[Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      >^!Jump Line_Start
      >^!Select Line

      I can't tell any difference that that jump command adds. Is it necessary or
      did I miss something?

      Cheers,
      Ray
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        >> ^!Jump Line_Start
        >> ^!Select Line
        >
        > I can't tell any difference that that jump command adds. Is it
        > necessary or did I miss something?

        No, you did not. I had my mind set on getting the line, but with
        ^!Select Eol. In that case it allows you to place your cursor
        anywhere on the line so you don't have to find the exact start of
        a the line. Just click anywhere on it and run the Clip.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Sleepless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
          Larry Thomas wrote:

          > I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
          > see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
          > items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
          > format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
          > the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
          > looking for.

          From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
          creating a clip:

          1. Clipbook Tool

          2. Manually

          Am I right so far? [y/n]

          (I'd be grateful for just a "yes" or "no" at this point, as all
          of the examples you guys have so generously posted have gone
          right over my head.)

          If "no" go to end

          Are there other ways to create clips, beyond these two? [y/n]

          So, before I jump in with both feet, I should probably decide
          which method I'm going to use to create my first clip, right?
          [y/n]

          If "no" go to end

          I greatly enjoy writing batch files and BASIC programs, as well
          as writing key definition macros in DOS using a program called
          Prokey. So, if there is a choice in how I begin, my preference
          would be to begin at the level that most closely resembles
          writing batch files or BASIC instructions in a simple text file.

          Is that an option? [y/n]

          If "no" go to end

          If so, then the first things I'll need to learn are

          1. what type of file to use (ANSI text?)

          2. and some rudimentary command syntax

          Does that make sense? [y/n]

          If "no" go to end

          And then a way to test and debug my first attempts? [y/n]

          If "no" go to end

          If I'm on the right track, then my first question would be how to
          name the file for my first clip(s). What is the format for
          naming a "clip" file?

          :end

          Thanks for all the help!
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
            Hi Sleepless,

            At 01:32 PM 2/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:

            >Larry Thomas wrote:
            >>
            >> I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
            >> see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
            >> items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
            >> format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
            >> the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
            >> looking for.
            >

            >>From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
            >creating a clip:
            >
            > 1. Clipbook Tool
            >
            > 2. Manually
            >
            >Am I right so far? [y/n]

            >Are there other ways to create clips, beyond these two? [y/n]

            >So, before I jump in with both feet, I should probably decide
            >which method I'm going to use to create my first clip, right?
            >[y/n]

            >I greatly enjoy writing batch files and BASIC programs, as well
            >as writing key definition macros in DOS using a program called
            >Prokey. So, if there is a choice in how I begin, my preference
            >would be to begin at the level that most closely resembles
            >writing batch files or BASIC instructions in a simple text file.
            >
            >Is that an option? [y/n]

            >If so, then the first things I'll need to learn are
            >
            > 1. what type of file to use (ANSI text?)
            >
            > 2. and some rudimentary command syntax
            >
            >Does that make sense? [y/n]

            >And then a way to test and debug my first attempts? [y/n]

            >If I'm on the right track, then my first question would be how to
            >name the file for my first clip(s). What is the format for
            >naming a "clip" file?

            Press F4 to open the clip library on the left side of the document. Or you
            can use your mouse to open it from the library buttons at the bottom of the
            screen.

            At the top of the list you will see a drop down menu (a combo box actually)
            with the name of the current library displayed in it.

            Place your mouse pointer onver that clipbook name and click the right button.

            Select "New" from the menu that appears and you will get a dialog box that
            asks for a nme for the new clipbook.

            Enter the name and press Enter and a new clipbook will open with that name.
            You do not have to worry about the format of the name. NoteTab places a
            .clb extension on it automatically.

            Place your mouse pointer on the blank area below the combo box and click
            the right button and select "Add a new clip" from the menu that appears.

            Enter the name of your first clip that you want and press enter.

            The clip editor window will open, the name you typed for your clip will
            appear in the clipbook list and you are ready to start typing in your first
            clip.

            When you type in clip instructions, you will have to save the file (same
            method as for any other document) before you can run it.

            Make sure you have a new blank doc open or an expendable doc that you can
            run your tests on before you test it.

            To test you must switch to the test document away from the Clip Editor
            window. The clip cannot be run with the editor window in focus. (It can
            with the clipbar but I am not getting into that here.

            Double click your mouse on the clipname or press F6 to highlight it and
            press enter and your clip will execute.

            That is it.

            I am sorry for using so many references to the mouse but I am just so used
            to using it and you will need to experiment to see which keys switch you
            from the document to the clipbook list and back and the other areas. You
            can go to the on line help and select the index tab and type in "shortcuts"
            and then display and list of the NoteTab shortcuts.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Eb Guenther
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
              Hi Sleepless in Seattle,

              > From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
              >creating a clip:
              >
              > 1. Clipbook Tool
              >
              > 2. Manually

              I see you've gotten to

              "How To --> Create Clipbook Libraries"

              That means you have already discovered the weakest point of
              NoteTab, the Help file organization. From now on it can only
              get better.

              What you really need is to find where the programming help
              is buried:

              Click "Help --> Help Topics --> Content -->
              Reference --> Tools --> Editor Clipbook -->

              1. Read "Clipbook Libraries",
              2. read "Clip Basics",
              3. read "Clip Programming",
              4. open "Clipbook Programming" folder,
              5. READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".

              This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
              because it contains links to all the other topics
              you'll need in the future.

              As to Y/N answers -- it'll take forever to learn
              NoteTab this way <grin>.

              Good luck,

              eb
            • Sleepless in Seattle
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
                text.

                Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                  Hi Sleepless,

                  At 07:00 AM 2/4/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                  >OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
                  >text.
                  >
                  >Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?

                  I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys. With the
                  clipbook open and the clip selected/highlighted, you can run it by holding
                  donw the control key and then pressing the space bar. Each press of the
                  space bar while holding the control key will run it again. You can also
                  close the clipbook and press the escape key. You will se a combo box open
                  in the document area. This is the in-context clip menu. Type in the first
                  few leters of the name of the clip until it appears in the box and then
                  press enter. The box will disappear and the clip will run. From that
                  point on until you run a different clip or switch libraries, or close
                  NoteTab, you can run this clip over and over again just by pressing and
                  releasing the escape key and then pressing and releasing the enter key.

                  The newest version which you have (the beta) will be out in about two
                  weeks. It has a clipbar and you can make a button on it for your new clip
                  and just click it with the mouse every time you want to run the clip.

                  To add your new clip to the clipbar:

                  1. One the menu bar select View|Clip Bar and the empty clipbr will appear.

                  2. Open your clipbook and place your mouse pointer on the clip you want to
                  make a button for on the clip bar.

                  3. Press and hold down the left mouse button and drag the clip to the
                  clibar and then release the left mouse button and a new clip bar button
                  will appear. You will see a circle with a slash through it when you start
                  dragging the clip to the clipbar. When you have the clip in a position
                  where you can drop it on the clipbar, the circle with the slash in it will
                  turn into an icon that looks like a tiny blank page to let you know.

                  4. Now you can run the clip just by clicking the button whether the
                  clipbook is open or not.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  larryt@...
                • Sleepless in Seattle
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                    Larry Thomas wrote:

                    > I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys.

                    Gee, I wish someone had thought to tell me that when I posted the
                    first message in this thread:

                    "I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
                    "clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
                    of text."

                    It would have saved me from spending so much time and effort
                    trying to do what can't be done.
                  • Len
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                      Hi Sleeples;

                      Make the following clip

                      H="X"
                      ^!Keyboard Backspace
                      ; You may want to use ^!Save on this line.
                      ^!Select Line
                      ^!GoTo End

                      Type Spacebar X at the end of the desired line, before the CRLF,
                      and press F2.

                      See Expand Text in Help and let your imagination work.

                      Have fun, Len
                      At 08:55 AM 2/4/00 -0800, you wrote:

                      >"I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
                      >"clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
                      >of text."

                      Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                      Avionics Systems Engineer
                      E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                        This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                        Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.

                        1. I received the original as e-mail because I recently subscribed to the
                        news group. Now, in responding, by pressing the "reply" button (MS Outlook
                        Express 5) it appears this note is going to the news group for public
                        display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                        mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                        2. Am I spoiling the thread by accepting the default subject:
                        "Re: [Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?"

                        3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I proceed in order
                        to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to delete the "Re: [Clip] " from
                        the default subject?

                        4. Now to get to the actual question related to Mr. Guenther's message:

                        >> ...READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".
                        >>
                        >> This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
                        >> because it contains links to all the other topics
                        >> you'll need in the future.

                        How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still be there when
                        one re-opens the help files? For some reason, after I set a bookmark in the
                        NTP help files and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time I
                        open NTP help.

                        I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                        Thank you,

                        Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                          Hi Ray

                          > ...but how would I send private mail directly to Eb Guenther or
                          > any other author?

                          When you were on the reply page and you saw the group's address
                          there was a pull down button (or click anywhere in the To: field)
                          and you will see the sender.

                          > 3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I
                          > proceed in order to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to
                          > delete the "Re: [Clip] " from the default subject?

                          It is best to try to keep the threads on Topic, but they do
                          drift. You could have replied to the post about selecting a line
                          of text and started a new Topic by using the [ Post to this group
                          ] link located on the Index pages where all the posts are listed
                          at.

                          > How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still
                          > be there when one re-opens the help files?

                          Mine are saved in Pro ver. 4.6a and beta #26 even after restarting
                          NoteTab. What version are you in?

                          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                          http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                        • Eb Guenther
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2000
                            Hi Ray,

                            your message:
                            >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
                            >To: <ntb-clips@egroups.com>
                            ><snip>
                            >This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                            >Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.
                            >
                            >1. I received the original as e-mail

                            That is how you receive messages from a listserver,
                            though the list owner would be the authority here.

                            >display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                            >mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                            You have to dig into the headers (look for a way to display
                            "All headers"), and pick out the "From:" header.

                            In your case this looked like:

                            >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

                            And you would now copy the email address
                            ("Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>)
                            and paste it into the "To: " field of your outgoing message.

                            >How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will
                            >still be there when one re-opens the help files? For
                            >some reason, after I set a bookmark in the NTP help files
                            >and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time
                            >I open NTP help.
                            >
                            >I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                            I use Windows NT 4, and have no problem with:

                            From a Help topic window, click the Bookmark menu button:
                            [Bookmark]-->[Define]-->(edit name)-->[OK]

                            or in shortcut keys, from the topic window, press:
                            [Alt+M]-->D-->[Enter]

                            The next time you display the Bookmark window, it
                            should display the bookmark name you assigned.

                            If not, you have just discovered another of the many
                            "Undocumented Feature" of Windows 98. Also one of the
                            many reasons why some people sign their messages with

                            "cheers",

                            Eb

                            Microsoft releases Service Release 1 for Windoze 2OOO
                            before the actual Windows 2000 is released, beating
                            their own record of SR1 a week after WIndows 98 debut.