[Clip] Re: need a clip to combine files

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hi Pat,

      > I've a lot of text files, small. And I want to
      > concatenate - but the file names are varied, so using the dos command
      > is a pain, even in a batch file.

      I'm sure others will tell you of a clip that works, but if it's a pain for Dos'
      COPY command it will be a pain for a clip.

      Why doesn't

      REM > SEEDFILE.TMP
      COPY SEEDFILE.TMP+*.TXT+*.EXT HUGEFILE.TXT
      DEL SEEDFILE.TMP

      or something along those lines work?

      This batch creates a zero length temporary seed file, to which all files with
      extensions .TXT and .EXT are added and placed in a new file called HUGEFILE.TXT.
      The seed file is then deleted, leaving the original files, the batch file itself
      and the new "huge" concatenated file.

      You may only need "*.*" where I put "*.TXT+*.EXT". Unless your naming
      conventions are very weird, with the aid of the DOS wildcards ? and * you ought
      to be able to come up with a pattern that achieves what you want.

      And if you right-click the batch name in MY COMPUTER, select the PROGRAM tab and
      check the "Close on Exit" box, this will produce a Shortcut which you can move
      to wherever you like and the whole process will run virtually invisibly, when
      you click on the shortcut.

      Greg
    • PatHanneman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
        At 02/03/2000 , greg wrote:
        >Hi Pat,
        >
        > > I've a lot of text files, small. And I want to
        > > concatenate - but the file names are varied, so using the dos command
        > > is a pain, even in a batch file.
        >
        >I'm sure others will tell you of a clip that works, but if it's a pain for Dos'
        >COPY command it will be a pain for a clip.
        >
        >Why doesn't
        >
        >REM > SEEDFILE.TMP
        >COPY SEEDFILE.TMP+*.TXT+*.EXT HUGEFILE.TXT
        >DEL SEEDFILE.TMP
        >
        >or something along those lines work?

        i don't know.
        i can't remember why i was using the command without wildcard help.

        But it works!

        thanks!
        pat