[Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hi Sleepless,

      At 01:32 PM 2/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:

      >Larry Thomas wrote:
      >>
      >> I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
      >> see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
      >> items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
      >> format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
      >> the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
      >> looking for.
      >

      >>From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
      >creating a clip:
      >
      > 1. Clipbook Tool
      >
      > 2. Manually
      >
      >Am I right so far? [y/n]

      >Are there other ways to create clips, beyond these two? [y/n]

      >So, before I jump in with both feet, I should probably decide
      >which method I'm going to use to create my first clip, right?
      >[y/n]

      >I greatly enjoy writing batch files and BASIC programs, as well
      >as writing key definition macros in DOS using a program called
      >Prokey. So, if there is a choice in how I begin, my preference
      >would be to begin at the level that most closely resembles
      >writing batch files or BASIC instructions in a simple text file.
      >
      >Is that an option? [y/n]

      >If so, then the first things I'll need to learn are
      >
      > 1. what type of file to use (ANSI text?)
      >
      > 2. and some rudimentary command syntax
      >
      >Does that make sense? [y/n]

      >And then a way to test and debug my first attempts? [y/n]

      >If I'm on the right track, then my first question would be how to
      >name the file for my first clip(s). What is the format for
      >naming a "clip" file?

      Press F4 to open the clip library on the left side of the document. Or you
      can use your mouse to open it from the library buttons at the bottom of the
      screen.

      At the top of the list you will see a drop down menu (a combo box actually)
      with the name of the current library displayed in it.

      Place your mouse pointer onver that clipbook name and click the right button.

      Select "New" from the menu that appears and you will get a dialog box that
      asks for a nme for the new clipbook.

      Enter the name and press Enter and a new clipbook will open with that name.
      You do not have to worry about the format of the name. NoteTab places a
      .clb extension on it automatically.

      Place your mouse pointer on the blank area below the combo box and click
      the right button and select "Add a new clip" from the menu that appears.

      Enter the name of your first clip that you want and press enter.

      The clip editor window will open, the name you typed for your clip will
      appear in the clipbook list and you are ready to start typing in your first
      clip.

      When you type in clip instructions, you will have to save the file (same
      method as for any other document) before you can run it.

      Make sure you have a new blank doc open or an expendable doc that you can
      run your tests on before you test it.

      To test you must switch to the test document away from the Clip Editor
      window. The clip cannot be run with the editor window in focus. (It can
      with the clipbar but I am not getting into that here.

      Double click your mouse on the clipname or press F6 to highlight it and
      press enter and your clip will execute.

      That is it.

      I am sorry for using so many references to the mouse but I am just so used
      to using it and you will need to experiment to see which keys switch you
      from the document to the clipbook list and back and the other areas. You
      can go to the on line help and select the index tab and type in "shortcuts"
      and then display and list of the NoteTab shortcuts.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Eb Guenther
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
        Hi Sleepless in Seattle,

        > From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
        >creating a clip:
        >
        > 1. Clipbook Tool
        >
        > 2. Manually

        I see you've gotten to

        "How To --> Create Clipbook Libraries"

        That means you have already discovered the weakest point of
        NoteTab, the Help file organization. From now on it can only
        get better.

        What you really need is to find where the programming help
        is buried:

        Click "Help --> Help Topics --> Content -->
        Reference --> Tools --> Editor Clipbook -->

        1. Read "Clipbook Libraries",
        2. read "Clip Basics",
        3. read "Clip Programming",
        4. open "Clipbook Programming" folder,
        5. READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".

        This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
        because it contains links to all the other topics
        you'll need in the future.

        As to Y/N answers -- it'll take forever to learn
        NoteTab this way <grin>.

        Good luck,

        eb
      • Sleepless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
          OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
          text.

          Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
            Hi Sleepless,

            At 07:00 AM 2/4/2000 -0800, you wrote:
            >OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
            >text.
            >
            >Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?

            I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys. With the
            clipbook open and the clip selected/highlighted, you can run it by holding
            donw the control key and then pressing the space bar. Each press of the
            space bar while holding the control key will run it again. You can also
            close the clipbook and press the escape key. You will se a combo box open
            in the document area. This is the in-context clip menu. Type in the first
            few leters of the name of the clip until it appears in the box and then
            press enter. The box will disappear and the clip will run. From that
            point on until you run a different clip or switch libraries, or close
            NoteTab, you can run this clip over and over again just by pressing and
            releasing the escape key and then pressing and releasing the enter key.

            The newest version which you have (the beta) will be out in about two
            weeks. It has a clipbar and you can make a button on it for your new clip
            and just click it with the mouse every time you want to run the clip.

            To add your new clip to the clipbar:

            1. One the menu bar select View|Clip Bar and the empty clipbr will appear.

            2. Open your clipbook and place your mouse pointer on the clip you want to
            make a button for on the clip bar.

            3. Press and hold down the left mouse button and drag the clip to the
            clibar and then release the left mouse button and a new clip bar button
            will appear. You will see a circle with a slash through it when you start
            dragging the clip to the clipbar. When you have the clip in a position
            where you can drop it on the clipbar, the circle with the slash in it will
            turn into an icon that looks like a tiny blank page to let you know.

            4. Now you can run the clip just by clicking the button whether the
            clipbook is open or not.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Sleepless in Seattle
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
              Larry Thomas wrote:

              > I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys.

              Gee, I wish someone had thought to tell me that when I posted the
              first message in this thread:

              "I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
              "clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
              of text."

              It would have saved me from spending so much time and effort
              trying to do what can't be done.
            • Len
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                Hi Sleeples;

                Make the following clip

                H="X"
                ^!Keyboard Backspace
                ; You may want to use ^!Save on this line.
                ^!Select Line
                ^!GoTo End

                Type Spacebar X at the end of the desired line, before the CRLF,
                and press F2.

                See Expand Text in Help and let your imagination work.

                Have fun, Len
                At 08:55 AM 2/4/00 -0800, you wrote:

                >"I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
                >"clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
                >of text."

                Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                Avionics Systems Engineer
                E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                  This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                  Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.

                  1. I received the original as e-mail because I recently subscribed to the
                  news group. Now, in responding, by pressing the "reply" button (MS Outlook
                  Express 5) it appears this note is going to the news group for public
                  display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                  mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                  2. Am I spoiling the thread by accepting the default subject:
                  "Re: [Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?"

                  3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I proceed in order
                  to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to delete the "Re: [Clip] " from
                  the default subject?

                  4. Now to get to the actual question related to Mr. Guenther's message:

                  >> ...READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".
                  >>
                  >> This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
                  >> because it contains links to all the other topics
                  >> you'll need in the future.

                  How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still be there when
                  one re-opens the help files? For some reason, after I set a bookmark in the
                  NTP help files and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time I
                  open NTP help.

                  I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                  Thank you,

                  Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                    Hi Ray

                    > ...but how would I send private mail directly to Eb Guenther or
                    > any other author?

                    When you were on the reply page and you saw the group's address
                    there was a pull down button (or click anywhere in the To: field)
                    and you will see the sender.

                    > 3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I
                    > proceed in order to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to
                    > delete the "Re: [Clip] " from the default subject?

                    It is best to try to keep the threads on Topic, but they do
                    drift. You could have replied to the post about selecting a line
                    of text and started a new Topic by using the [ Post to this group
                    ] link located on the Index pages where all the posts are listed
                    at.

                    > How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still
                    > be there when one re-opens the help files?

                    Mine are saved in Pro ver. 4.6a and beta #26 even after restarting
                    NoteTab. What version are you in?

                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                    http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                  • Eb Guenther
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2000
                      Hi Ray,

                      your message:
                      >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
                      >To: <ntb-clips@egroups.com>
                      ><snip>
                      >This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                      >Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.
                      >
                      >1. I received the original as e-mail

                      That is how you receive messages from a listserver,
                      though the list owner would be the authority here.

                      >display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                      >mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                      You have to dig into the headers (look for a way to display
                      "All headers"), and pick out the "From:" header.

                      In your case this looked like:

                      >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

                      And you would now copy the email address
                      ("Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>)
                      and paste it into the "To: " field of your outgoing message.

                      >How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will
                      >still be there when one re-opens the help files? For
                      >some reason, after I set a bookmark in the NTP help files
                      >and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time
                      >I open NTP help.
                      >
                      >I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                      I use Windows NT 4, and have no problem with:

                      From a Help topic window, click the Bookmark menu button:
                      [Bookmark]-->[Define]-->(edit name)-->[OK]

                      or in shortcut keys, from the topic window, press:
                      [Alt+M]-->D-->[Enter]

                      The next time you display the Bookmark window, it
                      should display the bookmark name you assigned.

                      If not, you have just discovered another of the many
                      "Undocumented Feature" of Windows 98. Also one of the
                      many reasons why some people sign their messages with

                      "cheers",

                      Eb

                      Microsoft releases Service Release 1 for Windoze 2OOO
                      before the actual Windows 2000 is released, beating
                      their own record of SR1 a week after WIndows 98 debut.