[Clip] Glossary

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
      I am considering we create a NoteTab glossary.

      It would have definitions for particular words used in
      NoteTab's help file, or terms that occur commonly on the
      NoteTab egroups. The intent is to clarify terminology
      and concepts that may be confusing to NoteTab novices.
      Also, many of the definitions will help aspiring clip
      programmers with the programming jargon we use.

      I especially want to deal with words that are not being
      used quite as one may expect. For example, a paragraph in
      NoteTab is a line of text until the next carriage return,
      and may extend through multiple screen rows if word wrap
      is on. It is not always the same as a literary
      paragraph.

      At this point in time, I am looking for both advice in
      what words should go in the glossary, and for some well
      written "definitions". With the definitions, I need
      clear explanations of any potentially confusing issues.

      Here is my word list so far:

      awk, block operations, bookmark, carriage return,
      circumflex, clip, clipbar, clipbook, clipbook repository,
      command, conditional statement, control characters ,
      delimited text, ebcdic, function, gawk, grep, heading,
      hexadecimal, INI file, integer, label, library, line,
      macro, modeless, outline, paragraph, parameter, Pasteboard,
      path, perl, prompt, regular expression, return, Script,
      second window, shortcut menu, string, subroutine,
      syntax error, template, tilde, tokens, topic, variable,
      wild cards, wizard

      But I am sure there are many, many other terms we use that
      are not clear to all the beginners here.

      Oh, here is your incentive to help me. Those who contribute
      to this effort will be sent the NoteTab Reference Outline (NTRO),
      updated for NoteTab 4.8, several days before I make it available
      to the rest of the world. Alternatively, you can contribute
      improvements for the NTRO itself. Most of the commands still
      need improved descriptions and examples.

      Any contribution to these efforts, no matter how small, will be
      appreciated.

      ========

      The NoteTab Reference Outline is a cross-referenced version of
      the clip-programming section of the NoteTab help file. It is
      slowly being expanded to also include programming examples
      and advice, a trickle of which can be found in the current
      version. You can download the current version (for NoteTab 4.6)
      from: http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • RS
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
        Hi Wayne,

        >I am considering we create a NoteTab glossary.

        Good idea. Here are a few that come to mind:

        * underscore (_)
        * modal (as oppossed to modeless)
        * filename (compared to "path")
        * context menu (note that in NoteTab jargon they are called "shortcut menu"
        which might be very confusing for unaware people - still is for me after
        these many years!)
        * GPF (General Protection Fault)
        * AV (Access Violation)
        * Far Clip

        Regards,

        RS
      • David McIntosh
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
          Hi wayne
          A thought might be to give various examples of the wizards which I still
          find totally confusing.

          THANKYOU DAVE

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
            Hi Wayne,

            > I am considering we create a NoteTab glossary.
            >
            > It would have definitions for particular words used in
            > NoteTab's help file, or terms that occur commonly on the
            > NoteTab egroups. The intent is to clarify terminology and
            > concepts that may be confusing to NoteTab novices. Also, many
            > of the definitions will help aspiring clip programmers with the
            > programming jargon we use.

            Great! I mentioned to Eric about a week ago that when he used
            terms like "parser" and "delimiter" that he lost 90% of
            NoteTabbers and that I felt a glossary was in order. He agreed.
            I am sure he would add it to NoteTab... I understand you would
            like a groups effort and I hope you get some help. I have a
            couple I can send.

            A suggestion I have is to write it in plain English. A glossary
            that needs a computer dictionary that needs another dictionary
            and the need to look up five other things, etc. to understand is
            really not much help. In other words, when possible avoid words
            that are in the glossary and like words.

            For instance from: http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc

            parser
            <language> An algorithm or program to determine the syntactic
            structure of a sentence or string of symbols in some language. A
            parser normally takes as input a sequence of tokens output by a
            lexical analyser. It may produce some kind of abstract syntax
            tree as output. One of the best known parser generators is yacc.

            Yeppers, that really tells this ignernt hillbilly what a parser
            is. <g> If I tried to explain that I'd be just as well off
            telling you a parser is one who eats parsley.
            I think you have this already in the NetCaptor Clip I sent you:

            H=Computer Dictionary
            ^!Url http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=^?[Enter single word to look up]&action=Search

            parser
            input control

            Also, you have delimited text. Perhaps in these definitions at
            the end you could put other forms of the word (or term) to aid in
            searching.

            Delimited Text
            blah, blah, blah
            delimit, delimiter, delimiters, delimited, delimiting

            I imagine you could make a Clip to do that. :)

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...
            mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
              Wayne,
              A glossery would be an immens help, at least to me. I can appreaciate the
              possibilities in NoteTab, but havíng no programming experience (and not in
              text editing either, really) makes it hard to get a grasp of things.
              Making simple clips for inserting html tags, and so on, was a piece of
              cake, but beyond that - I'm stuck.
              I'm sure it's all there in the help file but when you don't understand the
              terminology you're lost.
              So, this would surely be a great thing!

              I haven't been on line for a while so I would like to take this opportunity
              to say "Thanks All" for all the help a got a couple of weeks ago.
              Induvidual thanks seems
              like overdoing it. Thanks All.

              Lotta
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2000
                Hallo Wayne, Jody, Mr Fookes,

                I have been thinking. (Yes! It's true!)

                In spite of my lacking skills I find NTP so very usefull
                1) As a notepad (ha!) and organizer, scribbeling things down, sorting,
                grouping notes, I use outlines all the time instead of IE favourites and so on.
                2) For HTML. I only use simple clips and an occational template - still,
                NTP is the most usefull, quick and flexible editor I have seen, and I have
                tested all I have found at Tucows and such.

                I haven't been 'computing' for so very long time and NTP is the first app
                that has made me, well, happy. When I first got my computor I thought I
                could say goodby to using pen and paper for quick every day notes and
                records - but, oh no, things weren't so quick and handy as I had imagined.
                Anyone open up Word for shoppinglists, reminders, a single entry to a
                record, any simple notes? So, there I was whith my computer, still
                scribbeling on pieces of paper. Now I finaly have a program that function
                the way I thought programs did before I knew computers.

                I have recomended Note Tab to several friends, I have even sent them the
                demo since I wanted to share this experience. What happens? They don't use
                it. They aren't in to HTML, they are more experienced with computers than I
                am, therefor also more 'MicroSofted' . And I can't explain the things I
                know NTP could do with text to them because I don't understand the helpfile!

                So, the bottom line is: newbies that me that want to learn get stuck on
                teminology and oldtimers don't test new stuff if they aren't convinced it
                is worth it, or have a special need. When not managing a more 'well known'
                program you can allways get a book on the subject. That is not the case
                with Note Tab.

                A glossary and a simple toturial with basic examples should do the trick, I
                think. What's keeping me going is that my main interest is HTML, but boy,
                would I love to learn the full potential of NoteTab. A tutorial and
                glossary to educate the simple minded and examples to show the more
                advanced what is really under the hood would in my opinion increase
                popularaty enormously. And give us that is all ready hooked an argument
                when trying to convince others.

                Sorry pestering all with this long letter, but I felt it ought to be said.

                Regards
                Lotta
              • alwilli
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3 7:35 AM
                  Notetab has built in commands for Awk and Perl and any interpreter can
                  be accommodated with the appropriate script.

                  I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
                  Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga
                  OS guru Carl Sassenrath and free at http://www.rebol.com/ is bound to
                  become widespread and it might be useful to include a native command
                  such as ^!RunRebol.

                  Please check it out, its quite amazing in simplicity, ease of use and
                  especially tcp networking abilities. In addition it has powerful text
                  parsing abilities. It is not pitched as opposition to Perl, but it can
                  do most Perl stuff, but far less obtusely.

                  I must point out that this suggestion is prompted only by my
                  understanding of how useful Rebol is and will be and I have no other
                  motive. Im sure that a cursory look at it will allow you to easily see
                  what I mean.
                  --
                  Best regards,
                  Alan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 7 9:48 AM
                    Hello Alan,

                    >I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
                    >Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga
                    >OS guru Carl Sassenrath and free at http://www.rebol.com/ is bound to
                    >become widespread and it might be useful to include a native command
                    >such as ^!RunRebol.
                    >
                    >Please check it out, its quite amazing in simplicity, ease of use and
                    >especially tcp networking abilities. In addition it has powerful text
                    >parsing abilities. It is not pitched as opposition to Perl, but it can
                    >do most Perl stuff, but far less obtusely.

                    REBOL is indeed a very interesting program, and I think that NoteTab would
                    be a good interface for it. However, I'm reluctant to add a special Clip
                    command for it before it really does become widespread. I haven't had time
                    to look at it in detail, but does it use the StdInput and StdOutput devices
                    like Perl and Gawk (especially to make use of its parsing abilities)?

                    Regards,
                    Eric Fookes
                    -----------
                    NoteTab v4.6a available from
                    NoteTab v4.8 Beta from
                    http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

                  • Alan Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 8 3:03 AM
                      Hi Eric,

                      >>I would like to suggest that the new multi-platform "internet communications"
                      >>Relative Expression-Based Object Language (REBOL) developed by Amiga

                      > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....

                      > StdInput and StdOutput devices

                      As far as I can tell, it does not. It was just a thought and not
                      really a necessity. One can write a rebol script in NoteTab then pass
                      the tmp file to the interpreter.

                      Best regards,
                      Alan

                      mailto:alwilli@...
                    • Eb Guenther
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8 8:15 AM
                        Hi Alan,

                        > > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....
                        >
                        > > StdInput and StdOutput devices
                        >
                        >As far as I can tell, it does not.

                        My guess would be, that it has to be able to interface
                        with STDIN and STDOUT.

                        Webservers expect script output to be sent to STDOUT,
                        and the CGI POST method places data into STDIN, where
                        the script must be able to pick it up.

                        So, if REBOL is to work as a CGI, will it not HAVE to
                        interface with STDOUT/IN ?

                        Furthermore, the hype I have seen about REBOL claims to
                        be the answer to a system programmer's prayer, which
                        again means, interfacing with STDIN/OUT.

                        So the only question remaining is, HOW does the programmer
                        implement this interface?

                        Prost,

                        Eb
                      • David Seidman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8 8:09 PM
                          Good guess, Eb. Here is what the REBOL documentation says about STDIN and STDOUT:

                          ------------------------
                          Redirecting Input and Output

                          On most systems it is possible to redirect the standard input from, and output to, files. For example:

                          rebol -w script.r > output-file

                          redirects the output to the specified file. Similarly,

                          rebol -w script.r < input-file

                          redirects input. Both input and output redirection are permitted. Note that the -w option prevents the REBOL console window from spawning as it interferes with standard input and output redirect attempts.

                          ---------------------------

                          That puts a fair amount of unwanted startup output onto standard output. To avoid it, the first command line argument should be -qw instead of just -w.

                          On the other hand, I haven't figured out what you do to get rebol actually to read from standard input -- I figured out how to read from a named file, but I haven't figured out how to specify standard input. Of course, there is a whole lot I haven't figured out about rebol. I've only had it for less than 24 hours, most of which I have spend doing things other than trying to figure out rebol.

                          At 10:15 AM 02/08/2000 -0600, Eb Guenther wrote:
                          >Hi Alan,
                          >
                          >> > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....
                          >>
                          >> > StdInput and StdOutput devices
                          >>
                          >>As far as I can tell, it does not.
                          >

                          >My guess would be, that it has to be able to interface
                          >with STDIN and STDOUT.

                          <SNIP>

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 9 11:32 PM
                            Hi Everyone,

                            If some of you could spare a little bit of your time I believe a
                            whole lot of people would appreciate it. I have about 100 words
                            left that I need definitions to written in every day plain
                            English on a level that somebody with little computer experience
                            can understand. Please only reply to me private eMail if you
                            *will* do it. There is not much time left and I need definite
                            decisions. If you do write, please include your area of
                            expertise if you think that would help me give you words you will
                            know. Also, let me know about how many you think you can do. We
                            don't need a book written, just enough to make it understood for
                            now. TIA mailto:kjb1611@... (You do not have to be a good
                            writer as long as you can make it so Carl Swann can understand -
                            he doesn't know it yet, but he volunteered to edit it. <g>)
                            Credit will be given according to the amount of work you put in;
                            a word will list you in a catch all phrase like "and other
                            contributors." ;)

                            Thanks!
                            Jody

                            Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                            mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
                          • Carl Swann
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10 4:01 AM
                              Jody wrote:

                              > Hi Everyone,
                              >
                              > I have about 100 words
                              > left that I need definitions to written in every day plain
                              > English
                              > (You do not have to be a good
                              > writer as long as you can make it so Carl Swann can understand -
                              > he doesn't know it yet, but he volunteered to edit it. <g>)

                              Methinks I just heard the "railroad" whistle <grin> - sure, Jody, I'll
                              be glad to edit/proof whatever the fine NoteTab writing team comes up
                              with... as long as *you* review the final clip syntax to make sure
                              it's correct! I proudly remain an "eternal newbie" to the deeper
                              intricacies of NoteTab clipwriting...

                              > Thanks!

                              Thank YOU for your leadership on these lists!

                              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                            • Ronin
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 10 5:57 AM
                                Hi All,
                                When I produce a script using a particular library how do I launch another application and paste the script into it?
                                Imre

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 10 8:39 AM
                                  Hi Carl

                                  >Methinks I just heard the "railroad" whistle <grin> - sure, Jody, I'll
                                  >be glad to edit/proof whatever the fine NoteTab writing team comes up
                                  >with... as long as *you* review the final clip syntax to make sure
                                  >it's correct! I proudly remain an "eternal newbie" to the deeper
                                  >intricacies of NoteTab clipwriting...

                                  Thanks, there probably won't be any Clip commands given. If you can't understand it, then it is not written so most people can understand it and needs to be made that way. That is why you are idea for this. :)

                                  >Thank YOU for your leadership on these lists!

                                  Some folk sure want to give me a hard time about it it seems. <g>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 10 9:10 AM
                                    Hi Carl and All,

                                    > Thanks, there probably won't be any Clip commands given.

                                    I do have a few takers so far! :-)

                                    I thought this was private eMail, but obviously not, sorry.

                                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                                    mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                                    http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 10 10:52 PM
                                      Hi Ronin,

                                      > When I produce a script using a particular library how do I
                                      > launch another application and paste the script into it?

                                      Something on these lines should do it for you:

                                      H=Launch & Paste
                                      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$ [or variable, etc.]
                                      ^!SetHintInfo Launch time!
                                      ^!"..\Path\to\App.exe"
                                      ^!FocusApp "name of app on titlebar"
                                      ^!Delay 2
                                      ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "name of app on titlebar" Next else Skip_2
                                      [^!Keyboard any keyboard shortcuts]
                                      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

                                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                                      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                                      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
                                      http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
                                    • Harvey R. Savage
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 11 3:35 PM
                                        Jody,

                                        I'm sure you've had several volunteers already but, I'll try to
                                        lend a hand if necessary.

                                        hrs

                                        --
                                        ¿? Harvey R. Savage