Has NoteTab changed the location of Clip Libraries?

  • yclipse@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2014
      The libraries have always been, I thought, .clb files located in a Libraries folder under the NoteTab Pro folder.

      Recently, after not having created or edited a clip in more than two years, I undertook to clean one out. I edited three or four clips, and added two more. Saved each edit. But the library itself never changed. The .clb file still bears a filestamp date from 2006. I restarted NoteTab and restarted Windows, and still no change. I searched my entire system for .clb files, thinking that maybe I was runing NTP from an unexpected location, but that came up empty as well.

      Interestingly, my edits are still there. If I transfer the .clb to my other computer, though, the old version of the clips shows up.

      Any ideas? Running version 7.1.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2014
        "yclipse@... [ntb-clips]" wrote:
        > .clb files located in a
        > Libraries folder under the NoteTab Pro folder.

        If your OS is newer than Win98 and unless you actively prevented it, the
        libraries really used are in your user folder on the system partition.
        There is, I believe, an easy way to prevent that but I would have to reread
        the manual.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2014

          The active .clb files are probably not where you think they are. If you edited those in the NoteTab Libraries folder, and are using Vista or newer, Wiindows did you the favor of relocating the edited files to a dumb trick Microsoft created called 'Shadow Storage'. That is for files that get editing in the Program Files location. And, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose to hide that folder, so you can't find the files unless you open your file explorer and unhide hidden files, folders, etc.

          Or, you could use Everything, the best file finder around, to locate any file on your computer, instantly.

          http://www.voidtools.com/ (Free). It inventories all the files on your computer and you 'find' something simply by creating the correct mask for files. .clb would find all the clip files, on any drive, in any folder, in under a second.

          The easiest way I have found to deal with programs that do not work as wanted in Program Files, is to create a new folder, Programs, and install those programs there. Even if you do that, NoteTab will still install its files in the C:\Users…\...\... folder, where you will constantly be forced to search for them, instead of simply looking in your Libraries folder (That is, if you regularly edit library files, which I do.)

          To fix that, you have to tell NoteTab to work locally. You do that either by renaming your NoteTab.ini file, and creating a new, empty one in the Libraries folder, OR, by editing your existing NoteTab.ini file with NotePAD with NoteTab closed, and change these lines to false:

          UseRegistry=0

          UseProfileFolder=0

          Save, then restart NoteTab (with the edited .ini file in the NoteTab folder), and all will be as it was in the past. (This last bit is in the NoteTab help system, although stated a little differently. My way works good, and has for several years now.)

          The value for me in doing it this way is that you can zip up your NoteTab folder and copy it to a thumb drive, then use it on any other computer, with all the same settings and libraries intact. It's a good backup as well, obviously.

          I hate that Microsoft has decided to distribute installations all over the computer because they screwed up how installations worked in XP. They should have left the old Program Files location totally alone, and created a new, secure installation folder that worked the newer way. But then, Microsoft would have had to rerelease all its own programs to work in a new folder, so they created this abomination that affects every user in the world that chooses to migrate away from xp to a newer Windows version.

          RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/recipetools/

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2014

            I misspoke below, and want to correct it. To run locally, the .ini file goes with NoteTab.exe, not in the Libraries folder.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15, 2014
              Thanks, John, that worked.