[Clip] Re: Interesting Database Question

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
      >Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.
      >
      >As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
      >want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
      >database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
      >in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
      >then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
      >proper format.
      >
      >If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
      >for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
      >Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to
      >
      >I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

      I recommend you start by doing as much as you can with Visual Basic.

      After that, we will find a way to launch your visual basic program
      from NoteTab and capture its output to the current document, all in
      one step via a clip.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • Erich Ruff
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

        As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
        want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
        database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
        in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
        then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
        proper format.

        If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
        for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
        Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

        I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

        Thanks again guys.

        Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can write
        Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO, the
        new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from within
        NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
        without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.

        There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
        http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
        with a lot of samples which will get you started.

        Just another possibility

        Erich

        Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951946174/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ntb-clips&m=1
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
          > Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can
          write
          > Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO,
          the
          > new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from
          within
          > NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
          > without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.
          >
          > There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
          > http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
          > with a lot of samples which will get you started.

          Yeah I'm a fan of using WSH from within Notetab cause you can grab the wsh
          output with the ^$GetOutput("Command")$. method. This command has been
          reworked by Eric in ver 4.8 to give even a faster response.

          Try this clip to see what version of wsh(if any) you have installed.

          H=wshVersion
          ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" WScript.Echo(WScript.Version)
          ^!Info ^$GetOutput(cscript "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" file://NoLogo)$

          As Erich suggests using ADO is the way to go however you can use any
          scripting language as seen in the example above and not just vbs with the
          wsh. Once you have created a DSN entry for your database using ADO is not
          that difficult
          Check out this site
          http://www.winscripter.com/
          Which has a section "Samples interacting with ODBC databases". Which will
          give you some idea.
          Remember The Wsh"echo" can be grabbed by notetab with the
          ^$GetOutput("Command")$

          There are some good books on ADO. check out http://www.wrox.com
          You can also get heaps of examples from all those ASP sites out there on how
          to use ADO
          You just need to hack the scripts a bit (note javascript examples below not
          vbs)
          So instead of
          var objRec = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Recordset')
          You will have
          var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
          And of course can hack those ASP Response .Write() methods to the WSH
          equivalent
          WScript.Echo(); methods.

          The best way I have found to work with WSH is Like the Notetab Perl examples
          is to create 2 clips.
          a loader clip and the actual script.
          H=Loader
          ^!Set %js%="ThisScript"
          ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
          ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(^%js%)$
          ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

          H=ThisScript
          file://create an activeX object
          var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
          file://do some thing objRec object
          WScript.Echo("pass results back to Notetab")

          Once the script is debugged and working ok the loder clip can be reduced to

          ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
          ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

          and the
          script clip eliminated from the clip library as its on file in the scripts
          folder.
          Hope this helps.
          WSH is pretty cool and Notetab is a pretty good tool for using WSH.