[Clip] need a clip to combine files

  • PatHanneman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2000
      hi!
      I'm new to this list and wonder if there is already a clip available for this task. I've a lot of text files, small. And I want to concatenate - but the file names are varied, so using the dos command is a pain, even in a batch file.

      so, I was wondering if there was a clip to use note tab's "File insert" and continue inserting files from one directory. *.txt files.

      Can you write such a clip for us?

      thanks,
      pat
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2000
        Hi Pat,

        > so, I was wondering if there was a clip to use note tab's "File
        > insert" and continue inserting files from one directory. *.txt
        > files.

        I have a Library called DirStuff on my NoteTab page. I will add
        to it what you want. Should just take me a half hour or so,
        depending on how distracted I get. <g> I send it too you private
        eMail when I get it down and update my site as well which I just
        did last night to some new features 4.8. A couple of the sorting
        methods don't work, but hopefully they will be fixed in 4.8
        (unless it is my problem, then well, hopefully they will get
        fixed too).

        If you know a bit about Clip writing you can edit one of the many
        Clips in the Library to do what you want.

        DirStuff
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/dirstuff.zip

        These are the headers in it and there are default paths as well
        as browse buttons in the Clips. they mainly all work with
        directories. So, I need to add a InsertFile... ;)

        Open Directory...
        Checkbox Multi-Open
        Show/Focus Files
        Checkbox Close
        Checkbox Reload
        Checkbox Append
        AppendToFile
        AppendToDirectory
        ReName Case
        Change Link/Img Case
        Format Links
        HTML to Text
        Make OpenFile.clb
        AllFileNames (Drive)...
        AllFilesOpen (Drive)...
        List Libraries

        QuickZip...
        Multi-Add...
        Extract...
        Multi-Extract...

        Setup
        Setup Directory
        Setup WinZip
        OnOpen

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
      • PatHanneman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2000
          At 02/02/2000 , Jody wrote:
          >Hi Pat,
          >
          > > so, I was wondering if there was a clip to use note tab's "File
          > > insert" and continue inserting files from one directory. *.txt
          > > files.
          >
          >I have a Library called DirStuff on my NoteTab page. I will add
          >to it what you want. Should just take me a half hour or so,
          >depending on how distracted I get. <g>
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

          The clip to append files to one works seamlessly and fast! thank you, Jody for saving us hours of manual clicking.

          To the others, think about getting the revised dirstuff.zip
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab/zip/dirstuff.zip

          The new clip is useful to assemble small files or reassemble email messages. etc.

          Big thanks, Jody,
          You're good!-)

          pat

          health-e-cooking!
          Pat Hanneman (http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/)
          Revised! McTagit.exe and clipbooks (version 4)
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2000
            Hi Pat

            >> I have a Library called DirStuff on my NoteTab page.

            > The clip to append files to one works seamlessly and fast!
            > thank you, Jody for saving us hours of manual clicking.

            I'm glad you found one you could use in there. There are some
            other useful ones also. They may not be need but every now and
            then, but when they are they sure help out.

            >To the others, think about getting

            ;)

            > You're good!-)

            ...there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Rom 3:12) ;)

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
              Hi Pat,

              > I've a lot of text files, small. And I want to
              > concatenate - but the file names are varied, so using the dos command
              > is a pain, even in a batch file.

              I'm sure others will tell you of a clip that works, but if it's a pain for Dos'
              COPY command it will be a pain for a clip.

              Why doesn't

              REM > SEEDFILE.TMP
              COPY SEEDFILE.TMP+*.TXT+*.EXT HUGEFILE.TXT
              DEL SEEDFILE.TMP

              or something along those lines work?

              This batch creates a zero length temporary seed file, to which all files with
              extensions .TXT and .EXT are added and placed in a new file called HUGEFILE.TXT.
              The seed file is then deleted, leaving the original files, the batch file itself
              and the new "huge" concatenated file.

              You may only need "*.*" where I put "*.TXT+*.EXT". Unless your naming
              conventions are very weird, with the aid of the DOS wildcards ? and * you ought
              to be able to come up with a pattern that achieves what you want.

              And if you right-click the batch name in MY COMPUTER, select the PROGRAM tab and
              check the "Close on Exit" box, this will produce a Shortcut which you can move
              to wherever you like and the whole process will run virtually invisibly, when
              you click on the shortcut.

              Greg
            • PatHanneman
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
                At 02/03/2000 , greg wrote:
                >Hi Pat,
                >
                > > I've a lot of text files, small. And I want to
                > > concatenate - but the file names are varied, so using the dos command
                > > is a pain, even in a batch file.
                >
                >I'm sure others will tell you of a clip that works, but if it's a pain for Dos'
                >COPY command it will be a pain for a clip.
                >
                >Why doesn't
                >
                >REM > SEEDFILE.TMP
                >COPY SEEDFILE.TMP+*.TXT+*.EXT HUGEFILE.TXT
                >DEL SEEDFILE.TMP
                >
                >or something along those lines work?

                i don't know.
                i can't remember why i was using the command without wildcard help.

                But it works!

                thanks!
                pat