[Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?

  • Eb Guenther
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hi Sleepless in Seattle,

      > From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
      >creating a clip:
      >
      > 1. Clipbook Tool
      >
      > 2. Manually

      I see you've gotten to

      "How To --> Create Clipbook Libraries"

      That means you have already discovered the weakest point of
      NoteTab, the Help file organization. From now on it can only
      get better.

      What you really need is to find where the programming help
      is buried:

      Click "Help --> Help Topics --> Content -->
      Reference --> Tools --> Editor Clipbook -->

      1. Read "Clipbook Libraries",
      2. read "Clip Basics",
      3. read "Clip Programming",
      4. open "Clipbook Programming" folder,
      5. READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".

      This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
      because it contains links to all the other topics
      you'll need in the future.

      As to Y/N answers -- it'll take forever to learn
      NoteTab this way <grin>.

      Good luck,

      eb
    • Sleepless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
        OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
        text.

        Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
          Hi Sleepless,

          At 07:00 AM 2/4/2000 -0800, you wrote:
          >OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
          >text.
          >
          >Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?

          I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys. With the
          clipbook open and the clip selected/highlighted, you can run it by holding
          donw the control key and then pressing the space bar. Each press of the
          space bar while holding the control key will run it again. You can also
          close the clipbook and press the escape key. You will se a combo box open
          in the document area. This is the in-context clip menu. Type in the first
          few leters of the name of the clip until it appears in the box and then
          press enter. The box will disappear and the clip will run. From that
          point on until you run a different clip or switch libraries, or close
          NoteTab, you can run this clip over and over again just by pressing and
          releasing the escape key and then pressing and releasing the enter key.

          The newest version which you have (the beta) will be out in about two
          weeks. It has a clipbar and you can make a button on it for your new clip
          and just click it with the mouse every time you want to run the clip.

          To add your new clip to the clipbar:

          1. One the menu bar select View|Clip Bar and the empty clipbr will appear.

          2. Open your clipbook and place your mouse pointer on the clip you want to
          make a button for on the clip bar.

          3. Press and hold down the left mouse button and drag the clip to the
          clibar and then release the left mouse button and a new clip bar button
          will appear. You will see a circle with a slash through it when you start
          dragging the clip to the clipbar. When you have the clip in a position
          where you can drop it on the clipbar, the circle with the slash in it will
          turn into an icon that looks like a tiny blank page to let you know.

          4. Now you can run the clip just by clicking the button whether the
          clipbook is open or not.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Sleepless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
            Larry Thomas wrote:

            > I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys.

            Gee, I wish someone had thought to tell me that when I posted the
            first message in this thread:

            "I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
            "clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
            of text."

            It would have saved me from spending so much time and effort
            trying to do what can't be done.
          • Len
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
              Hi Sleeples;

              Make the following clip

              H="X"
              ^!Keyboard Backspace
              ; You may want to use ^!Save on this line.
              ^!Select Line
              ^!GoTo End

              Type Spacebar X at the end of the desired line, before the CRLF,
              and press F2.

              See Expand Text in Help and let your imagination work.

              Have fun, Len
              At 08:55 AM 2/4/00 -0800, you wrote:

              >"I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
              >"clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
              >of text."

              Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
              Avionics Systems Engineer
              E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.

                1. I received the original as e-mail because I recently subscribed to the
                news group. Now, in responding, by pressing the "reply" button (MS Outlook
                Express 5) it appears this note is going to the news group for public
                display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                2. Am I spoiling the thread by accepting the default subject:
                "Re: [Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?"

                3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I proceed in order
                to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to delete the "Re: [Clip] " from
                the default subject?

                4. Now to get to the actual question related to Mr. Guenther's message:

                >> ...READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".
                >>
                >> This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
                >> because it contains links to all the other topics
                >> you'll need in the future.

                How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still be there when
                one re-opens the help files? For some reason, after I set a bookmark in the
                NTP help files and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time I
                open NTP help.

                I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                Thank you,

                Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                  Hi Ray

                  > ...but how would I send private mail directly to Eb Guenther or
                  > any other author?

                  When you were on the reply page and you saw the group's address
                  there was a pull down button (or click anywhere in the To: field)
                  and you will see the sender.

                  > 3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I
                  > proceed in order to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to
                  > delete the "Re: [Clip] " from the default subject?

                  It is best to try to keep the threads on Topic, but they do
                  drift. You could have replied to the post about selecting a line
                  of text and started a new Topic by using the [ Post to this group
                  ] link located on the Index pages where all the posts are listed
                  at.

                  > How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still
                  > be there when one re-opens the help files?

                  Mine are saved in Pro ver. 4.6a and beta #26 even after restarting
                  NoteTab. What version are you in?

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                  mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                  http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                • Eb Guenther
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2000
                    Hi Ray,

                    your message:
                    >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
                    >To: <ntb-clips@egroups.com>
                    ><snip>
                    >This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                    >Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.
                    >
                    >1. I received the original as e-mail

                    That is how you receive messages from a listserver,
                    though the list owner would be the authority here.

                    >display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                    >mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                    You have to dig into the headers (look for a way to display
                    "All headers"), and pick out the "From:" header.

                    In your case this looked like:

                    >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

                    And you would now copy the email address
                    ("Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>)
                    and paste it into the "To: " field of your outgoing message.

                    >How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will
                    >still be there when one re-opens the help files? For
                    >some reason, after I set a bookmark in the NTP help files
                    >and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time
                    >I open NTP help.
                    >
                    >I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                    I use Windows NT 4, and have no problem with:

                    From a Help topic window, click the Bookmark menu button:
                    [Bookmark]-->[Define]-->(edit name)-->[OK]

                    or in shortcut keys, from the topic window, press:
                    [Alt+M]-->D-->[Enter]

                    The next time you display the Bookmark window, it
                    should display the bookmark name you assigned.

                    If not, you have just discovered another of the many
                    "Undocumented Feature" of Windows 98. Also one of the
                    many reasons why some people sign their messages with

                    "cheers",

                    Eb

                    Microsoft releases Service Release 1 for Windoze 2OOO
                    before the actual Windows 2000 is released, beating
                    their own record of SR1 a week after WIndows 98 debut.