[Clip] Re: [NH] What else? Regular Expressions

  • Dennis Partridge
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2000
      At 03:05 PM 2/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >--- Dennis Partridge <partridge@...> wrote:
      >> It must search across multiple lines. This does
      >> appear to be the problem
      >> >--><!--banner-->.*<!--banner--><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --></p>
      >> >
      >Here are a few things to try before pulling out the sledge hammer:

      I wouldn't go that far... yet.

      > o When viewing a given file to find the pattern, be sure to turn word
      wrap off
      >(CTRL-W). You don't want your accuracy skewed by screen display problems.
      > o Open several files and try to determine if the CR/LF pattern is the same
      >across all the files.
      > - If so, great! Highlight the pattern with the mouse, copy and paste it
      >into the Reg. Expr. box of the Search Text dialog (search disk). In this box,
      >be sure to replace the variable text with the regex /.*/ (no slashes). The
      >CR/LF should come out as ^P auto-magically by NoteTab (thanks, EF).

      You know... some days my mind just isn't on straight. I was already writing
      the program to open all 60,000 files and change them. However, since the
      solution is as you wrote above, I should be ashamed of not trying harder.
      The code in question has 3 distinct differences on each page... all of them
      just 1 or 2 words. Since I can account for each of them with a regular
      expression /.*/ I can easily run this through the Search/Replace Disk. The
      new code will be the same on every page, making the whole process take a
      few minutes. Thanks Charles, you've made my day!

      Best Wishes,

      Dennis N. Partridge

      The SurnameWeb
      Co-Founder and Team Leader

      The Partridge Nest (note new address!!!)