[Clip] Suggestion/Request: Rebol support

  • alwilli
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2000
      Notetab has built in commands for Awk and Perl and any interpreter can
      be accommodated with the appropriate script.

      I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
      Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga
      OS guru Carl Sassenrath and free at http://www.rebol.com/ is bound to
      become widespread and it might be useful to include a native command
      such as ^!RunRebol.

      Please check it out, its quite amazing in simplicity, ease of use and
      especially tcp networking abilities. In addition it has powerful text
      parsing abilities. It is not pitched as opposition to Perl, but it can
      do most Perl stuff, but far less obtusely.

      I must point out that this suggestion is prompted only by my
      understanding of how useful Rebol is and will be and I have no other
      motive. Im sure that a cursory look at it will allow you to easily see
      what I mean.
      --
      Best regards,
      Alan
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2000
        Hello Alan,

        >I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
        >Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga
        >OS guru Carl Sassenrath and free at http://www.rebol.com/ is bound to
        >become widespread and it might be useful to include a native command
        >such as ^!RunRebol.
        >
        >Please check it out, its quite amazing in simplicity, ease of use and
        >especially tcp networking abilities. In addition it has powerful text
        >parsing abilities. It is not pitched as opposition to Perl, but it can
        >do most Perl stuff, but far less obtusely.

        REBOL is indeed a very interesting program, and I think that NoteTab would
        be a good interface for it. However, I'm reluctant to add a special Clip
        command for it before it really does become widespread. I haven't had time
        to look at it in detail, but does it use the StdInput and StdOutput devices
        like Perl and Gawk (especially to make use of its parsing abilities)?

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        NoteTab v4.6a available from
        NoteTab v4.8 Beta from
        http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

      • Alan Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2000
          Hi Eric,

          >>I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
          >>Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga

          > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....

          > StdInput and StdOutput devices

          As far as I can tell, it does not. It was just a thought and not
          really a necessity. One can write a rebol script in NoteTab then pass
          the tmp file to the interpreter.

          Best regards,
          Alan

          mailto:alwilli@...
        • Eb Guenther
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2000
            Hi Alan,

            > > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....
            >
            > > StdInput and StdOutput devices
            >
            >As far as I can tell, it does not.

            My guess would be, that it has to be able to interface
            with STDIN and STDOUT.

            Webservers expect script output to be sent to STDOUT,
            and the CGI POST method places data into STDIN, where
            the script must be able to pick it up.

            So, if REBOL is to work as a CGI, will it not HAVE to
            interface with STDOUT/IN ?

            Furthermore, the hype I have seen about REBOL claims to
            be the answer to a system programmer's prayer, which
            again means, interfacing with STDIN/OUT.

            So the only question remaining is, HOW does the programmer
            implement this interface?

            Prost,

            Eb
          • David Seidman
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 8, 2000
              Good guess, Eb. Here is what the REBOL documentation says about STDIN and STDOUT:

              ------------------------
              Redirecting Input and Output

              On most systems it is possible to redirect the standard input from, and output to, files. For example:

              rebol -w script.r > output-file

              redirects the output to the specified file. Similarly,

              rebol -w script.r < input-file

              redirects input. Both input and output redirection are permitted. Note that the -w option prevents the REBOL console window from spawning as it interferes with standard input and output redirect attempts.

              ---------------------------

              That puts a fair amount of unwanted startup output onto standard output. To avoid it, the first command line argument should be -qw instead of just -w.

              On the other hand, I haven't figured out what you do to get rebol actually to read from standard input -- I figured out how to read from a named file, but I haven't figured out how to specify standard input. Of course, there is a whole lot I haven't figured out about rebol. I've only had it for less than 24 hours, most of which I have spend doing things other than trying to figure out rebol.

              At 10:15 AM 02/08/2000 -0600, Eb Guenther wrote:
              >Hi Alan,
              >
              >> > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....
              >>
              >> > StdInput and StdOutput devices
              >>
              >>As far as I can tell, it does not.
              >

              >My guess would be, that it has to be able to interface
              >with STDIN and STDOUT.

              <SNIP>

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2000
                Hi Everyone,

                If some of you could spare a little bit of your time I believe a
                whole lot of people would appreciate it. I have about 100 words
                left that I need definitions to written in every day plain
                English on a level that somebody with little computer experience
                can understand. Please only reply to me private eMail if you
                *will* do it. There is not much time left and I need definite
                decisions. If you do write, please include your area of
                expertise if you think that would help me give you words you will
                know. Also, let me know about how many you think you can do. We
                don't need a book written, just enough to make it understood for
                now. TIA mailto:kjb1611@... (You do not have to be a good
                writer as long as you can make it so Carl Swann can understand -
                he doesn't know it yet, but he volunteered to edit it. <g>)
                Credit will be given according to the amount of work you put in;
                a word will list you in a catch all phrase like "and other
                contributors." ;)

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
              • Carl Swann
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2000
                  Jody wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > I have about 100 words
                  > left that I need definitions to written in every day plain
                  > English
                  > (You do not have to be a good
                  > writer as long as you can make it so Carl Swann can understand -
                  > he doesn't know it yet, but he volunteered to edit it. <g>)

                  Methinks I just heard the "railroad" whistle <grin> - sure, Jody, I'll
                  be glad to edit/proof whatever the fine NoteTab writing team comes up
                  with... as long as *you* review the final clip syntax to make sure
                  it's correct! I proudly remain an "eternal newbie" to the deeper
                  intricacies of NoteTab clipwriting...

                  > Thanks!

                  Thank YOU for your leadership on these lists!

                  oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                • Ronin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 10, 2000
                    Hi All,
                    When I produce a script using a particular library how do I launch another application and paste the script into it?
                    Imre

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 10, 2000
                      Hi Carl

                      >Methinks I just heard the "railroad" whistle <grin> - sure, Jody, I'll
                      >be glad to edit/proof whatever the fine NoteTab writing team comes up
                      >with... as long as *you* review the final clip syntax to make sure
                      >it's correct! I proudly remain an "eternal newbie" to the deeper
                      >intricacies of NoteTab clipwriting...

                      Thanks, there probably won't be any Clip commands given. If you can't understand it, then it is not written so most people can understand it and needs to be made that way. That is why you are idea for this. :)

                      >Thank YOU for your leadership on these lists!

                      Some folk sure want to give me a hard time about it it seems. <g>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 10, 2000
                        Hi Carl and All,

                        > Thanks, there probably won't be any Clip commands given.

                        I do have a few takers so far! :-)

                        I thought this was private eMail, but obviously not, sorry.

                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                        http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2000
                          Hi Ronin,

                          > When I produce a script using a particular library how do I
                          > launch another application and paste the script into it?

                          Something on these lines should do it for you:

                          H=Launch & Paste
                          ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ [or variable, etc.]
                          ^!SetHintInfo Launch time!
                          ^!"..\Path\to\App.exe"
                          ^!FocusApp "name of app on titlebar"
                          ^!Delay 2
                          ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "name of app on titlebar" Next else Skip_2
                          [^!Keyboard any keyboard shortcuts]
                          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

                          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                          http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                        • Harvey R. Savage
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 11, 2000
                            Jody,

                            I'm sure you've had several volunteers already but, I'll try to
                            lend a hand if necessary.

                            hrs

                            --
                            ¿? Harvey R. Savage