded
      by an Underscore.

      In the Editor Clipbar:
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      Shortcuts to Clips are identified by default Icons automatically defined
      by NoteTab or by Custom Icons defined by the User. Individual Clip
      Formats are not automatically denoted as they are in the Editor
      Clipbook.

      New Clip Libraries can be created from the TOOLS|CLIPBOOK Menu or
      through any number of creative means of Copying, Pasting, or Renaming.

      Clips can be added to Clip libraries from the Clipbook Pop Up menu
      (right click in Clipbook Window), from the TOOLS|CLIPBOOK Menu, or
      through standard Copy & Paste techniques with the .CLB files. (If you
      drag and drop a .CLB file onto NoteTab it will open in the Document
      Editor Window in the same fashion as any other text file.) Clips can be
      copied from posts or other documents to the Windows Clipboard and Added
      to existing libraries using the "Add from Clipboard" Command found in
      both of the above mentioned menus.

      New Clips Can be created in various different ways. Clips can be
      composed in the editing window, highlighted and "Copied to the Clipbook"
      from the Editor Pop Up menu (right click in Editor Window). New Clips
      can be added using either of the above mentioned Clipbook menus which
      will create a new empty Clip and open it in the Clip Editor for
      composing.

      Clips can be edited by highlighting them in the Clipbook and selecting
      "Edit Clip" from the Clipbook Pop Up menu (right click in Clipbook
      Window). This will open the Clip Editor with the highlighted Clip open
      and ready for editing. In this mode, clicking on another clip will cause
      it to be the open clip in the Clip Editor. The open Clip in the Clip
      Editor can be saved or closed in the same fashion as any other document.

      Clips which have been edited must be saved before they can be executed
      and a Clip can not be run while the Clip Editor is active. The focus
      must be changed to an open document in the document Editor Window.

      Since Clips have been written by NoteTab users for several years, there
      are many hundreds already in existence which are available for the
      taking and can be used as samples or as is or can be edited slightly to
      meet your specific needs. You can find many of the Clip Repositories and
      links to others at:

      http://www.notetab.com/libraries.htm

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab/

      http://home.att.net/~ptools/main/index.htm

      The Clip Programming Language, though NoteTab unique to make it easy to
      learn and use, follows standard programming conventions, and is
      extremely powerful and versatile.

      To learn more about Clips and the Clip Programming Language, open the
      Editor Clipbook with F4, select the Sample Code Library, highlight any
      Clip Header and select "Edit Clip" from the Clipbook Pop Up menu (right
      click in Clipbook Window) see what a clip looks like. Then simply select
      another Clip Header and you will be able to view that Clip. Experiment
      with the Clips that have meaning to you.
      When you are finished looking around right click on the Editing Window
      and select "Close Document.

      Then to complete the experience go to HELP|HELP TOPICS|INDEX TAB and
      type in the word "Clip". Now commit to memory everything that begins
      with the word Clip and you will have become the new "Clip Guru".

      Put this newfound knowledge to work for you and in no time you too will
      be saying "Oh what the heck, I think I'll just write a clip for that".

      Regards,

      Jim Hall
    • rellieb-steve
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
        On Fri 21 Apr, Jim wrote:

        > BASIC CLIP BASICS

        > By

        > Jim Hall

        > With Credits to
        > Lotta Roos, Larry Thomas and Jody Adair

        > The "Editor Clipbook" is a Dedicated Window (Viewing Pane) in NoteTab
        > which can be toggled on and off with the F4 function key and may be
        > Docked on the left or right side of the NoteTab Display Window (default
        > is left side and when toggled it Swaps places with the Quick List
        > Window).

        I think "Editor Clipbook" (as defined above) is misleading
        terminology, or at least it conflicts with the NTP help file. What be
        spoken of above as an editor is actually the Clipbook Window (aka
        Clipbook), and not the Editor which is not opened by F4.

        The help file reads:

        Each item is stored in a Clipbook library and is identified by a
        header which is displayed in the Clipbook window. ..... <snip>

        **the easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
        library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
        typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab will
        ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer yes, it
        will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook list
        window will be empty at this stage. Next, open the Clipbook shortcut
        menu by clicking in the empty list window with the right mouse button.
        Choose the Add New Clip command. This opens the "Clipbook Item Editor"
        dialog box. Type a name for your first Clip and press Enter or click
        on the OK button. This will add the new item to the list and open the
        Clip editor.**

        --
        Stephen
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
          Stephen,

          One of the headings in Help:
          "Use the Editor Clipbook"

          My English isn't good enough for this, but isn't Editor Clipbook the same as Editor's Clipbook, i.e. Note Tab's Clipbook, which is not the same as Clipbook Editor?

          Don't ask me - I only got the credit :)

          Lotta
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
            Hi Stephen and Jim,

            >> The "Editor Clipbook" is a Dedicated Window (Viewing Pane) in
            >> NoteTab which can be toggled on and off with the F4 function
            >> key...

            > I think "Editor Clipbook" (as defined above) is misleading
            > terminology, or at least it conflicts with the NTP help file.
            > What be spoken of above as an editor is actually the Clipbook
            > Window (aka Clipbook), and not the Editor which is not opened
            > by F4.
            >
            > ...This opens the "Clipbook Item Editor" dialog box. Type a
            > name for your first Clip and press Enter or click on the OK
            > button. This will add the new item to the list and open the
            > Clip editor.**

            Jim used the term correctly. I think you are confusing the
            Clipbook Editor with the Clip Editor. One has "book" in it and
            the other doesn't. I took the following from different places in
            Help, but this clearly points out there is a difference. Notice
            how Clipbook Editor and Clipbook are used interchangeably and
            also even defined as such.

            One of the most original features, which NoteTab was the first to
            implement, is the Editor Clipbook. This is a flexible tool for
            handling text clips,...

            The Editor Clipbook tool is often referred to as just Clipbook.

            The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
            and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0.

            Use the Editor Clipbook
            You can think of the Clipbook as a visible clipboard with
            multiple text items that can be pasted in any document.

            Clip Editor
            Shows the content of currently selected Clipbook item in the clip
            editor ([Clip] document tab). Note that you cannot use the
            Clipbook to paste or launch Clips when the Clip editor is the
            active document.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
          • Len
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
              Hello All;

              There seems to be some confusion as to the correct terminology
              for the Libraries, Clipbooks, Clips and Editors.

              Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook
              also called Library.

              The Clipbook (or Library) contains Clips (written in the clip language)
              also sometimes called scripts.

              Editor (NT) Clipbook Window = narrow, screen hight window on the
              left (default position) of the Editor (NT) main window.
              could also be called the Clips Window.

              Libraries Window = small window at the top of the Clipbook (or Clips) window.
              could also be called the Clipbook Window.

              Clipbook (or Library) Editor = right click the Clipbook (or Library)
              shown in the Libraries (or Clipbook) Window to open and edit the
              Clipbook (or Library) in the Editor (NT) main window.

              Clips Editor = right click on a Clip (or Script) name in the Clipbook
              (or Clips) window to open and edit the Clip (or Script) commands
              list in the Editor (NT) main window.

              Hope this clarifies the terminology, Cheers, Len
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                Hi Len,

                > Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook also called Library.

                I do not believe those are interchangeable Len. The Clipbook is
                the means to display Libraries, or Clipbook Libraries, but is not
                *a* Library. I don't think you will find anywhere in Help where
                the Clipbook is referred to as a Library. You will however read
                "Clipbook library" repeatedly through Help. We would not load a
                Clipbook into the Clipbook or load a Library into a Library.
                There is one Clipbook, but many Libraries. Here are a few places
                from Help:

                Each item is stored in a Clipbook library and is identified by a
                header which is displayed in the Clipbook window.

                ...you can use the "Install Libraries" Clip in the Utilities
                library (click on the button labeled "Utilities" at the bottom of
                the NoteTab window to open it in the Clipbook).

                · Ctrl+Shift+C adds text selected in the document to the current
                Clipbook library.

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                  Jody
                  > There is one Clipbook, but many Libraries.

                  I understand it, have it straight now. No problem.

                  But for the longest time when I was learning it, I found it rather
                  confusing. I would have to rethink it several times or more. The term
                  "book" is something that often is found in a (public) library. Before Ntab
                  came along, I used to think of books being stored in libraries, not the
                  other way around.

                  But I 'spose instead of libraries, to call it something like clip chapters
                  (chapters stored in a book --hehe) (individual clips stored in a chapter),
                  would not do it either due to confusion. Irregardless, ain't NoteTab so
                  great!!!

                  Alan.
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                    Hi,

                    If you need a correlation couldn't it be said; the libraries
                    directory represents an entire library, the clipbooks represent
                    individual books, clips represent the chapters within the book?
                    Not too confusing that way.

                    hrs

                    --
                    ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                    ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                      Hi Harvey and Alan,

                      > If you need a correlation couldn't it be said; the libraries
                      > directory represents an entire library, the clipbooks represent
                      > individual books, clips represent the chapters within the book?

                      Not really, because you are using Clipbooks, as in plural. I
                      understand where Alan is coming from though. If you try to
                      relate NoteTab to a physical Library, it will not make sense,
                      because Libraries and book are backwards with the two.

                      You just need to remember the hierarchy and amount:

                      Clipbook (only one)
                      Libraries (one or more)
                      Clips (one or more)
                      Lines in a Clip (one or more)

                      If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
                      should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
                      Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)

                      If you move all your Libraries out of the Libraries folder you
                      can still open the Clipbook, but there are no Libraries to open
                      in it. Therefore, the Clipbook is not a Library and visa versa.
                      You cannot open more than one Clipbook, so there is only one
                      Clipbook. You can activate more than one Library, but just not
                      at the same time.
                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                        Hi Jody, Stephen, and Jim,

                        >The Editor Clipbook tool is often referred to as just Clipbook.

                        At first, I called the Clipbook just that when it was first developed. But
                        when I noticed that some people confused it with the Windows NT Clipbook
                        utility (a more sophisticated Clipboard), I decided to refer to is as
                        "Editor Clipbook" to distinguish it from the "Windows Clipbook".

                        Regards,
                        Eric Fookes
                        -----------
                        NoteTab v4.81 available from

                      • rellieb-steve
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                          Jody wrote:

                          > If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
                          > should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
                          > Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)

                          Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips in it
                          (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous with
                          'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the clips that
                          are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips themselves get
                          edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

                          - so I don't see the purpose of calling it a Clipbook Editor if it is
                          merely a library editor? That is, what is the point of having both
                          terms - library and clipbook - if in some ordinary logical sense they
                          end up meaning the same. The only difference is that one term
                          [Clipbook] is given uppercase chosen to prefix the word Editor,

                          and this Editor is visualized within the domain of the 'tool' (again,
                          'Clipbook tool') within which these libraries/clipbooks are being
                          edited.

                          It is as though it is considered completely coincidental and not
                          relevant that the clips are bundled into libraries, and yet it is
                          actually the libraries that are being edited in the "Clipbook Editor".
                          Why even call them Clipbook libraries? They are more realistically
                          called clip libraries.

                          So to sum up, I assert the term Clipbook in its association with the
                          word Editor should be hereby purged from the annuals of this
                          illustrious list; even the term *Clipbook tool*, should be changed to
                          *Clip tool*.

                          --
                          Stephen
                        • Len
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                            Hi Jody, All;

                            Sorry about that. I was mislead by the fact that the
                            Libraries folder contained files with the .clb extension
                            which I assumed was an acronym for Clipbook but I see now
                            that it probably stands for Clip Library. Also Libraries
                            usually contain books rather than visa versa. :))

                            Hey Eric, you might want to reconsider the terminology for
                            the gold version. I think "Clip" is a somewhat mundane term
                            for a programing language with this much power, however not
                            as bad as Gwak. :))

                            Enjoy, Len

                            At 10:18 PM 04/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                            >Hi Len,
                            >
                            > > Editor Clipbook = NoteTab (NT) Clipbook also called Library.
                            >
                            >I do not believe those are interchangeable Len. The Clipbook is
                            >
                            >Happy Clip'n!
                            >Jody

                            Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                            Avionics Systems Engineer
                            E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                              Hi Stephen,

                              >> If you can remember there is only one Clipbook, then the rest
                              >> should fall in place. The Clipbook allows access to Clips via
                              >> Libraries so it is a book with many Clips in it. ;)
                              >
                              > Yes, but each of the Libraries is also a book with many Clips
                              > in it (thus naturally people think of 'library' as synonymous
                              > with 'clipbook'); and isn't it more the libraries and not the
                              > clips that are edited in the "Clipbook Editor"; (as the clips
                              > themselves get edited in the Clip Editor Shift-Ctrl-E)

                              OK, how about this? In itself, the Clipbook is a book cover, the
                              shell that wraps a book whether it is paperback, hardback,
                              plastic, etc. You can see the "shell" if you move all the
                              Libraries out of the Libraries folder (when NoteTab is closed).
                              A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
                              without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
                              has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
                              box field, the small upper window. The combo box is nothing more
                              than the Library index contained in a window pane which is in
                              alphabetical order.

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                                > A Library is a collection of Clips. By itself, it is a book
                                > without a cover. Once it is activated in the Clipbook, it now
                                > has a cover with its name or title of the Library in the combo
                                > box field, the small upper window.

                                Yes, and what is being displayed in the clip list is a library of
                                clips, not a 'book' of clips. :-/ (Clipbook??) Otherwise, let us
                                call libraries 'books' and be done with it. (*.book instead of *.clb)

                                So then: here is how I see it (re terminology).

                                F4 opens the Library Tool. Note: the Library Tool doesn't need to
                                display any libraries to open as a library tool.

                                Shift-Ctrl-E opens the Clip Editor.

                                [ And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical interest
                                only, re development of NTP, as Eric set out both to mess to people
                                heads via terminology, and to create a very fine program. :-| ]

                                --
                                Stephen
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 1, 2000
                                  Hi Stephen,

                                  > And the term 'ClipBook' is resigned to be of historical
                                  > interest only,

                                  I can't imagine NoteTab without the Clipbook. Your line
                                  there even brought a sadness about me. :(

                                  There would be so much work to do at this stage also, hundreds
                                  and hundreds of sites and reviews would be obsolete. I just
                                  can't image NoteTab without *thee* Clipbook.

                                  (I do think you had some good terminology though FWIW.)