[Clip] clip to transpose two letters

  • PatHanneman
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5 3:09 PM
      Does anyone have a clip to transpose two letters when selected?

      thanks

      health-e-cooking!
      Pat Hanneman http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/
      Home of the Mastercook Resource Network (MC's Rn)
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5 6:06 PM
        PatHanneman <kitpath@...> wrote:
        >Does anyone have a clip to transpose two letters when selected?

        H="Transpose"
        ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;2)$

        But this may be better:

        H="Transpose"
        ^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
        ^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
        ^!Select -^%Size%

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5 6:48 PM
          Hi Wayne,

          H="Transpose"
          ^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
          ^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
          ^!Select -^%Size%

          hahaha - Thanks for the toy! Neat!

          How to keep Jody busy for hours. :) I yours with 10 numbers and
          clicked and clicked watching the numbers chase each other around.
          I was fascinated. <g> I realize it was made for two digits.

          Here's one for more than two. Set up the number in even sets of
          however many you want.

          Not: 123456789
          But: 1234567890

          H=Transpose2
          ^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
          ; long line
          ^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";^$Calc(^%Size%/2+1)$;^%Size%)$
          ^!Select -^%Size%

          Thanks Wayne!-)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5 8:05 PM
            Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
            >Hi Wayne,
            >
            >H="Transpose"
            >^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
            >^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
            >^!Select -^%Size%
            >
            >hahaha - Thanks for the toy! Neat!
            >
            >How to keep Jody busy for hours. :) I yours with 10 numbers and
            >clicked and clicked watching the numbers chase each other around.
            >I was fascinated. <g> I realize it was made for two digits.

            Made for two digits? You know me better than that. It was
            intentional that although it works with two characters, that it
            also does someone possibly useful when more than two characters
            are selected. I always try to keep my programs as widely
            applicable as possible.

            I should also mention that my clipbook "NoteAwk" ( which can be
            found at http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html ) contains
            two clips to reverse large amounts of selected text. (One clip
            reverses the text on each line. The other reverses the order
            of selected lines.) It does work for transposing characters,
            although it was designed to be much more powerful than that.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          • PatHanneman
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5 8:16 PM
              At 03/05/2000 , Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:

              > >Does anyone have a clip to transpose two letters when selected?
              >
              >H="Transpose"
              >^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;2)$
              >
              >But this may be better:
              >
              >H="Transpose"
              >^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
              >^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
              >^!Select -^%Size%

              Thank you. Not sure why this works.
              "2" is 2nd position? ...?
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5 8:48 PM
                PatHanneman <kitpath@...> wrote:
                >At 03/05/2000 , Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                >
                >> >Does anyone have a clip to transpose two letters when selected?
                >>
                >>H="Transpose"
                >>^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;2)$
                >>
                >>But this may be better:
                >>
                >>H="Transpose"
                >>^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
                >>^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
                >>^!Select -^%Size%
                >
                >Thank you. Not sure why this works.
                >"2" is 2nd position? ...?

                Yes 2 is 2nd position.

                I was hoping that "how it works" would be self-evident, but
                maybe some of my methods are a bit tricky.

                > H="Transpose"
                > ^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$

                Stores selection size in variable so we can remember it later.
                The clip is designed to work with more than just two characters.

                > ^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$

                I always use InsertText explicitly when the clip contains other clip
                commands. Although just plain:
                ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
                should also work here.

                ^$GetSelection$ used twice gives us (in the clip parser's memory)
                two copies of the selection one after the other. This is how I
                make sure the first character being transposed follows after the
                second. This is simpler than fiddling with individual characters.

                ^$StrCopy("Some text";StartingPosition;Amount)$ copies a portion
                of "Some text". In our case, if the selection was originally two
                characters, and we copy two characters from the 2nd position, we
                get the last character from the first ^$GetSelection$, and the
                first character from the second ^$GetSelection$.

                When more than two characters are selected, the clip causes them
                to be rotated around, the first character moving behind the last
                each time.

                > ^!Select -^%Size%

                This command was added to make sure the text remains selection.
                Since the previous command erased our selection, we needed to
                store its size in a variable so we could remember it. Note that
                after using ^!InsertText, the cursor is at the end of the new
                text. So we use a minus symbol to select the appropriate number
                of character backwards from there.

                --
                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5 8:59 PM
                  Hi Pat,

                  ^!Set Size=^$GetSelSize$
                  ^!InsertText ^$StrCopy("^$GetSelection$^$GetSelection$";2;^%Size%)$
                  ^!Select -^%Size%

                  > Thank you. Not sure why this works.
                  > "2" is 2nd position? ...?

                  Yes. Wayne used ^$GetSelection$ twice for the criteria to copy
                  from. So, if you had 12 it would actually be 1212. He then told
                  it to start at index position 2 and copy the amount of characters
                  equaling selection size. So he was not actually reversing the
                  characters, but just getting the last one in the first
                  ^$GetSelection$ and the first in the second ^$GetSelection$ and
                  that is what was returned. That is why if you used more than two
                  digits the numbers would rotate in the output instead of reverse
                  in say a set of 4 digits selected if you repeatedly clicked on
                  the clip (like me with my new toy). If you do stuff like that
                  often you would probably be better off getting Wayne's NoteAwk.

                  1212
                  1|21|2

                  In the one I did I just took the selection size and divided by 2
                  then added one to do the same thing, but it reverses the
                  characters no matter how long the sets are. I quite don't know
                  why I had to add one to it but I did.

                  This
                  1234567890
                  becomes
                  6789012345

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5 11:03 PM
                    At 03/05/2000 , Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                    >I was hoping that "how it works" would be self-evident, but
                    >maybe some of my methods are a bit tricky.

                    I'm still learning the language of the clip. Thank you, Wayne.

                    pat