[Clip] Re: Interesting Database Question

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi Clint,

      > Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am
      > trying to create some really complex clips to help in my web
      > application development.

      Try exporting the database as a text delimited file. I am not
      familiar enough with the apps you mention so that is all I can
      offer. then you can use my NoteBlock to extract, reorder, edit
      etc. and then import it back into the other apps. That is, if
      they work that way.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
        >Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying
        >to create some really complex clips to help in my web application
        >development. If someone could help write this clip I would be very
        >grateful.

        I just had another thought about this.

        I am still not certain what exactly Clint wants to accomplish.
        If it is fairly simple, then I repeat that using a delimited
        text file is very likely the _BEST_ way to go.

        BUT if the task really is complicated, or if the database is
        fairly large, it could be easier and more efficient to write
        a Perl script. In fact, it is very very very likely that a
        module for Activeperl exists that will allow direct access to
        a live MS SQL 7 database. And for large amounts of data,
        Perl is significantly faster than NoteTab's clip language.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      • Clint Tredway
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
          Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

          As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
          want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
          database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
          in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
          then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
          proper format.

          If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
          for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
          Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

          I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

          Thanks again guys.
        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
            Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
            >Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.
            >
            >As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
            >want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
            >database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
            >in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
            >then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
            >proper format.
            >
            >If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
            >for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
            >Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to
            >
            >I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

            I recommend you start by doing as much as you can with Visual Basic.

            After that, we will find a way to launch your visual basic program
            from NoteTab and capture its output to the current document, all in
            one step via a clip.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          • Erich Ruff
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
              Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

              As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
              want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
              database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
              in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
              then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
              proper format.

              If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
              for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
              Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

              I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

              Thanks again guys.

              Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can write
              Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO, the
              new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from within
              NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
              without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.

              There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
              http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
              with a lot of samples which will get you started.

              Just another possibility

              Erich

              Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
              http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951946174/

              -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ntb-clips&m=1
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
                > Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can
                write
                > Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO,
                the
                > new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from
                within
                > NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
                > without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.
                >
                > There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
                > http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
                > with a lot of samples which will get you started.

                Yeah I'm a fan of using WSH from within Notetab cause you can grab the wsh
                output with the ^$GetOutput("Command")$. method. This command has been
                reworked by Eric in ver 4.8 to give even a faster response.

                Try this clip to see what version of wsh(if any) you have installed.

                H=wshVersion
                ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" WScript.Echo(WScript.Version)
                ^!Info ^$GetOutput(cscript "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" file://NoLogo)$

                As Erich suggests using ADO is the way to go however you can use any
                scripting language as seen in the example above and not just vbs with the
                wsh. Once you have created a DSN entry for your database using ADO is not
                that difficult
                Check out this site
                http://www.winscripter.com/
                Which has a section "Samples interacting with ODBC databases". Which will
                give you some idea.
                Remember The Wsh"echo" can be grabbed by notetab with the
                ^$GetOutput("Command")$

                There are some good books on ADO. check out http://www.wrox.com
                You can also get heaps of examples from all those ASP sites out there on how
                to use ADO
                You just need to hack the scripts a bit (note javascript examples below not
                vbs)
                So instead of
                var objRec = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Recordset')
                You will have
                var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                And of course can hack those ASP Response .Write() methods to the WSH
                equivalent
                WScript.Echo(); methods.

                The best way I have found to work with WSH is Like the Notetab Perl examples
                is to create 2 clips.
                a loader clip and the actual script.
                H=Loader
                ^!Set %js%="ThisScript"
                ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(^%js%)$
                ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                H=ThisScript
                file://create an activeX object
                var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                file://do some thing objRec object
                WScript.Echo("pass results back to Notetab")

                Once the script is debugged and working ok the loder clip can be reduced to

                ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                and the
                script clip eliminated from the clip library as its on file in the scripts
                folder.
                Hope this helps.
                WSH is pretty cool and Notetab is a pretty good tool for using WSH.