[Clip] Re: Interesting Database Question

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
      >Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying
      >to create some really complex clips to help in my web application
      >development. If someone could help write this clip I would be very
      >grateful.

      I just had another thought about this.

      I am still not certain what exactly Clint wants to accomplish.
      If it is fairly simple, then I repeat that using a delimited
      text file is very likely the _BEST_ way to go.

      BUT if the task really is complicated, or if the database is
      fairly large, it could be easier and more efficient to write
      a Perl script. In fact, it is very very very likely that a
      module for Activeperl exists that will allow direct access to
      a live MS SQL 7 database. And for large amounts of data,
      Perl is significantly faster than NoteTab's clip language.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • Clint Tredway
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

        As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
        want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
        database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
        in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
        then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
        proper format.

        If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
        for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
        Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

        I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

        Thanks again guys.
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
          Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
          >Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.
          >
          >As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
          >want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
          >database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
          >in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
          >then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
          >proper format.
          >
          >If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
          >for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
          >Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to
          >
          >I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

          I recommend you start by doing as much as you can with Visual Basic.

          After that, we will find a way to launch your visual basic program
          from NoteTab and capture its output to the current document, all in
          one step via a clip.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        • Erich Ruff
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
            Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

            As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
            want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
            database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
            in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
            then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
            proper format.

            If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
            for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
            Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

            I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

            Thanks again guys.

            Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can write
            Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO, the
            new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from within
            NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
            without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.

            There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
            http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
            with a lot of samples which will get you started.

            Just another possibility

            Erich

            Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951946174/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ntb-clips&m=1
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
              > Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can
              write
              > Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO,
              the
              > new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from
              within
              > NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
              > without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.
              >
              > There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
              > http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
              > with a lot of samples which will get you started.

              Yeah I'm a fan of using WSH from within Notetab cause you can grab the wsh
              output with the ^$GetOutput("Command")$. method. This command has been
              reworked by Eric in ver 4.8 to give even a faster response.

              Try this clip to see what version of wsh(if any) you have installed.

              H=wshVersion
              ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" WScript.Echo(WScript.Version)
              ^!Info ^$GetOutput(cscript "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" file://NoLogo)$

              As Erich suggests using ADO is the way to go however you can use any
              scripting language as seen in the example above and not just vbs with the
              wsh. Once you have created a DSN entry for your database using ADO is not
              that difficult
              Check out this site
              http://www.winscripter.com/
              Which has a section "Samples interacting with ODBC databases". Which will
              give you some idea.
              Remember The Wsh"echo" can be grabbed by notetab with the
              ^$GetOutput("Command")$

              There are some good books on ADO. check out http://www.wrox.com
              You can also get heaps of examples from all those ASP sites out there on how
              to use ADO
              You just need to hack the scripts a bit (note javascript examples below not
              vbs)
              So instead of
              var objRec = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Recordset')
              You will have
              var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
              And of course can hack those ASP Response .Write() methods to the WSH
              equivalent
              WScript.Echo(); methods.

              The best way I have found to work with WSH is Like the Notetab Perl examples
              is to create 2 clips.
              a loader clip and the actual script.
              H=Loader
              ^!Set %js%="ThisScript"
              ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
              ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(^%js%)$
              ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

              H=ThisScript
              file://create an activeX object
              var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
              file://do some thing objRec object
              WScript.Echo("pass results back to Notetab")

              Once the script is debugged and working ok the loder clip can be reduced to

              ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
              ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

              and the
              script clip eliminated from the clip library as its on file in the scripts
              folder.
              Hope this helps.
              WSH is pretty cool and Notetab is a pretty good tool for using WSH.