[Clip] Re: Interesting Database Question

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
      >Hi Clint,
      >
      > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
      > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
      > > of a specified table?
      >
      >You might try my NoteBlock on my Libraries page. When you say
      >"table" I don't know if you mean like an HTML table, but I have

      No. Clint was clearly asking about databases. A table
      (a 2 dimensional array of data) is a fundamental concept
      in relational databases.

      The answer depends on the database software in question.
      NoteTab does not have anyway of directly interfacing with
      databases; so I believe the database would have to allow
      queries to be given from the command line (e.g. DOS prompt).

      If I knew what database Clint was using (MS Access maybe?)
      someone could possibly write a command line utility for it,
      if it doesn't have one already. I really need to learn
      more about Access. ;-) I am used to using SQL databases
      from the Linux command line, but have never used Access.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • Clint Tredway
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying to create
        some really complex clips to help in my web application development. If
        someone could help write this clip I would be very grateful

        Thanks

        Clint

        > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
        > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
        > > of a specified table?
        >
        >You might try my NoteBlock on my Libraries page. When you say
        >"table" I don't know if you mean like an HTML table, but I have

        No. Clint was clearly asking about databases. A table
        (a 2 dimensional array of data) is a fundamental concept
        in relational databases.

        The answer depends on the database software in question.
        NoteTab does not have anyway of directly interfacing with
        databases; so I believe the database would have to allow
        queries to be given from the command line (e.g. DOS prompt).

        If I knew what database Clint was using (MS Access maybe?)
        someone could possibly write a command line utility for it,
        if it doesn't have one already. I really need to learn
        more about Access. ;-) I am used to using SQL databases
        from the Linux command line, but have never used Access.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen

        Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951943321/

        -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
        -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ntb-clips&m=1
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
          Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
          >Hi Clint,
          >
          > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
          > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
          > > of a specified table?

          I posted a response earlier, but probably was thinking more
          complicated than you really need.

          If this is a job you only need to do occasionally, and don't
          have to worry about the database being updated during the
          process, you only need to export the table as a tab delimited
          file. Then my clipbook called NoteAwk has some good tools for
          extracting any fields you need from the file.

          (http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html)

          If you need to be able to give the database more advanced queries,
          or work with it "live" (e.g. while it is being modified by other
          programs), then you'll need to find a way to access it via a
          command line.

          If you have specific questions about the process, send me a
          private email. I'll help if I know the answer.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
            Hi Clint,

            > Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am
            > trying to create some really complex clips to help in my web
            > application development.

            Try exporting the database as a text delimited file. I am not
            familiar enough with the apps you mention so that is all I can
            offer. then you can use my NoteBlock to extract, reorder, edit
            etc. and then import it back into the other apps. That is, if
            they work that way.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
              Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
              >Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying
              >to create some really complex clips to help in my web application
              >development. If someone could help write this clip I would be very
              >grateful.

              I just had another thought about this.

              I am still not certain what exactly Clint wants to accomplish.
              If it is fairly simple, then I repeat that using a delimited
              text file is very likely the _BEST_ way to go.

              BUT if the task really is complicated, or if the database is
              fairly large, it could be easier and more efficient to write
              a Perl script. In fact, it is very very very likely that a
              module for Activeperl exists that will allow direct access to
              a live MS SQL 7 database. And for large amounts of data,
              Perl is significantly faster than NoteTab's clip language.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            • Clint Tredway
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

                As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                proper format.

                If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

                I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                Thanks again guys.
              • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                  Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
                  >Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.
                  >
                  >As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                  >want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                  >database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                  >in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                  >then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                  >proper format.
                  >
                  >If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                  >for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                  >Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to
                  >
                  >I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                  I recommend you start by doing as much as you can with Visual Basic.

                  After that, we will find a way to launch your visual basic program
                  from NoteTab and capture its output to the current document, all in
                  one step via a clip.

                  --
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                • Erich Ruff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

                    As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                    want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                    database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                    in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                    then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                    proper format.

                    If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                    for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                    Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

                    I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                    Thanks again guys.

                    Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can write
                    Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO, the
                    new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from within
                    NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
                    without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.

                    There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
                    http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
                    with a lot of samples which will get you started.

                    Just another possibility

                    Erich

                    Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951946174/

                    -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ntb-clips&m=1
                  • Grant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
                      > Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can
                      write
                      > Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO,
                      the
                      > new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from
                      within
                      > NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
                      > without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.
                      >
                      > There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
                      > http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
                      > with a lot of samples which will get you started.

                      Yeah I'm a fan of using WSH from within Notetab cause you can grab the wsh
                      output with the ^$GetOutput("Command")$. method. This command has been
                      reworked by Eric in ver 4.8 to give even a faster response.

                      Try this clip to see what version of wsh(if any) you have installed.

                      H=wshVersion
                      ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" WScript.Echo(WScript.Version)
                      ^!Info ^$GetOutput(cscript "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" file://NoLogo)$

                      As Erich suggests using ADO is the way to go however you can use any
                      scripting language as seen in the example above and not just vbs with the
                      wsh. Once you have created a DSN entry for your database using ADO is not
                      that difficult
                      Check out this site
                      http://www.winscripter.com/
                      Which has a section "Samples interacting with ODBC databases". Which will
                      give you some idea.
                      Remember The Wsh"echo" can be grabbed by notetab with the
                      ^$GetOutput("Command")$

                      There are some good books on ADO. check out http://www.wrox.com
                      You can also get heaps of examples from all those ASP sites out there on how
                      to use ADO
                      You just need to hack the scripts a bit (note javascript examples below not
                      vbs)
                      So instead of
                      var objRec = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Recordset')
                      You will have
                      var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                      And of course can hack those ASP Response .Write() methods to the WSH
                      equivalent
                      WScript.Echo(); methods.

                      The best way I have found to work with WSH is Like the Notetab Perl examples
                      is to create 2 clips.
                      a loader clip and the actual script.
                      H=Loader
                      ^!Set %js%="ThisScript"
                      ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                      ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(^%js%)$
                      ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                      H=ThisScript
                      file://create an activeX object
                      var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                      file://do some thing objRec object
                      WScript.Echo("pass results back to Notetab")

                      Once the script is debugged and working ok the loder clip can be reduced to

                      ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                      ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                      and the
                      script clip eliminated from the clip library as its on file in the scripts
                      folder.
                      Hope this helps.
                      WSH is pretty cool and Notetab is a pretty good tool for using WSH.