[Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hi Sleepless,

      At 12:57 PM 2/2/2000 -0800, you wrote:

      >In the message above, Larry Thomas says I could use "^!Select
      >Line(s) in the help file," but I don't understand what he means by
      >that.

      Actually, I wrote: "You should check out ^!Jump and ^!Select Line(s) in the
      help file".

      I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
      see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
      items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
      format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
      the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
      looking for.

      When you select either one, you can go to the other easily because the
      dialog that comes up has tabs on it that allow you to switch back and forth
      between the two and there is a "Find" tab that will allow you to do a more
      specific word search through the help topics. I would suggest that you go
      through the help file just to get some idea of its structure so that you
      can use it more easily. You (or I) cannot possibly memorize all of this
      information but you can go through it in a general way and get a feel for
      where everything is located so that when you have a question, you know
      where to look most of the time to find the answer.

      For additional sources of help:

      1. This list is a good place.
      2. Go to Kay Roath's Introduction to NoteTab Clip Programming site and
      download her clip help clipbook. The site is at:

      http://able2find.com/notetabclips.shtml

      3. You can also go to Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen's Web Site at:

      http://landru.myhome.net/wayne

      And download his reference outline file: "NoteTabRef460.otl"

      4. Visit the customer service rep's site:

      Jody Adair at:

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      There are all kinds of good stuff there.

      5. Finally last but not least, you can find lots of help by downloading the
      clip libraries from the clipbook library site at:

      http://notetab.com/libraries.htm

      A good way to learn clip programing is to open some of these libraries and
      see how the code is put together and used.

      LEARN BY DOING
      ================

      Put the clip below into your favorite clip book.

      ______[Copy below this line]_______
      H="Make Test Doc"
      ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      ;02/02/2000, 04:28:24 PM
      ^!Close "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Test.txt"
      ^!Toolbar Copy All
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!Jump 1
      ^!Save As Test.txt
      _____[Copy above this line]______
      | right click over the clipbook |
      | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      This clip will copy the contents of the current open doc to the clipboard
      and open a new document page and paste it in then save it to the current
      NoteTab folder as "Test.txt". Now you have a dummie file that you can
      experiment on till you drop and not worry about damaging the original.
      Write small short clips or long ones if you wish and run them on this file
      to see what they do. That is indeed as you have said how to learn by
      doing. If the text content of this file is not what you want to test on,
      switch to or open a file you want to test and run this clip again.

      At this point, I have not set this up for outline documents but I will do
      so later. Right now, I think that you are just interested in the simpler
      stuff anyway.

      YOUR CLIP:
      ===========
      ^!Jump 7 (a number following ^!Jump will take you to the start of that
      line)
      ^!Select 5 (a number following ^!Select will select that many lines
      starting with the first line - in this case lines 7 through 11 if there are
      at least 11 lines in the document)

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
        Hi Sleepless,

        I want to make a revision in my clip. You are probably using a different
        folder name for keeping the NoteTab program in so:

        Replace:

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Make Test Doc"
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        ;02/02/2000, 04:28:24 PM
        ^!Close "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Test.txt"
        ^!Toolbar Copy All
        ^!Toolbar Paste New
        ^!Jump 1
        ^!Save As Test.txt
        _____[Copy above this line]______
        | right click over the clipbook |
        | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

        With:

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Make Test Doc"
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        ;02/02/2000, 04:28:24 PM
        ^!Close "^$GetAppPath$Test.txt"

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
          Hi Sleepless,

          Larry wrote:

          > I am talking about NoteTab's on line help.

          > When you select either one, you can go to the other easily
          > because the dialog that comes up has tabs on it that allow you
          > to switch back and forth between the two and there is a "Find"
          > tab that will allow you to do a more specific word search
          > through the help topics.

          If somebody were to say you can make a Clip and use ^!Jump and
          ^!Select, you can enter those one at a time in the Find section
          of Help. You can also click on the Index tab and scroll or type
          it in. Anyway, you can read what the commands do then. To see
          how Clips are built read Clipbook Basics in Help.

          Here are the basics to make a Clip:

          Right click over the area of a Library that you want the Clip
          inserted at. Choose "Add New Clip..." You will be prompted to
          name the Clip at which time do so. The Clip Editor will open and
          you will know it by its name on the tab, [Clip]. Type or paste
          in the Clip code you want to enter (or just straight text that
          you want printed into a document whenever you click on the Clip).

          So, to select a line you might want to add these two lines:

          ^!Jump Line_Start
          ^!Select Line

          You would then Save and close the Editor or bring another tab to
          the front. You can then place your cursor anywhere on a line and
          click on the Clip. NoteTab will select the whole line including
          CR/LF. Use ^!Select Eol if you do not want the hard break
          included.

          ----

          Sorry for my last post to Pat y'all - I forgot to paste her
          address in the To: section (yes, again!-() wanting it to go
          private eMail.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            >^!Jump Line_Start
            >^!Select Line

            I can't tell any difference that that jump command adds. Is it necessary or
            did I miss something?

            Cheers,
            Ray
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
              Hi Ray,

              >> ^!Jump Line_Start
              >> ^!Select Line
              >
              > I can't tell any difference that that jump command adds. Is it
              > necessary or did I miss something?

              No, you did not. I had my mind set on getting the line, but with
              ^!Select Eol. In that case it allows you to place your cursor
              anywhere on the line so you don't have to find the exact start of
              a the line. Just click anywhere on it and run the Clip.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
              mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
            • Sleepless in Seattle
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
                Larry Thomas wrote:

                > I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
                > see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
                > items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
                > format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
                > the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
                > looking for.

                From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
                creating a clip:

                1. Clipbook Tool

                2. Manually

                Am I right so far? [y/n]

                (I'd be grateful for just a "yes" or "no" at this point, as all
                of the examples you guys have so generously posted have gone
                right over my head.)

                If "no" go to end

                Are there other ways to create clips, beyond these two? [y/n]

                So, before I jump in with both feet, I should probably decide
                which method I'm going to use to create my first clip, right?
                [y/n]

                If "no" go to end

                I greatly enjoy writing batch files and BASIC programs, as well
                as writing key definition macros in DOS using a program called
                Prokey. So, if there is a choice in how I begin, my preference
                would be to begin at the level that most closely resembles
                writing batch files or BASIC instructions in a simple text file.

                Is that an option? [y/n]

                If "no" go to end

                If so, then the first things I'll need to learn are

                1. what type of file to use (ANSI text?)

                2. and some rudimentary command syntax

                Does that make sense? [y/n]

                If "no" go to end

                And then a way to test and debug my first attempts? [y/n]

                If "no" go to end

                If I'm on the right track, then my first question would be how to
                name the file for my first clip(s). What is the format for
                naming a "clip" file?

                :end

                Thanks for all the help!
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
                  Hi Sleepless,

                  At 01:32 PM 2/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:

                  >Larry Thomas wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I am talking about NoteTab's on line help. If you look at the menu bar you
                  >> see help. If you click on help a drop down menu appears and the first two
                  >> items on it are "Help Topics" which lists all of the help in a tree style
                  >> format that you can search through and "Search for Help on" which brings up
                  >> the help index that allows you to search for a particular item you are
                  >> looking for.
                  >

                  >>From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
                  >creating a clip:
                  >
                  > 1. Clipbook Tool
                  >
                  > 2. Manually
                  >
                  >Am I right so far? [y/n]

                  >Are there other ways to create clips, beyond these two? [y/n]

                  >So, before I jump in with both feet, I should probably decide
                  >which method I'm going to use to create my first clip, right?
                  >[y/n]

                  >I greatly enjoy writing batch files and BASIC programs, as well
                  >as writing key definition macros in DOS using a program called
                  >Prokey. So, if there is a choice in how I begin, my preference
                  >would be to begin at the level that most closely resembles
                  >writing batch files or BASIC instructions in a simple text file.
                  >
                  >Is that an option? [y/n]

                  >If so, then the first things I'll need to learn are
                  >
                  > 1. what type of file to use (ANSI text?)
                  >
                  > 2. and some rudimentary command syntax
                  >
                  >Does that make sense? [y/n]

                  >And then a way to test and debug my first attempts? [y/n]

                  >If I'm on the right track, then my first question would be how to
                  >name the file for my first clip(s). What is the format for
                  >naming a "clip" file?

                  Press F4 to open the clip library on the left side of the document. Or you
                  can use your mouse to open it from the library buttons at the bottom of the
                  screen.

                  At the top of the list you will see a drop down menu (a combo box actually)
                  with the name of the current library displayed in it.

                  Place your mouse pointer onver that clipbook name and click the right button.

                  Select "New" from the menu that appears and you will get a dialog box that
                  asks for a nme for the new clipbook.

                  Enter the name and press Enter and a new clipbook will open with that name.
                  You do not have to worry about the format of the name. NoteTab places a
                  .clb extension on it automatically.

                  Place your mouse pointer on the blank area below the combo box and click
                  the right button and select "Add a new clip" from the menu that appears.

                  Enter the name of your first clip that you want and press enter.

                  The clip editor window will open, the name you typed for your clip will
                  appear in the clipbook list and you are ready to start typing in your first
                  clip.

                  When you type in clip instructions, you will have to save the file (same
                  method as for any other document) before you can run it.

                  Make sure you have a new blank doc open or an expendable doc that you can
                  run your tests on before you test it.

                  To test you must switch to the test document away from the Clip Editor
                  window. The clip cannot be run with the editor window in focus. (It can
                  with the clipbar but I am not getting into that here.

                  Double click your mouse on the clipname or press F6 to highlight it and
                  press enter and your clip will execute.

                  That is it.

                  I am sorry for using so many references to the mouse but I am just so used
                  to using it and you will need to experiment to see which keys switch you
                  from the document to the clipbook list and back and the other areas. You
                  can go to the on line help and select the index tab and type in "shortcuts"
                  and then display and list of the NoteTab shortcuts.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  larryt@...
                • Eb Guenther
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2000
                    Hi Sleepless in Seattle,

                    > From the online help I gather that there are at least two ways of
                    >creating a clip:
                    >
                    > 1. Clipbook Tool
                    >
                    > 2. Manually

                    I see you've gotten to

                    "How To --> Create Clipbook Libraries"

                    That means you have already discovered the weakest point of
                    NoteTab, the Help file organization. From now on it can only
                    get better.

                    What you really need is to find where the programming help
                    is buried:

                    Click "Help --> Help Topics --> Content -->
                    Reference --> Tools --> Editor Clipbook -->

                    1. Read "Clipbook Libraries",
                    2. read "Clip Basics",
                    3. read "Clip Programming",
                    4. open "Clipbook Programming" folder,
                    5. READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".

                    This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
                    because it contains links to all the other topics
                    you'll need in the future.

                    As to Y/N answers -- it'll take forever to learn
                    NoteTab this way <grin>.

                    Good luck,

                    eb
                  • Sleepless in Seattle
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                      OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
                      text.

                      Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                        Hi Sleepless,

                        At 07:00 AM 2/4/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                        >OK, we're half-way there. The clip worked to select a line of
                        >text.
                        >
                        >Now, how do I assign that "clip" to the key combination Ctrl-Tab?

                        I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys. With the
                        clipbook open and the clip selected/highlighted, you can run it by holding
                        donw the control key and then pressing the space bar. Each press of the
                        space bar while holding the control key will run it again. You can also
                        close the clipbook and press the escape key. You will se a combo box open
                        in the document area. This is the in-context clip menu. Type in the first
                        few leters of the name of the clip until it appears in the box and then
                        press enter. The box will disappear and the clip will run. From that
                        point on until you run a different clip or switch libraries, or close
                        NoteTab, you can run this clip over and over again just by pressing and
                        releasing the escape key and then pressing and releasing the enter key.

                        The newest version which you have (the beta) will be out in about two
                        weeks. It has a clipbar and you can make a button on it for your new clip
                        and just click it with the mouse every time you want to run the clip.

                        To add your new clip to the clipbar:

                        1. One the menu bar select View|Clip Bar and the empty clipbr will appear.

                        2. Open your clipbook and place your mouse pointer on the clip you want to
                        make a button for on the clip bar.

                        3. Press and hold down the left mouse button and drag the clip to the
                        clibar and then release the left mouse button and a new clip bar button
                        will appear. You will see a circle with a slash through it when you start
                        dragging the clip to the clipbar. When you have the clip in a position
                        where you can drop it on the clipbar, the circle with the slash in it will
                        turn into an icon that looks like a tiny blank page to let you know.

                        4. Now you can run the clip just by clicking the button whether the
                        clipbook is open or not.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        larryt@...
                      • Sleepless in Seattle
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                          Larry Thomas wrote:

                          > I am not aware of any way to assign clips to short-cut Keys.

                          Gee, I wish someone had thought to tell me that when I posted the
                          first message in this thread:

                          "I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
                          "clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
                          of text."

                          It would have saved me from spending so much time and effort
                          trying to do what can't be done.
                        • Len
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                            Hi Sleeples;

                            Make the following clip

                            H="X"
                            ^!Keyboard Backspace
                            ; You may want to use ^!Save on this line.
                            ^!Select Line
                            ^!GoTo End

                            Type Spacebar X at the end of the desired line, before the CRLF,
                            and press F2.

                            See Expand Text in Help and let your imagination work.

                            Have fun, Len
                            At 08:55 AM 2/4/00 -0800, you wrote:

                            >"I'd be grateful for help creating a macro (or should I say
                            >"clip?") that will allow me to type <Ctrl-Tab> to select a line
                            >of text."

                            Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                            Avionics Systems Engineer
                            E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                              This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                              Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.

                              1. I received the original as e-mail because I recently subscribed to the
                              news group. Now, in responding, by pressing the "reply" button (MS Outlook
                              Express 5) it appears this note is going to the news group for public
                              display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                              mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                              2. Am I spoiling the thread by accepting the default subject:
                              "Re: [Clip] Re: Clip to select line of text?"

                              3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I proceed in order
                              to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to delete the "Re: [Clip] " from
                              the default subject?

                              4. Now to get to the actual question related to Mr. Guenther's message:

                              >> ...READ "Cliplanguage - Introduction".
                              >>
                              >> This last is the only help page I have bookmarked,
                              >> because it contains links to all the other topics
                              >> you'll need in the future.

                              How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still be there when
                              one re-opens the help files? For some reason, after I set a bookmark in the
                              NTP help files and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time I
                              open NTP help.

                              I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                              Thank you,

                              Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2000
                                Hi Ray

                                > ...but how would I send private mail directly to Eb Guenther or
                                > any other author?

                                When you were on the reply page and you saw the group's address
                                there was a pull down button (or click anywhere in the To: field)
                                and you will see the sender.

                                > 3. If this default subject spoils the thread, how should I
                                > proceed in order to maintain the thread? Would it be enough to
                                > delete the "Re: [Clip] " from the default subject?

                                It is best to try to keep the threads on Topic, but they do
                                drift. You could have replied to the post about selecting a line
                                of text and started a new Topic by using the [ Post to this group
                                ] link located on the Index pages where all the posts are listed
                                at.

                                > How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will still
                                > be there when one re-opens the help files?

                                Mine are saved in Pro ver. 4.6a and beta #26 even after restarting
                                NoteTab. What version are you in?

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 5, 2000
                                  Hi Ray,

                                  your message:
                                  >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
                                  >To: <ntb-clips@egroups.com>
                                  ><snip>
                                  >This is in response to message on [clip] area of NTP newsgroups by Eb
                                  >Guenther dated Feb 4 at 9:41 am.
                                  >
                                  >1. I received the original as e-mail

                                  That is how you receive messages from a listserver,
                                  though the list owner would be the authority here.

                                  >display. That's ok by me in this instance, but how would I send private
                                  >mail directly to Eb Guenther or any other author?

                                  You have to dig into the headers (look for a way to display
                                  "All headers"), and pick out the "From:" header.

                                  In your case this looked like:

                                  >From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

                                  And you would now copy the email address
                                  ("Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>)
                                  and paste it into the "To: " field of your outgoing message.

                                  >How does one set a bookmark in the help files that will
                                  >still be there when one re-opens the help files? For
                                  >some reason, after I set a bookmark in the NTP help files
                                  >and then exit help, the bookmark has evaporated next time
                                  >I open NTP help.
                                  >
                                  >I'm using NTP4.6a and Win98 and Outlook Express 5.

                                  I use Windows NT 4, and have no problem with:

                                  From a Help topic window, click the Bookmark menu button:
                                  [Bookmark]-->[Define]-->(edit name)-->[OK]

                                  or in shortcut keys, from the topic window, press:
                                  [Alt+M]-->D-->[Enter]

                                  The next time you display the Bookmark window, it
                                  should display the bookmark name you assigned.

                                  If not, you have just discovered another of the many
                                  "Undocumented Feature" of Windows 98. Also one of the
                                  many reasons why some people sign their messages with

                                  "cheers",

                                  Eb

                                  Microsoft releases Service Release 1 for Windoze 2OOO
                                  before the actual Windows 2000 is released, beating
                                  their own record of SR1 a week after WIndows 98 debut.