[Clip] re: interesting database question

  • Dan Huston
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 2:31 PM
      I use perl to do access various databases through an odbc connection.
      There is a module called win32::odbc that is used for this. It seems
      as though you could write a clip that would access a database, request
      a list of tables, and then format the results into a clip. The
      resultant clip library of tables could then be used to get lists of the
      fields of the tables, like you suggest you want to.

      I think the process would have to be based on some type of iterative,
      interactive process such as this, where the results of one query are
      put into a format from which another query could be based on.

      The part that would be interesting would be that the requests would
      either have to be specific to a database program to utilize the
      powerful utilities and commands that are unique to each package or
      based on SQL-92, in which case some functionality would be lost.

      Just my 2 cents,
      Dan