[Clip] Re: [NTB-CLIPS] Re:Same File Both Windows

  • Chuck Sinclair
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2000
      Thank You, Jim that was a real help.

      Thank You,
      Chuck Sinclair
      http://www.mr-wizard.com

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jim Hall [mailto:jehall@...]
      Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 1:40
      To: ntb-clips@egroups.com
      Subject: [Clip] [NTB-CLIPS] Re:Same File Both Windows

      Hi All,

      Praise the Power of clippin' and Jody's help

      For anyone who desires to open the same file in both windows at the same
      time the following simple clip written by a simpleton will:

      1. Rename and Save the open "DocumentName.ext" as "Original Copy of
      DocumentName.ext".

      2. Make "Original Copy of DocumentName.ext" a read only document.

      3. Create a new copy for editing in the second window and Rename and Save it
      as "DocumentName.ext".

      4. Allow isolation of "Original" files for later deleting or other
      processing.

      If you are not well versed with the Clipbook and adding new libraries or
      clips, the following will aid you in adding this feature:

      1. The clipbook is a window to the left of the editing window. Pressing F4
      toggles (Opens/Closes) the Clipbook window. Open the Clipbook Window.

      2. In the clipbook selection box Select a Library to add this clip to or in
      the top menu go to TOOLS|CLIPBOOK|NEW LIBRARY and create a new Library
      document, rename and save it. Then select the new empty Library.

      3. Copy the text listed below the line at the bottom of this file to the
      clipboard.

      4. In the top menu go to TOOLS|CLIPBOOK|ADD FROM CLIPBOARD and the clip will
      be placed in the selected Library

      5. Open the document you want to have in both windows at the same time and
      execute the "Edit Copy in Second Window" Clip by left clicking on the
      Clipbook window "Edit Copy in Second Window" listing.

      6. Edit and process the two files as you would any other files.

      Note: Obviously rerunning this clip on the "Original Copy of
      DocumentName.ext" will create a "Original Copy of Original Copy of
      DocumentName.ext" etc. etc.

      Also with minor editing the files can be reversed in the windows

      Copy all text below this line

      Edit Copy in Second Window

      ;Get Name of current document
      ^!Set %oldfilename%=^$GetDocName$
      ;Extract path info
      ^!Set %path%=^$Getpath(^%oldfilename%)$
      ;extract filename without path info
      ^!Set %filename%=^$GetFileName(^%oldfilename%)$
      ;Text to insert in old file name
      ^!Set %copy%="Original Copy of "
      ;Build new file name
      ^!Set %newfilename%=^%path%
      ^!Append %newfilename%= ^%copy%
      ^!Append %newfilename%= ^%filename%
      ^!Save AS ^%newfilename%
      ;Make original copy read only
      ^!Keyboard Alt+D O
      ;Copy all text from file 1 in window 1
      ^!Toolbar Copy All
      ;Create file 2 and paste file 1 data to it
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ;Open second window with file 2 open in it
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+W
      ;Move cursor to top of file
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Home
      ;Save the new document to the old document name
      ^!Save AS ^%oldfilename%

      Regards,

      Jim Hall
      Intel Pentium III-500
      128 MB RAM
      32MB Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
      Windows98 First Edition + Upgrades
      Internet Explorer 5.0
      Note Tab Pro
      jehall@...

      Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%
      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
      no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
      credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
      http://click.egroups.com/1/913/3/_/2798/_/949225202/

      -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
      -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ntb-clips&m=1
    • Manuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
        On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:33:23 -0800, Contesto al msg "Chuck Sinclair"
        <chuck@...>

        >Thank You, Jim that was a real help.

        Yes, Chuck the clip of Jim is fantastic. Now I can write on the right
        window and see the contents (home of file) in the left windows.
        ¡ hip hip hurra Jim¡ :)

        The clip works without problem Jim.

        And If I can't copy of the file I can add to the end of the clip
        ^!DeleteFile ^%newfilename%

        Such as I can see the document and left windows but it isn't save,
        don't have a copy but I need to see.

        Then I can close all and don't have a copy of it.
        ----
        Manuel P. Herrera Spain. manuel123@...
        http://members.xoom.com/aula123/solotxt/ (textos electrónicos)
        http://members.xoom.com/aula123/ (cursos por correo)