[Clip] Interesting Question

  • Clint Tredway
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database and return the
      tables and the be able to read the column's out of a specified table?

      Thanks in advance,

      Clint
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        Hi Clint,

        > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
        > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
        > of a specified table?

        You might try my NoteBlock on my Libraries page. When you say
        "table" I don't know if you mean like an HTML table, but I have
        had some success with just getting a field or two from them. If
        you look at Extract Fields I... I think you will be able to
        figure it out. In a regular delimited file it will do what you
        are asking. The ReOrder Fields needs to be written over because
        there is a little bit of clean up one has to do after running it,
        but it sure is a lot faster than having to switch say the order
        of 3 fields our of 6 fields in a large delimited file manually.
        :) The cleanup is just a matter of doing one Find and Replace.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab/html/library.html
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/notebloc.zip

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
          Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
          >Hi Clint,
          >
          > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
          > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
          > > of a specified table?
          >
          >You might try my NoteBlock on my Libraries page. When you say
          >"table" I don't know if you mean like an HTML table, but I have

          No. Clint was clearly asking about databases. A table
          (a 2 dimensional array of data) is a fundamental concept
          in relational databases.

          The answer depends on the database software in question.
          NoteTab does not have anyway of directly interfacing with
          databases; so I believe the database would have to allow
          queries to be given from the command line (e.g. DOS prompt).

          If I knew what database Clint was using (MS Access maybe?)
          someone could possibly write a command line utility for it,
          if it doesn't have one already. I really need to learn
          more about Access. ;-) I am used to using SQL databases
          from the Linux command line, but have never used Access.

          --
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
        • Clint Tredway
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
            Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying to create
            some really complex clips to help in my web application development. If
            someone could help write this clip I would be very grateful

            Thanks

            Clint

            > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
            > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
            > > of a specified table?
            >
            >You might try my NoteBlock on my Libraries page. When you say
            >"table" I don't know if you mean like an HTML table, but I have

            No. Clint was clearly asking about databases. A table
            (a 2 dimensional array of data) is a fundamental concept
            in relational databases.

            The answer depends on the database software in question.
            NoteTab does not have anyway of directly interfacing with
            databases; so I believe the database would have to allow
            queries to be given from the command line (e.g. DOS prompt).

            If I knew what database Clint was using (MS Access maybe?)
            someone could possibly write a command line utility for it,
            if it doesn't have one already. I really need to learn
            more about Access. ;-) I am used to using SQL databases
            from the Linux command line, but have never used Access.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen

            Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951943321/

            -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
            -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ntb-clips&m=1
          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
              Jody <KJB1611@...> wrote:
              >Hi Clint,
              >
              > > Does anyone know if a clip can be written to query a database
              > > and return the tables and the be able to read the column's out
              > > of a specified table?

              I posted a response earlier, but probably was thinking more
              complicated than you really need.

              If this is a job you only need to do occasionally, and don't
              have to worry about the database being updated during the
              process, you only need to export the table as a tab delimited
              file. Then my clipbook called NoteAwk has some good tools for
              extracting any fields you need from the file.

              (http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html)

              If you need to be able to give the database more advanced queries,
              or work with it "live" (e.g. while it is being modified by other
              programs), then you'll need to find a way to access it via a
              command line.

              If you have specific questions about the process, send me a
              private email. I'll help if I know the answer.

              --
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                Hi Clint,

                > Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am
                > trying to create some really complex clips to help in my web
                > application development.

                Try exporting the database as a text delimited file. I am not
                familiar enough with the apps you mention so that is all I can
                offer. then you can use my NoteBlock to extract, reorder, edit
                etc. and then import it back into the other apps. That is, if
                they work that way.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                  Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
                  >Wayne you are correct. I use both Access and MS SQL 7. I am trying
                  >to create some really complex clips to help in my web application
                  >development. If someone could help write this clip I would be very
                  >grateful.

                  I just had another thought about this.

                  I am still not certain what exactly Clint wants to accomplish.
                  If it is fairly simple, then I repeat that using a delimited
                  text file is very likely the _BEST_ way to go.

                  BUT if the task really is complicated, or if the database is
                  fairly large, it could be easier and more efficient to write
                  a Perl script. In fact, it is very very very likely that a
                  module for Activeperl exists that will allow direct access to
                  a live MS SQL 7 database. And for large amounts of data,
                  Perl is significantly faster than NoteTab's clip language.

                  --
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                • Clint Tredway
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

                    As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                    want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                    database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                    in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                    then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                    proper format.

                    If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                    for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                    Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

                    I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                    Thanks again guys.
                  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                      Clint Tredway <CTredway@...> wrote:
                      >Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.
                      >
                      >As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                      >want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                      >database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                      >in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                      >then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                      >proper format.
                      >
                      >If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                      >for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                      >Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to
                      >
                      >I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                      I recommend you start by doing as much as you can with Visual Basic.

                      After that, we will find a way to launch your visual basic program
                      from NoteTab and capture its output to the current document, all in
                      one step via a clip.

                      --
                      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                    • Erich Ruff
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
                        Thanks for the help guys. Here is exactly what I want to do.

                        As a web developer I write many Insert, Update, and Delete Statements. I
                        want to write a clip that will give me a list of tables from a selected
                        database. Then I want to choose the table and the be given a list of columns
                        in the table that I chose. Then I will choose the columns that I want and
                        then click "OK" and have my insert or update statement written out the
                        proper format.

                        If this is possible, after this clip is written I want to do the same thing
                        for stored procedures. I know that I can write this type of 'utility' in
                        Visual Basic, but I would rather do it throught note tab so I don't have to

                        I don't think a text file will work in this situation.

                        Thanks again guys.

                        Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can write
                        Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO, the
                        new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from within
                        NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
                        without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.

                        There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
                        http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
                        with a lot of samples which will get you started.

                        Just another possibility

                        Erich

                        Registering a domain name is quick and easy.
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/1611/3/_/2798/_/951946174/

                        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ntb-clips&m=1
                      • Grant
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
                          > Did you consider to use Windows Scripting Host WSH (VBScript). You can
                          write
                          > Scripts in NTP and you can access MSAccess :-)) and SQL-Server with ADO,
                          the
                          > new MS Database prgramming layer (activeX). VBScripts can be Run from
                          within
                          > NoteTabPro. You can persist ADO-Recordsets to files on disk and use them
                          > without Access, getting Datas with VBScript.
                          >
                          > There is an interesting list you can subscribe for WSH-Programming at
                          > http://wsh.glazier.co.nz
                          > with a lot of samples which will get you started.

                          Yeah I'm a fan of using WSH from within Notetab cause you can grab the wsh
                          output with the ^$GetOutput("Command")$. method. This command has been
                          reworked by Eric in ver 4.8 to give even a faster response.

                          Try this clip to see what version of wsh(if any) you have installed.

                          H=wshVersion
                          ^!TextToFile "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" WScript.Echo(WScript.Version)
                          ^!Info ^$GetOutput(cscript "^$GetScriptPath$temp.js" file://NoLogo)$

                          As Erich suggests using ADO is the way to go however you can use any
                          scripting language as seen in the example above and not just vbs with the
                          wsh. Once you have created a DSN entry for your database using ADO is not
                          that difficult
                          Check out this site
                          http://www.winscripter.com/
                          Which has a section "Samples interacting with ODBC databases". Which will
                          give you some idea.
                          Remember The Wsh"echo" can be grabbed by notetab with the
                          ^$GetOutput("Command")$

                          There are some good books on ADO. check out http://www.wrox.com
                          You can also get heaps of examples from all those ASP sites out there on how
                          to use ADO
                          You just need to hack the scripts a bit (note javascript examples below not
                          vbs)
                          So instead of
                          var objRec = Server.CreateObject('ADODB.Recordset')
                          You will have
                          var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                          And of course can hack those ASP Response .Write() methods to the WSH
                          equivalent
                          WScript.Echo(); methods.

                          The best way I have found to work with WSH is Like the Notetab Perl examples
                          is to create 2 clips.
                          a loader clip and the actual script.
                          H=Loader
                          ^!Set %js%="ThisScript"
                          ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                          ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(^%js%)$
                          ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                          H=ThisScript
                          file://create an activeX object
                          var objRec = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Recordset');
                          file://do some thing objRec object
                          WScript.Echo("pass results back to Notetab")

                          Once the script is debugged and working ok the loder clip can be reduced to

                          ^!Set %jsFile%=^$GetScriptPath$AnyThing.js
                          ^!Set %cscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(cscript "(^%jsFile%" file://NoLogo)

                          and the
                          script clip eliminated from the clip library as its on file in the scripts
                          folder.
                          Hope this helps.
                          WSH is pretty cool and Notetab is a pretty good tool for using WSH.